C4 Forums | Control4

NVR Fan Noise

pinkoos

Hi,

I'm still dealing with upgrade-related issues with my system, especially the cameras.

My dealer just swapped out one Zuum NVR that was not behaving properly for another Zuum NVR, but an upgraded version.

While the previous NVR had some fan noise, this new one sounds like a jet engine whenever it's on.  I'm just wondering if this is normal?  Should NVRs be this noisy?  I know you can't hear what I'm talking about but, in general, shouldn't these have some fan noise, but nothing that's so loud that it fills up an entire room and distracts everyone in that room?

Our rack is in a closet and that door can't be closed, otherwise the rack would have no ventilation at all and everything would likely overheat.

Thanks

Cut a vent so you can close the door.

You can change the fan in the unit if you are handy.

You can look at where the fan is vented and remove all the grill from the area by cutting the case or whatever. Most fan noise comes from the obstruction of flow due to screens and louvers etc. If the fan itself is noisy its just  a crappy fan or it's running high etc.

Zuum looks like a sticker brand.

Yes, I agree about the brand - the NVR was being replaced because the first NVR stopped recording on motion detection (on 3 cams) and started recording continuously even though it was set to record only on motion (for the remaining cam).  And, the original NVR kept on defaulting to a substream when accessing the camera feeds directly on the TV

Just now, Pounce said:

Maybe a different brand is in your future.

From what my dealer told me my controllers and touchscreens (controllers - HC800 and HC300, touchscreens - the version right before the Android conversion) won't work with many camera systems out there.  He wanted to use LTS, but said they are incompatible.  He spoke with C4 and they told him Pakedge, but those are very costly.

I know you went round and round to get a dealer. I think you should ask them to fix the noise issue and also make modifications to this closet so you can close the door. I'm sort of puzzled why they would install in a closed space with no heat management in Texas.

2 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

And this dealer has been great.  Best dealer I've had in my 10 years of Control4 ownership.

The hiccups are not the dealer's fault and they've gone above and beyond in terms of troubleshooting issues, coming up with fixes, etc.

Who recommended the Zuum brand?

Archived