C4junkie

Heos/Spotify/Alexa/Sonos

What's the problem here?

Denon has been saying the Heos entertainment skill "is coming" ie it will support Spotify, for months and months - near on over a year now..

Is this a spat between Denon and Spotify or Denon and Amazon? Or Amazon and Spotify (Don't see why cause Sonos is now supported)? 

How can companies get away with saying "it's coming" when the time frame is over a year...

I mean so is a Mars landing "coming" I guess... one day!

How long do folks around here consider for a viable "it's coming" time frame?

Anyone have any clues why the hold up? 

Thanks. 

It's pretty simple for me. Either "it's here"...or it's not. I don't buy a product or wait on a feature that's critical to me based on undelivered promises.

If competing products have the feature you want, go to the other product. Yes, it sucks to have to buy something new, but sometimes it's the best option.

Having worked in this area, my speculation is that is has nothing to do with spats between companies. Amazon and Spotify don't play favorites - they work with anyone. The singular problem is Denon not being able to develop and deliver the software. They are most likely devoting resources to other, more profitable, product lines. The Sonos lawsuit revealed one interesting fact: HEOS isn't a huge business for Denon. They haven't sold that many units. And Denon settled, which means royalties to Sonos and even lower profitability. If these missing features are important to you, you may want to consider alternatives.

22 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Sonos and Alexa is brilliant 

Thanks fro the tip  Gary. So I have tried this and got it working. Very cool. All expect Alexa Volume control of the Spotify app. Is there an add on Alexa skill to do that? Thanks! 

10 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

We just say alexa turn volume up in kitchen ETC and the Volume turns up.

Are you using the Sonos Skill ? 

No. Sonos endpoints are just dumb Spotify Connect endpoints. Volume control is via Spotify.

Set up the sonos skill and have Spotify on sonos and see how that works out. 

We do not use Spotify, but have Amazon Music and it works brilliant 

Had a Beach Boy night last week !!!

So everything you are saying isn't relevant. Lol. You don't use the setup described

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ok I have found an additional Alexa skill called "Connect Control for Spotify" I will have a bit of a play around with that. Thanks everyone for your help!

edit/update.. heck there are quite a few additional Alexa Spotify skills. Are most of these 3rd party? Like unofficial? Which one is best? Particularly for Volume control? having a bit of a play right now with Speakerfy- "the Unofficial Spotify Connect Skill"  "Unofficial"  LOLZ