C4 Forums | Control4

SR-260 Update

jamesc4

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, wappinghigh said:

What meaning of the word "critical" do you fail to understand?

What part of READING what's in front of you is hard to do?

What part of copying a definition don't you understand:

having a decisive or crucial importance in the success, failure, or existence of something

Or did you forget to read that part on the same page you copied from too?

Are you telling me people CAN judge what they are 'bringing into their home' - but can't read a short page of information when creating an account for something? Because if they can't do the latter end decide the right action, I would state they can indeed not do the first.

5 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

If these updates are so critical then the default for a new user account should clearly be on.

I would not agree with you on this point.

Back when you were running Windows 98 did you enable Windows Update to automatically update your computer? (this is a trick question to test  your sanity)

Just now, Pounce said:

I would not agree with you on this point.

Back when you were running Windows 98 did you enable Windows Update to automatically update your computer? (this is a trick question to test  your sanity)

I hate that SO much by the way (reason every current computer is running PRO)

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

I defer to control4 to answer but my understanding is yes.

Ok. This horse is beat. Have a good one

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

No it is not!

What homeowner want's their HA...indeed their entire house, security etc etc  system left potentially vulnerable by default

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

What part of READING what's in front of you is hard to do?

What part of copying a definition don't you understand:

Or did you forget to read that part on the same page you copied from too?

Are you telling me people CAN judge what they are 'bringing into their home' - but can't read a short page of information when creating an account for something? Because if they can't do the latter end decide the right action, I would state they can indeed not do the first.

Of course most people - even intelligent people can read but whether or not they chose to set a box setting such as this is an entirely different matter...

They know nothing about the security issues because in this case the company concerned  gives them zero information on the process...

That is not the end users fault..

They are not making an informed choice because putting it simply, they are not informed.

That doesn't make end users stupid. Just none the wiser.

You (as a dealer) might be informed due to the privileges granted to you as a dealer.... 

We are not. Is that our fault? No it is not. The information is simply not always disseminated to us.

Logic then follows that having dealers involved at all in the firmware update process adds it's own additional vulnerability.

Since getting the correct and most critical and most recent software on our platforms involves either waiting for a dealer?

Or being told by the dealer we need to check a permission box?

Both these situations potentially prevent us getting critical software upgraded onto our platforms in timely manner?

Are you kidding me?

IMO!

W

I would at least appreciate some sort of direct communication between Control4 and myself as an end user on security and critical software upgrades.

What to do. What's about to happen. Why? What's happened etc...

I get some information now on my setup via email from the servers re when they are down and maintenance issues etc.. which is very much appreciated

But not on firmware..

In near on 10 years I have had no direct information on patches or firmware.

Instead I have to come on here and ask then I'm made to fell dumb and silly for asking...

Does that make me stupid?

No it does not.

Vulnerable maybe.

But not stupid.

W

1 hour ago, wappinghigh said:

What homeowner want's their HA...indeed their entire house, security etc etc  system left potentially vulnerable by default

You aren't being honest with yourself or others. The irony is that you would argue just as rabidly against a default value of checked if the install executed and impacted your system.

I want control over updates. All of them. It's standard in my work and it's my position at home. It's not a question of whether I want my system vulnerable or not running optimal. I know about updates and I get to chose when to install them. Do I want to install it right away or do I want to install it when I have time to manage potential risks...

Dealers take care of their customers. If their customers don't have auto updates enabled they contact them and ask them if they want service. I'm guessing your dealer has long since fired you and nobody is watching your back. If you do have a dealer and they are supposed to watch your back and you haven't been installing patches....  well, put that on your dealer and then yourself for not paying attention.

We all know you like to argue and complain and think the world is out to get you. Some of us like to troll you at times, but honestly we are all human and some of us are sympathetic and really just want to help you. You seem at times very disturbed by things that for the rest of us are simple life choices. None of us want to see you get some kind of infarction over some widget in your home.

1 minute ago, Pounce said:

I know about updates and I get to chose when to install them. Do I want to install it right away or do I want to install it when I have time to manage potential risks...

Sure.

Difference is we never know about the details of updates....

Walk in my shoes.

Just for once...

Most dealers can't know what it's like because they have "information bias". They get the info.

We don't. 

Everyones a genius (with access to the information) 

W

In almost every firmware process I ever do.. and there are probably over a hundred different devices needing upgrades in my house now

There is at least  a firmware events log.. and info on the current (about to be released) and also past changes...

Available readily to the end user... both before the upgrade and after...

Not with this platform it seems...

You have said you are in software...

Do you find it unreasonable for an end user of software to want details of firmware and patches in a timely and efficient manner? 

Archived