C4 Forums | Control4

Navigator web interface

MarkD

But development effort was spent, on the part of a third party, to develop an interface for the iPhone. In other words the reason that this does not exist is a business reason as it would cannibalize demand for C4's own touchscreens. In fact I would hazard to bet that a good PC navigator interface would pretty much totally negate the need for C4 to make their own touchscreens - just sell customers a tablet PC running this application and you are set. Charge $300 for the app (isn't that what the iPhone app costs) and the all-in cost is still probably a lot less than a 10.5" touchscreen and you would even get a larger screen.

• 3 weeks later...

But development effort was spent, on the part of a third party, to develop an interface for the iPhone. In other words the reason that this does not exist is a business reason as it would cannibalize demand for C4's own touchscreens. In fact I would hazard to bet that a good PC navigator interface would pretty much totally negate the need for C4 to make their own touchscreens - just sell customers a tablet PC running this application and you are set. Charge $300 for the app (isn't that what the iPhone app costs) and the all-in cost is still probably a lot less than a 10.5" touchscreen and you would even get a larger screen.

You got it!!!

see: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/28126/five-great-touchscreen-windows-7-pcs

Cannibalize the sale of ONE touchscreen in the house maybe...but ALL touchscreens? ... I'm not so sure. You can NEVER have enough touchscreens. Look I totally agree... this is the future. And the home automation companies and that goes for ALL of them (including Crestron and AMX) etc can bury their heads in the sand as long as they like, and pretend that all this PC and Apple touchscreen stuff is going to go away and that they wont need to embrace it to win the battle of the living room...but at the end of the day they are fighting some formidable foes (Microsoft/Apple/HP/Sony/Chinese clones). They will HAVE to change and embrace these guys...IMHO That's of course unless they go into the 24 " multimedia touchscreen market themselves....now there's a wishfull thought!! :):):)

C4 needs to play to it's strength's: IR, serial, IP control/fantastic robust software/multiroom distribution control/lighting HVAC etc and forget about trying to lock people into proprietry touchscreens...this will only cause customer resentment in the long run.

Is any one of us on this forum seriously going to deny that they don't want to go out and buy one of these new devices and give it a whirl! We're all tech nerds! Heck that's why we love this C4 stuff! But if past experience is any guide, my wife would take one look at one of these new multimedia PC's and go ..."hey that's great dear....now how does it integrate with that new universal remote system you got...you know that one that cost us 10K...what's it called again" (She still doesn't know)! ....

..and I'm going to look pretty sheepish and silly when I say... "well actually you can't darling...not properly anyway!!"

..see my point..this breeds customer dissatisfaction....and this is BAD for future C4 sales...far more than the loss of one or 2 touchscreen sales...

But development effort was spent' date=' on the part of a third party, to develop an interface for the iPhone. In other words the reason that this does not exist is a business reason as it would cannibalize demand for C4's own touchscreens. In fact I would hazard to bet that a good PC navigator interface would pretty much totally negate the need for C4 to make their own touchscreens - just sell customers a tablet PC running this application and you are set. Charge $300 for the app (isn't that what the iPhone app costs) and the all-in cost is still probably a lot less than a 10.5" touchscreen and you would even get a larger screen.[/quote']

You got it!!!

see: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/28126/five-great-touchscreen-windows-7-pcs

Cannibalize the sale of ONE touchscreen in the house maybe...but ALL touchscreens? ... I'm not so sure. You can NEVER have enough touchscreens. Look I totally agree... this is the future. And the "control" companies and that goes for ALL of them (including Crestron and AMX) etc can bury their heads in the sand as long as they like, and pretend that all this PC and Apple touchscreen stuff is going to go away and that they wont need to embrace it to win the battle of the living room...but at the end of the day they are fighting some formidable foes (Microsoft/Apple/HP/Sony/Chinese clones). They will HAVE to change and embrace these guys...IMHO That's of course unless they go into the 24 " multimedia touchsreen market themselves....now there's a wishfull thought!! :):):)

C4 needs to play to it's strength's: IR, serial, IP control/fantastic robust software/multiroom distribution control/lighting HVAC etc and forget about trying to lock people into proprietry touchscreens...this will only cause customer resentment in the long run.

Is any one of us on this forum seriously going to deny that they don't want to go out and buy one of these new devices and give it a whirl! We're all tech nerds! Heck that's why we love this C4 stuff! But if past experience is any guide, my wife would take one look at one of these new multimedia PC's and go ..."hey that's great dear....now how does it integrate with that new universal remote system you got...you know that one that cost us 10K...what's it called again" (She still doesn't know)! ....

..and I'm going to look pretty sheepish and silly when I say... "well actually you can't darling...not properly anyway!!"

..see my point..this breeds customer dissatisfaction....and this is BAD for future C4 sales...far more than the loss of one or 2 touchscreen sales...

You forgot the "</soapbox>" part at the end =)

Sure. Appols again :rolleyes: I did promise to "shut it"...

I'll delete the post if you like.

It just the absence of a web or software navigator and a 2 way windows or OSX driver for respective media control is so darn ridiculous. ANY of these home auto companies could do this if they REALLY wanted to....

Sure. Appols again :rolleyes: I did promise to "shut it"...

I'll delete the post if you like.

It just the absence of a web or software navigator and a 2 way windows or OSX driver for respective media control is so darn ridiculous. ANY of these home auto companies could do this is they REALLY wanted to....

I was just giving you a hard time.

It just the absence of a web or software navigator and a 2 way windows or OSX driver for respective media control is so darn ridiculous. ANY of these home auto companies could do this is they REALLY wanted to....

Yes, for a percentage of Control4 customers, it would be very nice to have what you're asking for. For a different percentage of customers, a dedicated automation touchscreen is just what they need, and having it be a full function computer / pad is just more support headaches for the dealer.

Your opinion remains your opinion, and you obviously have a right to express it. Whether you consider it 'ridiculous' or not, Control4 will continue to run the company *they started*, and release the products they see fit to grow the market.

Someday, *maybe* Control4 will release software to do Navigator on a tablet, but that's *their* choice, and I personally agree with Control4's decisions on the matter.

RyanE

I think there is a very real need for dedicated touch screens. My wife would hate to go to a PC or even a tablet to access and control the system. When you need to do something like shut off all of the downstairs lights on your way to bed, or turn on all the outside lights to find the dog at 1:30 in the morning, having the dedicated is just nice. You know if you used a tablet or a web based navigator it would be an additional step to start it or switch to it in order to use it. Not a big thing for some of us, but a pain for others. Dedicated just means it is always there waiting to do just what it is designed to do. Control the C4 system.

Don't get me wrong. I would love a PC/Web based navigator. I just purchased a sling box HD after reading about the integration. It sure seems like it will get me a lot closer to that anywhere navigator than I am today.

Don't get me wrong. I would love a PC/Web based navigator. I just purchased a sling box HD after reading about the integration. It sure seems like it will get me a lot closer to that anywhere navigator than I am today.

Glad to see you reading the blog :)

Glad to see you reading the blog :)

I have used it a great deal. I now have a sleep timer an sr250 in my son's room, and I have programmed the remote finder on a six-button in the upstairs living room. We just need you guys to keep putting up cool things faster.

I think there is a very real need for dedicated touch screens.

..I never said there wasn't. There is a need for BOTH. Dedicated touchscreens AND "all in ones" ie running C4 Navigator and Windows Media centre, Frontrow, XBMC or whatever.

If C4 released there own "all in one" touchscreen media player PC I'd be the first to buy it :D

Now I really DO promise to leave you all in peace till 2.0 is released :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have used it a great deal. I now have a sleep timer an sr250 in my son's room, and I have programmed the remote finder on a six-button in the upstairs living room. We just need you guys to keep putting up cool things faster.

I'm glad it is working out for you...I have a couple of fun ones planned, I just need to find the time to write them up!

^Quit day job and become a dealer :)

I tried...the two issues are A) becoming a dealer (my area is heavy with dealers) and B) I've got a great job. I have a lot that I would be walking away from.

Believe me, I have thought long and hard about this. I enjoy my job, but I have to think I would enjoy being a C4 dealer better....most days.

Becoming a dealer is not really a possibility unless you already own a related business these days.

(i.e. you're already a big security or automation installer)

RyanE

I own a *related* business, but it certainly isn't my bread and butter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
If you are capable of programming' date=' I can share details on how to communicate with C4.[/quote']

I am interested to know how to communicate with C4. Could you share details on this? i have know basic programming(python, java), and would like to take a crack at it. Thanks.

There is some good info here to get you started:

http://code.google.com/p/c4touch/wiki/DirectorProtocol

I hope your XML parsing skills are sharp. Have fun!

Archived