C4 Forums | Control4

IP Cameras Recommendation

JFan84

56 minutes ago, JFan84 said:

Forgive me for my ignorance everyone... So I'm looking into Blue Iris as we speak... Is this software something we would set up on the Customers laptop/ PC per job?  

Probably.  Pc not laptop.  Needs to run 24x7.  If more than 2-3 cameras yeah I’d build a PC just for it

im a Mac guy.  I have a PC for blue iris and composer HE.  That’s it.  

You also have to consider electrical surges or power failures.  Will Blue Iris just start right up without any human interference?  It would be ideal if there are "After power failure" bios settings on the PC so you can set to "Always On" or "Last State"  and you would also have to tinker around with auto starting blue iris on boot.  That itself does not work as easily as you may think.  I had to search for a method and found this:

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11949-elevated-program-shortcut-without-uac-prompt-create.html?ltr=E

1 hour ago, dcovach said:

You also have to consider electrical surges or power failures.  Will Blue Iris just start right up without any human interference?  It would be ideal if there are "After power failure" bios settings on the PC so you can set to "Always On" or "Last State"  and you would also have to tinker around with auto starting blue iris on boot.  That itself does not work as easily as you may think.  I had to search for a method and found this:

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11949-elevated-program-shortcut-without-uac-prompt-create.html?ltr=E

It’s possible. My uncle walked me thru it a few years ago.  I don’t need a password to log into windows and blue iris will automatically start upon boot.  

So yes it’s possible.  Just can’t keep the pc on a ups that gives it a graceful shutdown. Then it will not come back on

10 hours ago, sturama said:

Wait, I thought that running Blue Iris as a service would ensure that it runs automatically when windows restarts?

I should have elaborated.  Apologies.  The service can be selected to auto start, but not Blue Iris console.  If you're intending to output the video of the PC to a TV or a matrix and the computer restarts, the full Blue Iris console won't start automatically so all you'll see is the Windows desktop screen.  You would have to manually run blue iris to see the console.  That's why I posted the above link to auto start the console.

I currently have a 10 drive Unraid server set up for storage and Plex. Also running a Windows VM for Blueiris. So far it seems to work pretty well. Only issue on the C4 side is I can’t get any video, just single frames of video. 

On 1/4/2019 at 7:10 AM, lippavisual said:

Been a Synology fan from the beginning.  Haven’t really used any other NVRs because of the workhouse ability of the Synology.  Stream movies, save laptop backups, nvr for cameras, cloud sync, etc. 

Plus their apps are easy to use as well.

For the price, why pay for a nvr when that is all it does.

I have a Synology NAS and an AE1 on the way.  The new house has a couple of coax+2 lead runs that go to the NAS location.  Can you recommend a camera and coax to IP solution?  Thanks  Martin

Archived