C4 Forums | Control4

What Driver for Samsung Q8F

ekohn00

• 3 weeks later...

Just now, Singularity said:

There is an IP driver available in Director, but I am having problems with it turning on the TV. Everything else seems to work fine. I might try to trigger on using RF if I cant find another solution. Maybe it will work fine for you?

I got the driver.  Works with no issues at all. The only caveat is once the TV turns off, you need to wait a bit before it will turn back on.

That's a limitation of the protocol.  If the driver doesn't wait out the full 'power off delay' time, it can get the driver into an unusable state, where the TV responds, so the driver assumes the TV is on, where it's really still shutting down it's IP stack, which takes a surprisingly long amount of time.

RyanE

6 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

That is power savings setting on the tv. You can't change that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The thing I dont understand is why C4 is unable to turn it on, while the "smartthings" app from Samsung fires it up right away. Shouldnt the power saving settings be the same for both?

I have a Samsung Q8.  I also thought that the IP driver would work and wanted to use it.  My dealer struggled to get it to work properly and ended up using an IR blaster.  I'm a bit disappointed to have to use an IR blaster given the otherwise clean look of the bezel of the TV.

Perhaps Samsung will do some updates to allow it to work properly.  Seems stupid that Samsung hasn't addressed this since they specifically created the Q8 to address customer and custom installers that wanted rear of TV direct connections (as opposed to their One Connect box found on the Q9 and Q7) for environments like Control4 where TVs would likely be hung on the wall and integrated into a system.

If anyone has it, or gets it working properly, please update us.

Just now, anon2828 said:

If anyone has it, or gets it working properly, please update us.

As per above....I have the IP driver working with no problems.  I have a direct connect instead of Wifi, in case that made a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ran into the WOL not working after ten minutes of tv being off on all Samsung TV's ? All my Samsung TV's are current on firmware and control just fine when on but after being off for a while IP control will not turn on tv's. The tv's all fall offline. I rebooted, power cycled, static ip,  DDNS changed, deleted/reentered, replaced, prayed, and sworn. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated ?

14 hours ago, Whaaaaaat ?! said:

Has anyone ran into the WOL not working after ten minutes of tv being off on all Samsung TV's ? All my Samsung TV's are current on firmware and control just fine when on but after being off for a while IP control will not turn on tv's. The tv's all fall offline. I rebooted, power cycled, static ip,  DDNS changed, deleted/reentered, replaced, prayed, and sworn. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated ?

In General -> Network -> Expert Settings, ensure that 'Power On with Mobile' is enabled.

RyanE

What year Samsung?
I believe the old pre-4K, but not sure what year,won’t WOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Archived