C4 Forums | Control4

Wireless outlet dimmer not going to 0%

I have a wireless outlet dimmer that doesn't seem to be cutting power all the way off.  In the monitoring tab, C4 thinks the load is at 0%, but there is a faint light coming from the lamps (both outlets behave the same)

Any suggestions of what this could be?  I'm assuming it is hardware malfunction, but I don't have another to replace it.  So I'd rather troubleshoot first.

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, tcwalker5 said:

I did try with an incandescent and no visible light.  Very weird to me.

Very normal to me - you're not reaching the minimum wattage threshold.

53 minutes ago, tcwalker5 said:

0 power should be the same regardless of the bulb.

No, it really shouldn't.

8 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Very normal to me - you're not reaching the minimum wattage threshold.

I am trying to turn the lights off, so I'm not following how a minimum threshold would be reached.  I want it to be zero.

9 minutes ago, Cyknight said:
1 hour ago, tcwalker5 said:

0 power should be the same regardless of the bulb.

No, it really shouldn't.

I'm very confused, under what conditions should off not be off?

5 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

LED are so efficient, especially when they are not dimmable and dimmers still allow a trickle of power even at off. Especially outlet dimmers which are very old and have not gotten updated to include LEDs

Ok, this helps.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, tcwalker5 said:

I am trying to turn the lights off, so I'm not following how a minimum threshold would be reached.  I want it to be zero.

I'm very confused, under what conditions should off not be off?

To further clarify a dimmer at 0% (ANY dimmer) is not OFF at all. That's why many dimmers (on wall switches or 'lamp modules') have a final 'push down that 'clicks' or a separate toggle button for full on/off.

And that minimum threshold is the minimum wattage requirement for the device in use, and yes dimmers have minimum wattage requirements (again, not jsut C4).

As sonic mentioned, for those outlet dimmers, that's quite high - they predate LED bulbs -and dimmable CFL bulbs- for lamps and common house lighting being something your average consumer would look at or even know about).

Off the top of my head, that minimum is something along the line of 25W for the outlet dimmer - nothing for incandescent or halogen lighting, but 25W of LED is...what 200W incandescent equivalent?

Your assumption is (was) that a dimmer at 0% means it is 'off' in that there is no power running though, which is incorrect (or perhaps inaccurate is a better word choice).

3 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Your assumption is (was) that a dimmer at 0% means it is 'off' in that there is no power running though, which is incorrect (or perhaps inaccurate is a better word choice).

So I have come to learn.  Thank you.

Archived