C4 Forums | Control4

Customizable "virtual" keypad gadget to run on desktop/sidebar

akg4y

This may be part of 2.0, but I havent really read/heard anything of the sort.... I think it would be nice to have a virtual keyboard and/or remote that can be its own process/window/gadget running on a desktop or laptop. That way if Im working on my laptop or desktop and I want to change channels or change video sources I can have quick access to it.

I realize I can basically do that using Composer HE but this would make it faster and more refined.

One thing I am envisioning is like for example a window on the desktop with a dropdown menu. In the menu you could select either virtual keypad (with custom keys independent of anything in the house) or you could select a certain keypad or remote in the house and it would change to mimic that keypad.

At this point the best option is a slingbox and the Cytex One driver.

There is an unreleased WinNavigator (circle of power for your desktop), but there is a reason it is unreleased. The thing crashes like crazy, looks bad, etc... You may be able to find it on the net if you know where to look, but I would advise against it. The thing is more trouble than it is worth. It is a really cool concept though. Hopefully this will come full force with 2.0.

I dont think of it as a necessity, but it would definitely be very helpful. Right now if I want to control things from the computer I have to open HE and double click on the device I want to control to open a virtual version of it. Seems like the jump to just having that popup window be able to be its own process wouldnt be that big.

haven't decided yet. might do it in java so that its cross platform but honestly i haven't done any gui code in anything but windows.

to be honest its ultra low priority and at the rate i'm going with time it will not eventuate until early next year or later.

Couldn't sleep so figured i'd whip something up. Heres a sneak peak.

Note that this is not a Control4 piece of software nor is it a Convergent Technologies piece of software. It is just something i am doing myself.

• 2 months later...

I'm still working on mine part time but making progress. I've got automatic discovery (without IP address) and lighting controls working. I decided to list all lights in one place, instead of by location, it makes more sense.

how much do you guys want a virtual keypad? i might write a virtual 6 button keypad client/server app but i'm not gonna promise everything.

Are you still working on this? Are you planning on making a driver for the controller?

• 2 weeks later...
how much do you guys want a virtual keypad? i might write a virtual 6 button keypad client/server app but i'm not gonna promise everything.

Are you still working on this? Are you planning on making a driver for the controller?

Yeh, Alan...any further on this?...maybee one for the "App store"...or is C4 going to "control" (like Apple) what goes into the store.....:cool:

I guess Alan's not working on it anymore. I very seriously he's being censored in any way. Here's a screenshot of the lighting controls I'm using, nothing fancy though, and It's hard-coded for now. I'm currently working on creating some custom buttons for A/V and navigator controls.

I guess Alan's not working on it anymore. I very seriously he's being censored in any way. Here's a screenshot of the lighting controls I'm using, nothing fancy though, and It's hard-coded for now. I'm currently working on creating some custom buttons for A/V and navigator controls.

Good for you, that looks great!

• 2 weeks later...
I seriously doubt Alan is being censored except for having a steady girlfriend, who I would think is eating up more of his time.

RyanE

It sounds to me like he's just not committed enough. He should be willing to sacrifice his girlfriend for the good of the C4 community ;) Next thing you know, he might want to actually start taking lunch breaks :lol:

Robert

I think I can speak for nearly everybody when I say, Alan, I love all work you've done for the dealers and community alike. I have no idea how you've done as much as you have without going broke or crazy.

Ok:

I posted about some of this stuff a while ago, but never really got things to where I wanted them. I do have, however, a set of "widgets" I use on the computers in the house to effect various types of control. I really wanted to put together a more full replacement for the C4 interface, but never got around to it.

That being said, I'd be happy to make some of these widgets available. They're JavaFX apps, and I just need to get them bundled and test out the deployment. I'll look at doing so next weekend.

Mitch

Archived