C4 Forums | Control4

What’s your perfect XBMC streamer?

wappinghigh

Over the years I have had several dedicated XBMC streamers.

I’ve built a pretty near on perfect HTPC running Windows 10 that mines Ethereum when not being used as a HTPC - but as a proper HTPC left in the rack, this needs to be left on so it can be “called” at any time to do its thing. Also Windows is not by a long shot a great OS to “control” with C4. Actually it’s terrible. And it consumes 200w an hr so it’s not great for the environment!

Probably the best XBMC that I’ve built is a gigabyte intel NUC running LibrELEC

It’s still going and supported ....

Two years back I bought a cheap TX5 from China - an Amlogic 706 and put LibrELEC on that but the LibrELEC seems to be going cold on support for Amlogic and the bloke who sold me the box on eBay seems to have gone out of business and was shut down LOL there is a surprise! And with the Huewai scandal and all who knows who has been peering in that thing?!! Anyway he’s probably phoenixed himself on eBay again but where the heck is he?!

As a side note I note LibrELEC 10 won’t be supported on the Nividia shield.

Which brings me to the shield. It probably has the biggest support as an XBMC streamer around here. Buts it’s droid. I know you can boot it from a stick in Linux but see the paragraph above....

Basically I still think A Linux based box is the best option. LibrELEC or something like it. It loads super fast is stable and highly effecient. So the awesome Alan Chow driver works perfectly on this....

The down side though is upgrade support. As the example shows re the dropping of Amlogic it’s non existent.

Seems more and more streamers are running droid these days and less versions of Linux .... is that everyone’s impression?

Why is that?

The quest continues for the perfect XBMC...

Of course many folks probably think why bother? Obviously dedicated steaming boxes like Fire stick and AppleTv and the cable boxes etc etc are better supported, but they are locked down. And worse one needs multiple boxes to get all available content. That’s because of the likes of Newscorp and Hollywood of course.

And I get why Control4 won’t build and support or release one of their own. There’s no money in Control4 having their own media steamer. I get that. And no incentive for them to do it either. At the end of the day it’s C4’s interest to have as many different sources on the market as possible. Cause that’s the main thing I still use C4 for. Control of sources!!!!

So now I’ve moved to 4K I think I’ll upgrade to another Intel NUC - like I’ve said before you need HDCP2.2 for these things to play perfect and this is one of the few that has HDCP2.2

So what’s everyone’s perfect XBMC streamer ?

W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You still have C4?

Sure I do -> just pretty much controlling TV’s and video sources in 2 zones now. With SR250’s. And control over the alarm. With the odd Push notification - thats still one heck of a driver! No further spend. Scaled down. I’ll end of line it and replace it when it suits *me* the customer - on my own terms thanks. If/When a suitable alternative platform takes over that universal remote role. That is of course unless C4 change their attitude. To R&D. Driver distribution. Firmware upgrades. New product releases. Improvement of the trade up and secondary market situation. Availability of timely information. They stop EOL controllers when it suits them (rather than the end customer) - That sort of thing. In other words start really listening to end users like me. However. as folks keep pointing out around here, that seems very unlikely. Rock on C4.....W.   Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk    

3 hours ago, msgreenf said:

'merica

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Sure aint that the truth!

Ya'll control content via Hollywood, then you set up Ultraviolet, then you ensure that's the only option for law abiding citizens outside 'merica to get their digital content (well their paid for files off a blu ray anyway) , then you set up movies anywhere, then you shut down UV....right across the world!!!.., then you forget about the situation in the rest of the world... (and that there is no Movies anywhere outside 'merica?!)

Wait.... maybe there is a rest of the world outside 'merica??? 

No you don't say.....  really?

And you wonder why XBMC still exists.....

And makeMKV

And why crazy folks like yours truly come on here and waste your time telling you how bad Hollywood really is on all this..., and why DRM sucks and why C4 users have been forgotten outside 'merica.... and that it really is different over here..!.

And you wonder why folks like Kim Dotcom emerge and then he objects when he tries get abducted by the Hollywood  backed CIA..?.

But that's another story!

(Google will be your friend on this..) :)

But hey it's all Julian Assange's and the Russians fault....

Just ask MSNBC... !!!

W

If you want the the most flexibility and real HDR playback:

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G.
16GB Ram (8 wouds also do)
Win 10 Pro
SSD

Why? Here you go:
- Enough compute and graphics power to do 4K as HW and software deocde as H265.

- power usage about 20 to 30w typical wven with plex or emby server running inside kodi - so no 200w sucker

- can be whisper quite with the right fan even in almost NUC size (itx board)

- Windiws 10 works just fine as OS for HTPC if setup correctly- takes like 30 minutes. Setting up linux takes more time as u need more knowledge and CLI

- via a custom playerconfig for kodi and an IR driver for Control4 you can playback real HDR movies from your BluRay 4k sources via MP HC or BE on yout TV ,- just like popping in the BD in your player

Haven't seen any that versatile setup anywhere, a NV shiled might be similar but u miss out on flexibility

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

if you don't believe that Russia has meddled in the american elections then I'm done talking to you again. 

Oh sure they did..(.who doesn't meddle in who's elections but)?  but the Russians aren't the reason Hillary lost. She did that herself IMO, That's all I'm saying. 

In all seriousness though at least there are a couple of democracies left..

W

1 hour ago, blub said:

If you want the the most flexibility and real HDR playback:

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G.
16GB Ram (8 wouds also do)
Win 10 Pro
SSD

Why? Here you go:
- Enough compute and graphics power to do 4K as HW and software deocde as H265.

- power usage about 20 to 30w typical wven with plex or emby server running inside kodi - so no 200w sucker

- can be whisper quite with the right fan even in almost NUC size (itx board)

- Windiws 10 works just fine as OS for HTPC if setup correctly- takes like 30 minutes. Setting up linux takes more time as u need more knowledge and CLI

- via a custom playerconfig for kodi and an IR driver for Control4 you can playback real HDR movies from your BluRay 4k sources via MP HC or BE on yout TV ,- just like popping in the BD in your player

Haven't seen any that versatile setup anywhere, a NV shiled might be similar but u miss out on flexibility

Sure! Agree.... I do that with my current HTPC which is what you are pretty much describing.

I'm talking abut a stand alone small form factor XBMC.

W

24 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

but the Russians aren't the reason Hillary lost. She did that herself IMO, That's all I'm saying

It's a combination of both - they meddled to help Donald and beat Hill.  She wasn't a perfect candidate so it was easy.

Why not an Nvidia Shield?

It might not be as good as a custom built PC, but it is amazing for its price point. Get an IRUSB and call it a day.

I totally agree.

I prefer LibreELEC that’s all.

Android has Googles thumbprints all over it...

It’ simply a software and philosophical preference.

W.

I totally agree.  I prefer LibreELEC that’s all.

W.

See that’s the trade off... 

LibreELEC is pure Kodi. That’s all the OS does. Just fires up Kodi on the box.

Android is obviously way more supported and therefore updates smoother, not as many breaks with third party apps etc but the flip side of all this is at the end of the day - is it not controlled by a massive conglomerate? I don’t know. I’m just curious about this potential downside of Android.

Its also running my TV’s

I prefer diversity

Cheers

W.

On 2/10/2019 at 2:54 PM, wappinghigh said:

So what’s everyone’s perfect XBMC streamer ?

1 hour ago, wappinghigh said:

I prefer LibreELEC that’s all.

Why did you ask what other people prefer if you are stuck on what you prefer? Trying to understand this thread.

3 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Why did you ask what other people prefer if you are stuck on what you prefer? Trying to understand this thread.

I'm not "stuck on what I prefer" never am... it's one of the reasons I am down sizing C4 right now ...

It's a discussion point...

I could be persuaded to use more droid devices if I could be convinced the whole domination of the world by google thing wasn't actually happening.....

Android was the main reason my network failed and went down last year as a matter of interest.. 

Android running on my Sony TV's...

I was just curious if other folks had concerns about Android running continuously in their homes...

It's one of the issues here clearly in the choice of a Kodi box..

Cheers 

2 minutes ago, Pounce said:

That doesn't sound like a confirmation on the point of the thread. Can you confirm the objective of the thread?

To determine which is the best Kodi box.

In particular which is the better platform to run..

LIbreELEC or Android?

Pros and cons

What's your preference and why? 

Archived