C4 Forums | Control4

Variables

shaneoneill

I would like to see the ability to use variables in messages. For example, my system is currently setup to email me when the outdoor temp gauge reaches 90+ and then 100+. I'd like to be able to instead say "The outdoor temp is %temp" instead of The outdoor temp is 90+. And other scenarios of course, but id like to be able to see the actual value of variables sent to me if i want

Yes, but what would be the trigger for the email? If you are already defining the trigger @ 90 and 100 what else would you need? So, I gather what you want is to invoke an email which would return the current local temp. Isn't that what weather services are all about? In the end, what should be available is a trigger and a realtime value associated with the trigger? Would they not be the same?

At any rate, I'm not C4 and have no impact on what gets put into the queue there. So, Ryan, you take it away...

Yes, but what would be the trigger for the email? If you are already defining the trigger @ 90 and 100 what else would you need? So, I gather what you want is to invoke an email which would return the current local temp. Isn't that what weather services are all about? In the end, what should be available is a trigger and a realtime value associated with the trigger? Would they not be the same?

At any rate, I'm not C4 and have no impact on what gets put into the queue there. So, Ryan, you take it away...

The trigger would be the same thing that is currently used (i.e.a change inthe temp). All you need to do is add a bunch of IF statements to the temp change to determine the temp and send the correct email template.

I think everyone agrees that having variables available in the email would be the best solution.

Archived