C4 Forums | Control4

Need advise and recommendation on new/old equipment

Dewana421

Hi guys 
First of I apologies if this question have been asked here before....
I am a new starter and would like to turn my home in to a smart home. I heard about control4 from a friend of mine.
Currently I have philips hue bulbs all over my house and Nest thermostats and all so yes I am a little up to date on stuff but I would like to tie all that together.
I would also like my home theater system and home speakers to be able to controlled all by Control4. I also have outside speakers in my patio which I would like to play music on from it.

The issue is I do not have eithernet cable all around my house.

do I need to have a hard wire cable?

Does control4 provide wireless devices that would work?

Which model device I need to get that I can accomplish all these tasks....there are so many different models but I don’t know what exactly I need?

Can I get different devices and connect to the different setups in my house and can they be tied all together through a main hub or device?

i tried searching but not much information is available.

I will really appreciate any help on this.

thank you 

By the sound of it what you really need to do is get a dealer to walk your home to give you a true idea of what is possible or not.

The sort, limited available info, version however is:

-You need cabling to distribute video around the house (if that is what you want

-You need cabling to distribute audio around the house (And/or feed TV audio back to the location the speaker wires are at)

-Control4 CAN do local control over wireless connections, so it is not a MUST to hardwire all locations for network (strongly recommended, if only because your WiFi needs may skyrocket)

As for what devices you need.... no-one can tell you exactly what you need based on the info you gave out, but a large part of the reason there are so many devices is to allow many options to cover many situations.

I'll state again, have a local dealer walk you through it - then come back to get input on if what they told you seems accurate/reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi
So i had a dealer walk down my house last week and he advised me i need a EA3 and a EA1. Now my question is if i buy these equipment myself is there anyway i can program them or do i have to have him do it for me?
I am a DIY kind of person and like to do it myself and also save money as the dealer is super expensive. Please help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, Dewana421 said:

Hi
So i had a dealer walk down my house last week and he advised me i need a EA3 and a EA1. Now my question is if i buy these equipment myself is there anyway i can program them or do i have to have him do it for me?
I am a DIY kind of person and like to do it myself and also save money as the dealer is super expensive. Please help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

c4 is not 100% DIY

you need a dealer to set up your project and add hardware/drivers and make bindings.  You can do 100% of the programming with a 1x cost of $149 for software called Composer Home Edition.  You can do all the programming a dealer can do, but you cannot add new devices to your project.  That is the C4 business model.  Tons of threads for and against so no need to keep rehashing.

There is another sub forum on here called looking for an integrator: http://www.c4forums.com/forum/26-looking-for-an-integrator/ - perhaps their rates will be better since they work remote vs coming onsite to you and they'll approve to work with 2nd hand hardware so you can source some stuff off ebay or the marketplace on this forum http://www.c4forums.com/forum/20-wanted-for-sale/ .  Just food for thought.

To add onto eggzlot's post....

If  you like you can work with any of the remote dealers here to purchase the equipment. You can install it with some guidance and then have the remote dealer configure any programming. This can be less cost than your local dealer since you are doing to onsite work.

Archived