C4 Forums | Control4

Button settings (LED behavior)

drmark12pa

In adding and updating some programming, I'm curious how most people set their button behavior.  My most typical room buttons are for lights (green on, red off) and music (yellow on, blue off).  In looking at the Properties one can select for LED Behavior, there are 3 options: FOLLOW CONNECTION, PUSH/RELEASE, and PROGRAMMED.  I typically have used PROGRAMMED and then use a macro to change button colors which seems to be the easiest way I have found.  However, I'm wondering if the FOLLOW CONNECTION would be more efficient.  I assume this has to be changed in Composer Express or Pro to link it to a specific "load"?  Any ideas on the best way to use this LED Behavior setting?

Follow connection is for tracking an individual lighting load or an advanced lighting scene.  You're correct that a dealer needs to make these links for you - they bind a scene or a load to the switch via Composer Pro.

I've never tried to bind it to anything other than a lighting load - I don't think it's possible to bind a button to music or other statuses. For that you need to continue to use programming.

All have their uses.

Typically, I use Follow Connection for most of my lights as this requires no programming and is quick and easy.

I use push / release for alarm panic buttons.  They stay red normally (ie when released) and go black (off) when pushed.

I use programming for music, blinds and other such things and in complicated lighting scenarios anywhere where I have more than 2 LED colours) or where I don’t always want the LED to show even though the light is on (e.g. I don’t have the LED activate if lights come on due to motion sensors).

17 hours ago, livitup said:

I've never tried to bind it to anything other than a lighting load - I don't think it's possible to bind a button to music or other statuses. For that you need to continue to use programming.

actually the new room control driver allows you to make bindings to a lot of multi media control. Really cool driver for dealers to make programming faster and more efficient. however it has its downsides too. Right now shuffle is not available for pandora. driver bug that is being worked on.

On 1/17/2019 at 8:29 AM, drmark12pa said:

In adding and updating some programming, I'm curious how most people set their button behavior.  My most typical room buttons are for lights (green on, red off) and music (yellow on, blue off).  In looking at the Properties one can select for LED Behavior, there are 3 options: FOLLOW CONNECTION, PUSH/RELEASE, and PROGRAMMED.  I typically have used PROGRAMMED and then use a macro to change button colors which seems to be the easiest way I have found.  However, I'm wondering if the FOLLOW CONNECTION would be more efficient.  I assume this has to be changed in Composer Express or Pro to link it to a specific "load"?  Any ideas on the best way to use this LED Behavior setting?

I typically encourage using push/release for any buttons that are programmed. this at least gives the user the feeling that the button is noticed that it is pressed even if the programming does not work still gives real time feed back. then through programming the colors can be changed to indicate what has happened after the button press.  Follow connection is more for faster programming for dealers and can be imitated through programming 

On 1/18/2019 at 1:36 PM, Matt Lowe said:

actually the new room control driver allows you to make bindings to a lot of multi media control. Really cool driver for dealers to make programming faster and more efficient. however it has its downsides too. Right now shuffle is not available for pandora. driver bug that is being worked on.

100% correct.  I forgot about that - I need to get in the habit of doing more with that driver. :)

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 4:08 PM, msgreenf said:

Bindings are the fastest most efficient way to work

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Once those are set though, I assume a dealer can only change them making a bit more problematic if an end user wants to program a button differently since the behavior will already be "locked" in?

26 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

Once those are set though, I assume a dealer can only change them making a bit more problematic if an end user wants to program a button differently since the behavior will already be "locked" in?

You have access to the settings for led behavior directly, and if you want to remove a binding, this can be done by reconfiguring the button layout (just set it the same) - at whcich point you have the option to 'assign' old buttons to whatever new buttons you want.

In other words if there are two buttons and you want to remove a binding from the bottom one, reconfigure, do two buttons again, and copy button 1 to button 1, but leave button 2 'free'

If you have a button with a binding to a lighting scene, can you still program another alternative scene on a double tap?  Previously I had all my lighting buttons set to switch on scenes via bindings.  When I then programmed in something on a doubletap, it would both activate the bound scene then execute the double tap programming.  My intended behaviour would be to just execute the double tap programming on the double tap event.  Is this possible?

• 1 month later...

I use blue/black "follow load" on lights, and different colors on "program" when using different scenes. I use red for actions such as "close house, or set alarm", and I usually require the button to be pressed at least two times to prevent theses kind of actions to be turned on by accident.

I often use black/black in bedrooms where people may be bothered by lights.

8 hours ago, Singularity said:

I use blue/black "follow load" on lights, and different colors on "program" when using different scenes. I use red for actions such as "close house, or set alarm", and I usually require the button to be pressed at least two times to prevent theses kind of actions to be turned on by accident.

I often use black/black in bedrooms where people may be bothered by lights.

Often worth swapping to black (backlight anyway) at night in bedrooms but leaving it normal during the day

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2019 at 1:36 PM, Matt Lowe said:

Do you know if the "no shuffle with Pandora" was ever fixed?  I'm just now playing with the driver in 2.10.6 and I don't see a way to shuffle either.. which is sort of a showstopper for me.

On 5/23/2019 at 1:54 PM, LollerAgent said:

Do you know if the "no shuffle with Pandora" was ever fixed?  I'm just now playing with the driver in 2.10.6 and I don't see a way to shuffle either.. which is sort of a showstopper for me.

its a known issue. likely not fixed yet due to os3.0 release. i just program it in that case its just as easy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.