C4 Forums | Control4

Apple Watch

Mike_S101

I used the homebridge driver so I can get control through Siri.

Siri works great With my Apple Watch.  So does the native Home app.

I will caveate there's no native audio control in HomeKit...and I wouldn't use my watch to control the TV or change channels anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got it to work for the first time (had to force quit the Watch app and then it asked me to open the iPhone app to sync). 

Though I don’t know what I am supposed to see in terms of functionality. 

When watching a source on TV, I see a button that says “Media”  with a house icon. Clicking that takes me to a screen that says “Now Playing” at the top and there is a volume control on the screen.  It does in fact control the volume of the currently playing TV source. Unfortunately the smart crown has no effect on the volume, you actually have to tap the + or - on the screen. 

There is no other functionality I can see. 

Would be nice to be able to start a source in a room or mute, or play / pause / rew / ff a source. Also lighting / shading control would be nice.  Like a mini me version of the C4 app. Don’t know why they’d think this suffices as is unless I am missing something. 

Anyone know of any other functionality?

Holy undocumented features. 

Not sure if anyone caught this, but if you force touch the watch screen when the volume control is up you get options for:

Room Off -  (actually works)

Mute - (works)

Rooms -  (takes you to a screen with all of your rooms where you can toggle them on and off. Adding rooms to currently playing only works with stereo PCM sources - ex. I was using 5.1 TV source and to send that audio to rooms I’d have to set the TV audio source to PCM output  - it worked great when just playing a normal audio source.

I also found that depending on the source you do get controls for the media playing (pause, ff, rew) - very dependent on the media playing - for example I only had volume control for my TiVo and when playing a “Station” from the Control4 native Amazon Music source, while streaming an audio source from my phone to Control4 showed the full set of pause,ff, rew and volume on the watch.  Also for audio sources the watch shows the cover art and text for the currently playing song.

Maybe not as useless as I (we) thought??

(or did everyone already know how this worked ?? I figured it out by mistake)...

I don't think anyone is saying that it doesn't have potential or that some of these features are not cool.  I think most people think it is inconsistent.  Mine has worked a little bit here and there but a lot of the time it doesn't.  Won't load or crashes when you try to do something.  

I think if it worked consistently and Control4 spent time working out the bugs, I don't think you would be getting the same feedback from the group.

Plus apple changes stuff and trying to keep up with that has to be a chore for Control4.

• 3 months later...

Depends on what you mean by consistently...

For me (latest Apple Watch Series 4 and latest iOS and WatchOS) it never works without doing the Refresh (by force touching the screen) and having the App open on the iPhone (which somewhat defeats the purpose)...

Once it recognizes there is Media playing, it works nicely allowing changes of tracks, and most importantly volume control - really nice when you are out by the pool and don't want to get your phone to make volume or track adjustments...talk about 1st world problems...

The lighting controls are also pretty nice to have, although I cannot figure out why I only see a portion of my overall lighting...

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that there was quite a bit of work put into the watch app for 2.10.  We streamlined much of the communication and it is much faster than before.  You'll notice that media (audio/video) and scenes are missing from this version but will make their way back in as part of the next release.  Please feel free to check it out.  

- Clint

2 hours ago, jakblak said:

It's not compatible with the 3.0 app, but it is compatible with 2.10

Will it come to 3.0?  I do have to say I tried it on my 2.10 system before I upgraded today and noticed how much better it was!  Great work!!  Now that I’m in 3.0 it’s not much use, but if it can be ported over I would definitely use it.

11 minutes ago, control4user007 said:

Will it come to 3.0?  I do have to say I tried it on my 2.10 system before I upgraded today and noticed how much better it was!  Great work!!  Now that I’m in 3.0 it’s not much use, but if it can be ported over I would definitely use it.

I wouldn't bet on it. If there is enough interest, it may make sense to make a new app to accompany 3.0, but that's the issue, the interest is and has been extremely minimal from what I've heard and seen.

4 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

I wouldn't bet on it. If there is enough interest, it may make sense to make a new app to accompany 3.0, but that's the issue, the interest is and has been extremely minimal from what I've heard and seen.

Fair enough.  Too bad because I can tell that put a lot of work into the watchOS app (and I’ve written them and know what a pain they can be to get right).  I think if people experienced the reliability (such as the native HomeKit app with homebridge) they would start using it.  Would be nice to have it cover areas the HomeKit app falls short on (mainly simple AV control and non doorbell security cameras)  - could be a big hit!

1 hour ago, control4user007 said:

While we don't comment on future releases we are evaluating the feasibility and practicality of bringing Apple Watch functionality to 3.0.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.