C4 Forums | Control4

Slow Doorbell Announcement

AK1

Hi,

I have a delay of approx. 12 seconds when my front doorbell button is pressed and before any of my programming in my HC300 kicks in:

* Agent that displays an image from my front door IP camera on my 7" touch screen

* Set the volume on 4 zones to a specific level and then play a 10 second audio file

* Toggle 5 light switches twice

I tried incorporating the playback of the audio file in the 4 zones as part of the agent, but it seemed even slower.

Any ideas to speed this up? I don't mind that the programming takes several seconds to complete. My issue is the amount of time it takes before anything happens - camera image displayed, light toggle and audio playback.

Thanks...

What's your setup? Single controller? Software version?

Single HC300 version 1.7.3.

HC200s on each of the 3 x TVs.

About 25 x lighting zones.

Integration with DSC security system.

5 x C4 thermostats

16 channel amp, Avatrix for video distribution, contact/relay extender, C4 matrix switch

What's your setup? Single controller? Software version?

Single HC300 version 1.7.3.

HC200s on each of the 3 x TVs.

About 25 x lighting zones.

Integration with DSC security system.

5 x C4 thermostats

16 channel amp' date=' Avatrix for video distribution, contact/relay extender, C4 matrix switch[/quote']

Is the HC-300 running Navigator. I.E. does it provide a GUI for any displays. If the HC-300 is not providing a GUI you can disable Navigator. Navigator is one of the biggest resource users on the system net to Director.

Is your announcement scheduled to come up (as audio or video) on *any* on-screen displays?

RyanE

Yes, the announcement displays an image from the front door camera on the 7" touch screen.

The 7" is not an on-screen display.

The reason I ask, if it displays on an on-screen display (i.e. a TV), the announcement agent waits until the TV has fired up before popping up the announcement, which can cause delays.

RyanE

i suspect what ryan does. this delay may have been set for more than one reason, to compensate power on times for devices, to compensate a/v switching time, to allow time for other triggered programming, and "but not the case for you" to allow the 4 zone amp to come out of powersave. there are many possible reasons for the delay. i"m sure your installer weighed all this in.

A note to all that read this. for doorbell announcements, the simpler they are the faster they execute.

I have about 4-5 second delay with 2 300's and a 1000. It plays thru 3 zones thru C4 amps and audio matrixs. I was told the delay was due to the digital to analog and the turning on of the zone on the amp

I'm running an HC500 and I have about a 6 second delay from pressing the doorbells before the audio announcement plays. I have no on-screen displays. My dealer has tried everything. No luck.
I have about 4-5 second delay with 2 300's and a 1000. It plays thru 3 zones thru C4 amps and audio matrixs. I was told the delay was due to the digital to analog and the turning on of the zone on the amp

This is consistent with my own experiences, except mine takes longer possibly since I only have one 3000?

I'm running an HC500 and I have about a 6 second delay from pressing the doorbells before the audio announcement plays. I have no on-screen displays. My dealer has tried everything. No luck.

This is consistent with my own experiences' date=' except mine takes longer possibly since I only have one 3000?[/quote']

A 3000? That thing must be zooming. ;)

This is consistent with my own experiences' date=' except mine takes longer possibly since I only have one 3000?[/quote']

A 3000? That thing must be zooming. ;)

In my desire to speed up the pain fully slow announcement, I must have inadvertently added a 0.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone figured out how to speed this up?

I too have at least a 5 second delay between the time I hit a button and the time the announcement goes off and the rest of the programming executes.

A single Hc300 with navigator running.

Will throwing another controller at this make any difference?

bdo

Its the C4 Amp............the AMP shuts down when not in use to save power. So when the announcment kicks in, the amp has to turn on and then it does the announcment.

I have the older versions of C4 amps and they do not do this. Thus on my system at work......is new amp and does the 6 second bs.

Its something C4 did not think about when designing the new AMP!!! bah.............

same delay issues, about 6ish seconds. i have:

HC-500 (which does provide GUI to tv, but not fired up in the announcement)

8 zone Amp

Doorbell from Quantometrix

2 7" TS (ethernet, and announcement windows sent to both with screenshot from camera)

i know that the signal from the doorbell to the HC-500 is instant, because i set it to do something basic for testing (fire an IR code to an IR bud on the tv) and there was NO delay from when i pressed the button and the IR bud lit up red.

I did notice that i was able to cut down the delay by a few seconds if i had one announcement for audio(and only 1 zone) and a separate one to send the camera snapshot to TS. not sure why this was, as the TS dont need to be fully turned on as a TV GUI would need to be.

still would like to know how i can reduce the delay though...

Archived