C4 Forums | Control4

c4forums.com Suggestions, Updates, & Requests

Taylor

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
but having to keep back out of a message to re-click it is a pain (see http://mdaoe.com/smf/index.php for an example of what I'm saying).

I'm not sure i'm following. You want us to keep the "show all posts since last logon" on top - this I believe I understand. I'm not sure how you would like us to resolve the issue you're experiencing. Maybe detailing the trouble your facing further would help me understand? Please explain further. Thanks very much.

This way when navigating through the messages you can easily click on what's left unread still. I like to come into a forum and read what's been posted since I was last there. Right now - I have to click unread, read the first message, click the index, click unread again - it's two more key clicks then I'd prefer. I'd rather it be, while I'm reading a message - I can click the UNREAD link at the top and go back to a list of what's still left to read (again - go to the URL I gave above and see for yourself).

Also - I'd like to suggest increasing the TIMEOUT variable. Being a dealer - I'm getting interrupted quite a bit... as today was no exception, I was idle here on this board for about 10 minutes (give or take 5) and came back and the board said I have no new unread messages (saying my last logon was 20 minutes ago). PLEASE increase this to something like an hour. It's not going to hurt anything (trust me - I used to own ISP and an ASP companies).

Also - I'd like to suggest increasing the TIMEOUT variable. Being a dealer - I'm getting interrupted quite a bit... as today was no exception, I was idle here on this board for about 10 minutes (give or take 5) and came back and the board said I have no new unread messages (saying my last logon was 20 minutes ago). PLEASE increase this to something like an hour. It's not going to hurt anything (trust me - I used to own ISP and an ASP companies).

This is done. We've updated it to an hour timeout. Good?

This way when navigating through the messages you can easily click on what's left unread still. I like to come into a forum and read what's been posted since I was last there. Right now - I have to click unread, read the first message, click the index, click unread again - it's two more key clicks then I'd prefer. I'd rather it be, while I'm reading a message - I can click the UNREAD link at the top and go back to a list of what's still left to read (again - go to the URL I gave above and see for yourself).

I finally think I understand...

Dan we need "Show new posts since last visit" to be visible in the top section of viewtopic.php.

Cytex,

...regarding resolved issue with posts...

Let's think big picture. The more knowledge we acquire the better management we'll need. I think a "knowledge base" would be a good idea. We can create "issues" and "resolutions". As more information comes in we can update the resolutions. In the forums we can refer to those issue numbers, etc.

Also, let's start a documentation section on the site. We can begin to build documentation of the system that C4 has yet to provide. I would be more than happy to get started with a few of those docs.

Let's think big picture. The more knowledge we acquire the better management we'll need. I think a "knowledge base" would be a good idea. We can create "issues" and "resolutions". As more information comes in we can update the resolutions. In the forums we can refer to those issue numbers, etc.

I like this idea as well, chambrick. I'll see which KB works best for this problem.

How about a FAQ/Walkthrough area? I was about to start creating some visual guids to do simple tasks (at least they are simple with the walkthrough) so that dealers can easily see how to do things.

Example: The press and hold button presses.

This is excelent to know how to do, but just typing how to do it still requires time spent on by the dealer to figure out HOW and WHERE to do it.

I know we are starting to get a lot of topics here, and different forums, so maybe a stickie would work. I think a good thread/stickie/topic/newforum would be a DO'S and DO NOT'S area. Where dealers/installers can post things to absolutely not do, and things that made their lives much easier.

Again, this may be a little overboard, but it's out there for you guys.

How about:

Control4 Best Practices

> Do's

> Do nots

The other direction I am leaning in, is the Wiki or Knowledge Base (kb) that offers this type of guidance. I do think that this type of forum would defintitely offer some clarity. Taylor do you have some items you'd like to add in there? I can you a moderator for that forum as well, if you like.

Dan we need "Show new posts since last visit" to be visible in the top section of viewtopic.php.

Any update on this? It would help navigate these forums a GREAT deal better... (right now - I'm catching up on a weeks worth of new posts - and after reading each new post it's a pain to click INDEX, then new ports since last logon etc...). Thanks,

Shawn

Archived