C4 Forums | Control4

Recommended motion sensor for steam room

tcwalker5

Question

I would like to install a motion sensor for our steam room.  By definition the environment will be hot and humid.  I would guess that the nyce motion sensors are not intended for this environment.  Is there a battery powered C4 compatible sensor that could work?

19 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

yeah my water sensors and auto water shut off are all local/hardwired.  the water meters that would require a plumber that would be local (not cloud) would be several factors more expensive.  Given I have auto water shut off and sensors already hard wired, this was a throw away at $200.  if I get a text that it senses a leak behind a wall or something I can shut off water on my phone or c4 will when its eventually hooked up.  even if there is a 5 min delay, its better than not knowing at all.  sure its cloud so it could be down 100% but that's a risk I'll take for the cost savings up front.

Makes sense.

Now if you could combine that non invasive streamlabs product (they have a flow control version coming) and something like this valve control (www.getguardian.com)  you might sell to a lot more DIY types or folks that don't want to deal with a plumber.

1 minute ago, Pounce said:

Cool use of the product.

Looks like their API is cloud rather than on the device.

For something like alarms and water etc I lean toward things that can work onprem without internet. But for 200 having some intelligence for event triggering would be really interesting.

What they need is the ability to subscribe to events or webhooks. Polling isn't fun.

I also lean toward not using a thermostat or water meter that provides occupancy data to 3rd parties. I can't stop my city from having smart meters so ...that may not be sustainable.

yeah my water sensors and auto water shut off are all local/hardwired.  the water meters that would require a plumber that would be local (not cloud) would be several factors more expensive.  Given I have auto water shut off and sensors already hard wired, this was a throw away at $200.  if I get a text that it senses a leak behind a wall or something I can shut off water on my phone or c4 will when its eventually hooked up.  even if there is a 5 min delay, its better than not knowing at all.  sure its cloud so it could be down 100% but that's a risk I'll take for the cost savings up front.

1 hour ago, tcwalker5 said:

Both, so I can’t really do a door sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

another idea if you have some patience to wait: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/knocki-make-any-surface-smart--4#/updates/all

I did the pre order and should be getting mine soon.  I specifically got one for my steam shower.  I am going to use this to change channels/volume of the audio when I am in the steam shower.  as mentioned above I have a small closet on the other side of the steam shower with the generator, so I'll put this on the shared wall so its not noticable in the steam shower.  Works with IFTTT, so with Alan Chow's driver IFTT driver it should be simple to turn a light on/off with a tap on the wall.

Cool use of the product.

Looks like their API is cloud rather than on the device.

For something like alarms and water etc I lean toward things that can work onprem without internet. But for 200 having some intelligence for event triggering would be really interesting.

There is no way to directly query the device to retrieve water consumption data. In order to access the data, you must use the cloud based servers. We do have a public API available that is currently in beta - if you are inerested, please visit the following address: developer.streamlabswater.com. 

What they need is the ability to subscribe to events or webhooks. Polling isn't fun.

I also lean toward not using a thermostat or water meter that provides occupancy data to 3rd parties. I can't stop my city from having smart meters so ...that may not be sustainable.

4 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Sometimes people are in steam rooms without the steam on. I have vague memories of parties in the 80's...

I like that the sensor they offer than is non invasive. Not sure I have seen one of those before. I like that there seems to be a flood of these products flowing onto the market.

I cannot comment on your parties in the 80s :-)

not to hijack but i purchased the streamlabs unit for my house and I use it on the main water line.  But you could use it for a specific water line if you want vs the entire house. At ~$200 its priced cheaper than a configurable keypad (my other suggestion) and not much more than a motion sensor but it also gives you the ability to monitor if there is a leak in the line.  That said, to work in c4 Cinegration (or someone) needs to do the driver, but I did contract Cinegration and they are working on it AND Streamlabs told me their API is open, so I dont see why it shouldn't come to C4 eventually. 

so far it works well, I mean I havent had a leak, but it is dead accurate on water usage.  I have a whole home water filtration system that back washes every 10 days.  the manual says it will use 91 gallons of water during this process, and the streamlabs got it exactly right on its monitoring.  I've tested it by barely leaving a faucet on to drip and it picked it up too.  Just good piece of mind.  I have water sensors near some bigger appliances that could leak but I cannot see a leak behind the walls, in a sprinkler line, etc so this should help with those potential issues.

Sometimes people are in steam rooms without the steam on. I have vague memories of parties in the 80's...

I like that the sensor they offer than is non invasive. Not sure I have seen one of those before. I like that there seems to be a flood of these products flowing onto the market.

36 minutes ago, tcwalker5 said:

Both, so I can’t really do a door sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

along with the idea above about using a configurable keypad dimmer in a better location...something that may be on the horizon:

https://www.streamlabswater.com/

https://www.drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/utility/water-agent/

I have talked to Cinegration and its on their road map to get Streamlabs incorporated.  You can put streamlabs on the pipe going to the steam generator, so if it senses water it would create a state within C4 and you could  program lights off that.  When water is detected, turn on water..when water isnt detected, start a 5 or 10 min timer then turn off lights (allowing the person to dry off or whatever before they exit the area)

so its not there yet but its an option to keep an eye on

I think a sensor on the ceiling (or other strategic place) in the room just before the door would work. Obviously, you would have to chose how to handle the exit. Maybe a timer for a duration longer than a session and just accept that the light will stay on a while after you leave.

1 hour ago, tcwalker5 said:

actually, I'm just trying to turn on the lights.  The switch is in an awkward  position.  The only reason for the extreme temp and humidity is because it would be mounted in the steam room itself.

so if the switch is in a bad location....I am assuming its a c4 switch since you want to automate it.  Is there a c4 switch in a "good" location?  If so, purchase a Configurable Keypad Dimmer and have a button to control the other load, a button to control the steam shower light, etc?

In my bathroom I have a keypad with 5 buttons.  overhead lights, wall lights, shower lights (its a shower/steam shower combo), fan and audio/music button.  That is the only visible switch in the room.  The other switches that control the loads are off in the "steam shower closet" where the steam generator sits.  So its very clean and easy with 1 keypad to control anything in the room and its located by the entry/exit of the room for easy access.

On 2/16/2019 at 12:07 AM, eggzlot said:

what are you trying to gauge?

actually, I'm just trying to turn on the lights.  The switch is in an awkward  position.  The only reason for the extreme temp and humidity is because it would be mounted in the steam room itself.

Archived