C4 Forums | Control4

Navigator web interface

MarkD

The number one thing I would LOVE for my home is to have Navigator accessible from all the computers in my house. I have laptops or desktops in the study, kitchen, kids rooms, loft, and from wherever I plop down my laptop. It seems really petty, but it sucks that I HAVE to pick music from a remote, the one touch screen I have, or a tv. I cannot afford to drop the touch screens all over the place, I don't want to turn on a television just to pick music and turn the television off again (let alone needing some sort of HC on each tv), and I don't want to "decorate" the walls with various older style devices. Such a high-tech and wonderful system as Control4 deserves this extra level of convenience!

I realize there may be some concern about losing 4Sight / Web Navigator revenue. I realize there may be concern about security. However, I believe a local Navigator site could be limited to responding on the local network only? If it needs to be setup/enabled by an authorized installer, then surely the installer could ensure that the local network setup is secured? I just don't believe this would be too hard.

I know I'm still going to want the "cool" factor of on-screen (tv) Navigators and my touch-screen. I just want a nice balance of C4 hardware (=$) and convenience! In fact, I went with C4 because I believed it would be the MOST convenient and flexible solution without going down the scary open source road...

Mark

P.S. I also want more control in Composer HE... like setting up Timer agents and linking keypad buttons to dimmers. I think the limitations of HE are just a LITTLE too... limiting.

I've been able to do everything I need with Composer HE, can you be more specific about what you're trying to accomplish?

RE: Web Interface

If you are capable of programming, I can share details on how to communicate with C4.

I absolutely agree! Laptop / desktop access was the first thought on my mind when I saw the navigator. I've seen other vendors that are taking the same philosophy and hosting the control through a web based service (Ecobee for example). Personally I think it is an insult to make you pay for access to something that's on your own network especially given the amount of $$ you need to put together a decent system. What's next? Pay-for-access routers?

The number one thing I would LOVE for my home is to have Navigator accessible from all the computers in my house. I have laptops or desktops in the study, kitchen, kids rooms, loft, and from wherever I plop down my laptop. It seems really petty, but it sucks that I HAVE to pick music from a remote, the one touch screen I have, or a tv. I cannot afford to drop the touch screens all over the place, I don't want to turn on a television just to pick music and turn the television off again (let alone needing some sort of HC on each tv), and I don't want to "decorate" the walls with various older style devices. Such a high-tech and wonderful system as Control4 deserves this extra level of convenience!

Spot on.:) Preaching to the converted. :lol: C4: IS ANYBODY LISTENING? :/

I've been able to do everything I need with Composer HE, can you be more specific about what you're trying to accomplish?

RE: Web Interface

If you are capable of programming, I can share details on how to communicate with C4.

I have Composer HE -- no problems there. What I want is to see Navigator in my browser... and for my non-techie wife and kids to have access to Navigator in a browser so that they can pick playlists and watch the camera that's pointed at the pool, etc.

@wappinghigh: For starters, if you can share your project file we can analyze it to be sure we can support various devices and configurations.

MarkD: I'm at Queen/DVP if you're ever interested in meeting over coffee/drinks. Work at Yonge/Bloor.

@wappinghigh: For starters, if you can share your project file we can analyze it to be sure we can support various devices and configurations.

MarkD: I'm at Queen/DVP if you're ever interested in meeting over coffee/drinks. Work at Yonge/Bloor.

I'm going away for a few weeks..will get it too you when I can after that....

• 1 month later...

Bog, I can get you the file in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime...I'm a little sick of waiting for either a web browser, or navigator solution for the mac...so I am going to stir things up a bit :rolleyes: and post a reply I got from C4 prior to purchasing the platform, to that very question of a computer navigator...:cool:

Note the date was almost 12 months ago...

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:08 PM

To: busdev

Subject: control4-Apple Leopard

Hi Control4

I'm looking at purchasing your product. What has drawn me to it is

the rumoured iphone app.

The other thing is I believe your control server runs on Linux (I hate

windows). I'm used to running digital media servers on Linux.

Since you're rumored to be writing an iphone app, wouldn't it be a

simple step to actually release some software that could run on a MAC

to program and run control4? I have 3 MACs networked around my house

and it would be great to have a dashboard control4 widget or control4

software that run under leopard.

Regards

Lex

I have the original reply, but I chose to leave out the name of the individual concerned ( I mean well and have absolutely no intention of harming anyone at this great dynamic company ;) ) It is my understanding he/she works for the company....

...anyway for the good of trying to be positive and opening up the platform and making it better, here was the reply...

"I don't know if anyone has answered you, but we are investigating what

we call a Mac mini Hijack kit which is our software and a USB box with

IR, Relays, Serial ports, and a ZigBee radio. This would essentially

turn any Mac into a controller. Unfortunately this is just under

investigation. We will have software by end of Q2 2009 that will allow

any of your Macs to run UI software, using one of our standard

controllers. "

They get a big tick re the iphone app...;)

But what happened to the rest of the "promise" :/

I consider myself pretty 'in touch' with where the company is going, and I've never heard of that being a direction the company is / was headed in.

The iPhone application was developed by a partner of ours, ControlUI, not by Control4.

What you got was by no means 'a promise', it was a 'we *might* do thing XXXX someday, but we also might not'.

Until something is officially announced by Control4, and then *released* by Control4, it's not a real product, and you shouldn't believe any rumor-mongering or posturing, even by someone within (or even high up in) the company.

Control4 *might* someday do something that would let you control your Control4 system from a PC / Mac.

RyanE

What you got was by no means 'a promise', it was a 'we *might* do thing XXXX someday, but we also might not'.

RyanE

Um...with all due respect:

"We will have software by end of Q2 2009 that will allow

controllers. "

Sounds pretty much like a definite statement to me...what about the statement has "might" in it? :|

What you got was by no means 'a promise'' date=' it was a 'we *might* do thing XXXX someday, but we also might not'.

RyanE[/quote']

Um...with all due respect:

"We will have software by end of Q2 2009 that will allow

controllers. "

Sounds pretty much like a definite statement to me...what about the statement has "might" in it? :|

Can't argue with your "read" but let's give Ryan some benefit of the doubt. None of us (I hope) are an attorney, and we shouldn't act like it either. Ryan isn't here in an official capacity. Reading C4 "tea leaves" can drive ya nuts! Just take it as it comes! Peace!

Rob

...what about the statement has "might" in it? :|

The part where it's not in an official Control4 Press Release, has not been shown at a show with an expected ship date, or any other official Control4 communication.

RyanE

OK Guy's - sure. As I said in my original post, I mean no harm here. And I'm NOT a lawyer..they ruin everything :cool:.

But it WAS an email response from someone within C4, to a direct question about a mac based C4 GUI. It was not on a blog, or forum, or from a reviewer or "found" on the web....

Take it or leave it Guys. But let's be positive. In any case, why is everyone so sensitive on this.... is anyone here really suggesting a MAC or PC or web controller would be a BAD thing for customers? :D

OK Guy's - sure. As I said in my original post, I mean no harm here. And I'm NOT a lawyer..they ruin everything :cool:.

But it WAS an email response from someone within C4, to a direct question about a mac based C4 GUI. It was not on a blog, or forum, or from a reviewer or "found" on the web....

Take it or leave it Guys. But let's be positive. In any case, why is everyone so sensitive on this.... is anyone here really suggesting a MAC or PC or web controller would be a BAD thing for customers? :D

Well, no, but I think you left out something about Sonos in this post :P

OK Guy's - sure. As I said in my original post' date=' I mean no harm here. And I'm NOT a lawyer..they ruin everything :cool:.

Take it or leave it Guys. But let's be positive. In any case, why is everyone so sensitive on this.... is anyone here really suggesting a MAC or PC or web controller would be a BAD thing for customers? :D[/quote']

LOL

OK Guy's - sure. As I said in my original post' date=' I mean no harm here. And I'm NOT a lawyer..they ruin everything :cool:.

Take it or leave it Guys. But let's be positive. In any case, why is everyone so sensitive on this.... is anyone here really suggesting a MAC or PC or web controller would be a BAD thing for customers? :D[/quote']

here you go:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/20/sonos-s5-ears-on-review-the-premium-ipod-speaker-dock-without-t/

It's buggy as all hell. The thing is a total piece of crap, the people I know that have it (including myself) don't even use it because it is a complete pile.

That being said, I am sure Control4 could make it great if they wanted to. The current product seems more a proof of concept than anything, it is really that bad.

Now, can't this thread just die!!!

The truth is that PC Navigator already exists. It existed 4 years ago when I went to training in Utah. Why can't they release it???

They will release it when they want to. Who killed the electric car? Was there a second shooter on the grassy knoll? What really happened at Roswell? All great mysteries in life.

Control4 has not released it because they have decided not to.

Dealers and end users have asked for it in the past, Control4 has decided not to spend the development effort to finish it well enough to release it.

No more, no less.

RyanE

Archived