C4 Forums | Control4

Just Add Power HDMI over IP - techncial discussion

Nded

The Home theatre receiver could be installed in the rack and too far from its video end point. So HDMI may not be a solution

If the home theater reciever is on the rack, running speaker wire to the speaker locations, and a good HDMI balun from the home theater reciever to the TV, that shouldn't be a problem unless its well over 100 feet. Or you could just put the home theater reciever in the TV room, and run the HDMI over IP to the home theater receiver in the room, which then connects to the TV via HDMI and to speakers directly.

You may want to start a separate thread in the "best practices" forum and give some information about your floorplan, and others can give you specific advice about your situation.

Thanks for this also got your email.

Would it also be possible to buy an extra receiver that can plug straight into the 5.1. amp. So basically one receiver takes the video and the second the audio ?

That does not work reliably' date=' as not all Receivers are able to return the HDCP handshake needed to activate the signal broadcast.[/quote']

This comment was directly aimed at the 2nd JAP Reciever idea - this won't work unless your receiver can give an HDCP key handshake to the JAP receiver. A second receiver will not put out the HDMI signal unless it detects a valid/keyed device.

this won't work unless your receiver can give an HDCP key handshake to the JAP receiver. A second receiver will not put out the HDMI signal unless it detects a valid/keyed device.

Is that something that the HDMI license requires you to do, or is it a some other technical requirement? Just curious.

this won't work unless your receiver can give an HDCP key handshake to the JAP receiver. A second receiver will not put out the HDMI signal unless it detects a valid/keyed device.

Is that something that the HDMI license requires you to do' date=' or is it a some other technical requirement? Just curious.[/quote']

HDMI licensing/restrictions ala Hollywood. You can't decrypt the HDMI content unless a valid/keyed device is terminating the signal.

Interesting...it's almost like a "chain of custody" in the legal/law enforcement world.

Everyone who touches the signal needs to have the right credentials or else the prior guy can't hand it off.

And if you do, you must lose your credentials.

That's about right. And more specifically, it's the HDCP in HDMI's spec.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection

As we promised at CEDIA, we have developed the Rackmount Transmitter for HDMI over IP. This new model is 1 RU (19" of course) and has 3 HDMI Inputs and 3 Ethernet Outputs. Here's a picture of the new model:

Rackmount-TX-1.jpg

We will have this newest member of the HDMI over IP family available for examination at CES in the Blackwire Designs Control4 booth. I'll hit Kevin Luther up for the booth number.

Ed - I actually haven't been back through the entire thread but has there been any discussion around a POE version of the JAP receiver ?

First a little history:

3Q 2009 - HDMI over IP "launched" at CEDIA 2009

4Q 2009 - Rackmount Transmitter added to the HDMI over IP family

Seems to me it would be a good idea to keep trying to add another new HDMI over IP product each quarter. PoE for 1Q 2010 sounds like a winner to me! Please stay tuned to this channel.

So a cisco catalyst 2960 driver is available.

Now for my dumb question....

I have an 8 port 2960 series switch. I believe the model number is 2960-8TC. Is this compatible with JAP and the new driver for C4? I do believe the 2960 series is basically the same but wanted to ask. If it will work, I'll be placing an order with you this week. :-)

So a cisco catalyst 2960 driver is available.

Now for my dumb question....

I have an 8 port 2960 series switch. I believe the model number is 2960-8TC. Is this compatible with JAP and the new driver for C4? I do believe the 2960 series is basically the same but wanted to ask. If it will work, I'll be placing an order with you this week. :-)

According to the Cisco webstite your 8TC is running the same firmware as my 24TT - I think it should work great with the example C4 driver for HDMI over IP.

Ed - I actually haven't been back through the entire thread but has there been any discussion around a POE version of the JAP receiver ?

First a little history:

3Q 2009 - HDMI over IP "launched" at CEDIA 2009

4Q 2009 - Rackmount Transmitter added to the HDMI over IP family

Seems to me it would be a good idea to keep trying to add another new HDMI over IP product each quarter. PoE for 1Q 2010 sounds like a winner to me! Please stay tuned to this channel.

Thanks Ed .... a POE receiver and modular cards (blades) to slide in that rack mount would make this a pretty finished line with near infinite expandability and low cost of entry.

Best, Dave

As we promised at CEDIA, we have developed the Rackmount Transmitter for HDMI over IP. This new model is 1 RU (19" of course) and has 3 HDMI Inputs and 3 Ethernet Outputs. Here's a picture of the new model:

http://www.justaddpower.com/images/stories/products/Rackmount-TX-1.jpg

We will have this newest member of the HDMI over IP family available for examination at CES in the Blackwire Designs Control4 booth. I'll hit Kevin Luther up for the booth number.

Ed, this is just what the Dr. ordered! And POE on the docket to boot! Its great that your company is quick on its feet and responsive to customer input. It says "call for pricing", can you give us a hint on what the price will be? I'm hoping that the price will be less than the price of three separate transmitters.

My only request is that you make the devices firmware field upgradeable so when the codec improves it is an easy fix. Once that's done I will be willing to buy without hesitation. Right now I am unwilling to make an investment on a large scale in a new generation product that doesn't allow for firmware updates easily.

http://www.justaddpower.com/images/stories/products/Rackmount-TX-1.jpg

Ed,

I like the rackmount, but the ports are in the front :) I'll have to mount them backwards.

As we promised at CEDIA' date=' we have developed the Rackmount Transmitter for HDMI over IP. This new model is 1 RU (19" of course) and has 3 HDMI Inputs and 3 Ethernet Outputs. Here's a picture of the new model:

[url']http://www.justaddpower.com/images/stories/products/Rackmount-TX-1.jpg

Ed,

I like the rackmount, but the ports are in the front :) I'll have to mount them backwards.

Power connector looks to be in the back.

I'm not sure but is all of this an alternative solution to a video matrix switch or along the same lines. I have looking in to something like a 10X10 but it is looking like a $5-7K investment. This look like an idea that I could go into. I haven't taken to time yet to read all 94 posts as I have just run across this one. Been kind of busy. I any wone has a solution to finsh off my ssystem id like some help. Thanks a bunch

I'm not sure but is all of this an alternative solution to a video matrix switch or along the same lines. I have looking in to something like a 10X10 but it is looking like a $5-7K investment. This look like an idea that I could go into. I haven't taken to time yet to read all 94 posts as I have just run across this one. Been kind of busy. I any wone has a solution to finsh off my ssystem id like some help. Thanks a bunch

It is a video matrix. You need a transmitter for each source, a receiver for each display, a compatible network switch with enough ports for everything, and the driver. The network switch is the "matrix".

The consensus of the Home Automation crowd seems to be "mount it on the back side of the rack". The Digital Signage/IT group all want to mount it on the front of the rack. The case is relatively shallow (about 8" deep), so it can easily be mounted opposite stuff on the front side of the rack.

Do you really have 10 inputs and 10 screens, or were you shopping with the mindset of a legacy matrix solution? With HDMI over IP you only purchase the correct number of inputs (i.e. Transmitters) and outputs (i.e. Receivers).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.