C4 Forums | Control4

Best setup for Amplifier and Matrix Switch

macshack

I have the leaf 6 x 6 HDMI matrix switch.  I also have an onkyo Amp.  

wanted to see what is the best setup for both of these.  

• currently I have all my equipment in my closet near my living room and want to keep it there.  the Amp and the leaf are both at this location.
  • The amp is directly connected via HDMI cable to my living room tv currently.  
  • I have 4 other TV zones that are connected via the leaf via ethernet cable.
  • The amp has the direct tv receiver, Roku, HC800 interface, Sony bluray player, Playstation as the input
  • the HDMI switch has the 2nd Direct tv receiver, roKU, apple TV, Fire TV attached.

my question is what is the best way to integrate all of these devices:

- do you recommend the output from Amp go into the HDMI switch and use one of HDMI outputs from the matrix switch to connect to my living room TV as the 5th zone or

- do you recommend the outpt from the HDMI matrix go into the AMp and then gets connected to my living room TV. 

-  or do you recommend keeping both separate

any pros and cons to either setup?  

Thank You!

I might have this wrong ( I am sure guys on here will put me straight) but  it all depends what you want your setup to do? Your current setup mean that your living room is running totally separate from your your other zones. This is fine but none of your other displays will have access to the sources you currently have connected to your amp. I would have all sources especially the controller through the matrix then have the hdmi run through the amp before running to the TV.

• 3 months later...
On 1/18/2019 at 8:25 PM, macshack said:

I have the leaf 6 x 6 HDMI matrix switch.  I also have an onkyo Amp.  

wanted to see what is the best setup for both of these.  

• currently I have all my equipment in my closet near my living room and want to keep it there.  the Amp and the leaf are both at this location.
  • The amp is directly connected via HDMI cable to my living room tv currently.  
  • I have 4 other TV zones that are connected via the leaf via ethernet cable.
  • The amp has the direct tv receiver, Roku, HC800 interface, Sony bluray player, Playstation as the input
  • the HDMI switch has the 2nd Direct tv receiver, roKU, apple TV, Fire TV attached.

my question is what is the best way to integrate all of these devices:

- do you recommend the output from Amp go into the HDMI switch and use one of HDMI outputs from the matrix switch to connect to my living room TV as the 5th zone or

- do you recommend the outpt from the HDMI matrix go into the AMp and then gets connected to my living room TV. 

-  or do you recommend keeping both separate

any pros and cons to either setup?  

Thank You!

if your matrix can down mix for the stereo zones it not a big deal. if you dont have the down mix you might need to connect each of your surround sound devices need to be connected individually to the receiver to get the best audio. I also perfer my amp to have its own connection separate of the tv to allow for video and separate audio simultaneously.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.