In ceiling speakers and TV sound.

ILoveControl

Question

Hi all

Have a bit of a complicated question,

Components in the mix:

1. In ceiling speakers around the house the small ones are:

F33C6FCE-C231-48C0-8119-8BFC0CFB43D2.jpg

The bigger ones are B&W as well just don’t have a pic.

2. I have (unfortunately) a C4 Leaf matrix

3. I have a Yamaha receiver

4. Many input devices , cable, apple tv, nvidia shields, cameras etc.

Right so the question:

For now I am (full details on another thread of mine) I cant get the leaf to work due to cable issues to my different rooms in the house.

My *short term* workaround even though it goes against the “leaf manual” is since some cables work with the leaf to have all the inputs into the Leaf the the outputs, using the baluns via HDMI into my yamaha receiver. From there use the trusty old china baluns that work no matter what to my TVs.

Here is where the catch comes I wanted to make use of the in ceiling speakers in all the rooms in some instances it will only be the in ceiling in some instances I have the YSP5600 sound bar. Where there is the sound bar I want to use those together with the in ceiling speakers.

Wiring the speakers up to the receiver no issue sorting the plaster and spit setup with Leaf output to receiver no issue, now its how to make use of the ceiling speakers and not the tv sound and where there is a sound bar how to do in roof as well as sound bar.

To make my life more incredibly complex I have been researching quite a bit and there instances where there is audio delay with the TV pictures, just wanted to know your experiences or best practices to get around this.

Would appreciate the help or guidance even if its to tell me I am nuts. I would of course wanted to just use my leaf matrix but its proving more complicated than world peace or finding a cure for flu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 answers to this question

I'm assuming here that you want to use the soundbar and ceiling speakers separately, but have the option to use either in the rooms that have both.

The best way to have the option of ceiling speakers or soundbar would be to have two different rooms in Control4 for one physical room, for example "Lounge Soundbar" and "Lounge Ceiling". This ensures you always have control of the correct volume device for the speakers you are using. It's a bit more programming, but makes things much easier to use than trying to hack something together in one room to control 2 different end points.

There will be a delay if you convert analog audio to digital, or digital to analog. Different devices will introduce different amounts of delay, for example an EA3 will delay by about 3 seconds (which for viewing anything would be unwatchable as you would see someone's mouth move then hear their voice 3 seconds later!). Video processing in the AVR can also cause a delay in the video (meaning the audio is heard before the video is seen), but AVRs will include lip sync correction which allows you to delay the audio slightly to get it back in sync. Your best bet IMO is to set it all up and see what the situation is, then deal with it accordingly.

On 1/30/2019 at 1:39 AM, ILoveControl said:

2. I have (unfortunately) a C4 Leaf matrix

Is it the Downmixing version (a -D in the part number)?

Here is where the catch comes I wanted to make use of the in ceiling speakers in all the rooms in some instances it will only be the in ceiling in some instances I have the YSP5600 sound bar. Where there is the sound bar I want to use those together with the in ceiling speakers.

Wiring the speakers up to the receiver no issue sorting the plaster and spit setup with Leaf output to receiver no issue, now its how to make use of the ceiling speakers and not the tv sound and where there is a sound bar how to do in roof as well as sound bar.

Rooms that only have the in ceiling speakers it's simple... bind the "Video's Audio" to the last controllable device.  Sounds like that should be the AVR.  How do you have the AVR physically connected to the video matrix?

In rooms where there is a soundbar it's more complex.  Control4 doesn't really handle this well - the best solutions is to use two rooms per Unsocialtoaster's suggestion.

On 1/30/2019 at 1:39 AM, ILoveControl said:

To make my life more incredibly complex I have been researching quite a bit and there instances where there is audio delay with the TV pictures, just wanted to know your experiences or best practices to get around this.

The down-mixing Leaf matrixes have the ability to split out audio, convert it to two channel stereo, add a configurable amount of delay, and spit it out a pair of RCA outputs.  This is the only satisfactory solution I've ever found to this situation, it's the one I use in my house, and the only one I'll support with clients.

Archived