C4 Forums | Control4

iTunes playlist -> Control4 playlist converter

tiba21

This thread is intended to collect names of interested people in a program/script I'm creating, that will allow you to take your iTunes playlists and convert them to a Control4-compatible playlist. I also wanted to consolidate communication to a single thread for related dialog.

The need to take my existing iTunes music to my new Control4 system was always a problem for me. So, I decided to develop this script to help accomplish this, as I don't always want to have my iPod docked or buy an AppleTV (and driver) to listen to my music library.

Just note that this is in its beginning phases of development, so if you're interested in staying in the loop, just say so and I'll send you a link. I'm trying to keep the "beta" user group small for now as I don't know what overages this might cost me (i.e. hosting fees - bandwidth/storage space). Here's how it is currently works:

1. Have your Digital Media/iTunes library linked to your Control4 Media Library. I have my MP3s on a NAS drive and have that NAS drive mapped in Control4. The MP3s will need to be scanned to add to your C4 Media Library.

2. Once that is done, export your entire C4 Media (Audio) library as a XML file.

3. Upload the C4 XML and iTunes Playlist XML file(s) to my online script and it will create a C4 rendition of your iTunes playlist.

4. Download the C4 playlist file (will contain all of your provided iTunes playlist(s)).

5. Import the new C4 Playlist XML into your C4 Media as a new playlist.

NOTE: Depending on how large your playlist file is, it may take a while for your C4 Controller to complete the import. If your Composer doesn't respond, just let it sit and the playlists will pop-up when each one is complete. Mine took about 15-20 mins for a couple thousand songs with a HC300.

I've decided to open up the tool for any interested members. There has been good interest and I haven't experience any negative effects from the traffic. So, please provide any feedback, as I have received very little. With that said, here you go: http://www.contrivdesign.net (Under Services->Tools->iTunes-C4 Converter) OR http://www.contrivdesign.net/index.php?option=com_jumi&fileid=3&Itemid=13 (direct link)

Beta Testers:

1. ILoveC4

2. wingzz

3. mtech

4. strange_brew

5. Matt

6. dmcvie

7. arctic@1m

8. a_desiraju

9. kip

10. sscottroth

11. c4pa

12. jjcookie

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any chance of getting something also happening for movie playlist integration with the new C4 mediaplayer? :cool:

Well, I would love to do something like this, but I don't have the hardware (C4 media player) to really test it.

OK guys!! I was able to get the Converter working last night. For those that have expressed interest in being a beta tester, I've sent you information on how to find the tool. The core functionality works, but things like validation (aka "dummy-proofing") have yet to be implemented.

Quick Note: In case this is news to you (was for me), but you have to process/convert all of your iTunes playlists at one time. During development of the tool, I realized that Composer doesn't allow you to import a single playlist multiple times. The Converter tool converts all of your iTunes playlists into a single C4 playlist file.

For those interested in testing/using this tool, just let me know. Once the majority of the kinks are worked out, I'd be more than happy to open it up to the community to use. :D

I'm interested as well.

arctic@1m, email sent!

***And something I noticed when testing: ***

If you re-scan your digital media via Composer (i.e. after adding more music to your library), you will have to reconvert and import your iTunes playlists (using a new export of the C4 media list).

When a scan is done, Composer reassigns IDs to songs. If you don't reconvert your iTunes playlists, with the new C4 media list XML, none of the files will be detected when you do an import (i.e. the new C4 playlist will be empty in Composer).

Let me know if you have any problems!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

sscottroth, a_desiraju, kip and arctic@1m: A link has been emailed to you. Let me know if you didn't receive it.

Thanks!! And keep me posted on any questions, problems, suggestions, success, failures, etc...

I thought that Control4 was supposed to integrate with iTunes by now (or is the new version with that in it not out yet?)..... Everything under the sun can talk to iTunes, about time Control4 made it happen. If not I'll not be using it for whole house audio!

I have been reluctant to start redoing all my playlists, it just seemed to daunting a task. This would make it all worth it. I would love to give it a try. Thanks in advance for all your work on this.

I have been reluctant to start redoing all my playlists, it just seemed to daunting a task. This would make it all worth it. I would love to give it a try. Thanks in advance for all your work on this.

Thanks in advance for your help and input. Let me know if you have any questions...

• 4 weeks later...
can i be added to the beta group? sounds like a really useful idea!

Would love to add you. Just send me an email to abacote@gmail.com and I'll send you back a link.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived