C4 Forums | Control4

Digital Coax over Ethernet

janthony6

I have a c4 4 zone amp in my great Room because that’s where my house speakers terminate.  

However i I wanted my EA5 to be in my closet rack.  When I bought my house, my c4 installers didn’t know anything.  

Finally I was able to install my EA5 in my closet rack by using this:

J-Tech Digital Optical & Coaxial Digital Audio Extender/Converter Over Single Cat5e/6 Cable (PoC) up to 990 feet (300 Meter) for Dolby Digital, DTS 5.1, DTS-HD and PCM [JTECH-AET1000] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G5NQCK7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_N0dBCbGJMWVQ9

works great to route my digital audio over Ethernet to my amp.  I actually bought 2 of them and connected both.  

Thought I’d share in case anybody else has similar issues.

Good find.

We use these on most jobs for audio return from TVs back to audio matrix in rack. Transmitter units are powered over CAT from receiver units in rack s no power needed at source end and have a built in DAC at receiver end so can feed digital or analogue into audio kit.

https://www.blustream.co.uk/cat100au

Control4 will specifically tell you ARC is not supported as a way of transporting audio because it can confuse Director's pathing.

I have used it on a couple of jobs where any other method was impossible and it did work, but would I design for it? Absolutely not - too many headaches.

I often use the good ole RG6 coax cable as the return audio channel from TVs, especially for Smart TVs with tons of streaming app. Never have problems, even on longer run. But yes don't use TV audio out for centralized video sources else it will confuse the audio path and the TVs will turn on randomly.

8 hours ago, jackstone said:

But yes don't use TV audio out for centralized video sources else it will confuse the audio path and the TVs will turn on randomly.

You can get around this using the local source driver so that Director only uses the TV for the room its in. ARC (not supported) is different to using the TV's audio out or headphone jack to supply audio (is supported)

7 hours ago, Unsocialtoaster said:

You can get around this using the local source driver so that Director only uses the TV for the room its in. ARC (not supported) is different to using the TV's audio out or headphone jack to supply audio (is supported)

☝️☝️☝️ This, we do audio return from TVs all the time and use the 'AV Local Source' driver all the time and works great.

On 2/21/2019 at 4:33 AM, Unsocialtoaster said:

Thanks! I didn't knew about this driver and yes, it seems to do what we need to do... will sure give it a try on a particular project where we used the Coax Output of an HDMI Matrix to feed the Audio Matrix, and this also screw up director...

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2019 at 8:15 PM, jackstone said:

I often use the good ole RG6 coax cable as the return audio channel from TVs, especially for Smart TVs with tons of streaming app. Never have problems, even on longer run. But yes don't use TV audio out for centralized video sources else it will confuse the audio path and the TVs will turn on randomly.

You need two RG6 for stereo sound, correct?

Archived