C4 Forums | Control4

DVDs ripped to Media Player?

Help! Just got my Control4 system installed at our house (hooray!), but am having problems with my dealer and/or Media Player, or with my understanding of the media player. I haveDVD's that I have ripped using MactheRipper. These are then burned onto DVDs using Popcorn for Mac. The dealer claims that these files cannot be transferred onto the Media player because they aren't compressed and that the Media Player won't recognize them. I've got 2 or 3 terabytes of storage, so I'm not concerned about the storage issues. My DVDs are a maximum of 8 gigs each. So why is there a "problem"? I've gone to the trouble of ripping them, why should I have to compress them, thereby potentially losing resolution and wasting a heckuva lot of time?!

What's the story? Am I misunderstanding the capabilities of the Media Player, or is my dealer? Many thanks in advance for your input!

I have ripped DVD's sitting on my NAS drive that I play on my Media Player all the time.

Your dealer just needs to map your NAS/Storage so C4 can see the files in it.

Once that is done, all you do is use ComposerHE to tell C4 what the movie is, and where it is located. Here is the process I use:

1. Rip the DVD to my NAS drive (I use AnyDVD)

2. In ComposerHE, create a New video entry and search for the movie name (e.g., The Matrix); C4 will then pull the coverart etc... for the entry

3. Tell C4 where to look for the file (e.g., "MOVIES\THE_MATRIX\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.ifo")

4. The movie will now show up in the Navigator screens and the Media Player will play it

Works very well.

To clarify: I have the new C4 Media player! The files are in the form of usually two folders: one called AUDIO_TS, the other Video_TS

Then you should be good to go if you follow the directions I posted earlier. Do you have ComposerHE? Did your dealer set the path to your storage device?

I agree, you should be good to go. I have done hundreds and all works well. Either your dealer or you if you have Composer HE has to set the path. Then you need to scan the folder you point to. There is a glitch in the scanning process that will give you an error saying director not responding. Just ignore it and wait for a few minutes. You will then see the green progress bar scanning your files. When it is done just click no on the error window, close HE and restart, your movies will be there.

Good Luck

We have made some small steps in the right direction (thanks, strange_brew!), but once the movie is on the Mdia Player, it will play the movie, but there are no options to access the Extras, Director's Cuts, Commentaries, Deleted Scenes, Languages, etc., etc. What are we missing? Thanks!

We have made some small steps in the right direction (thanks, strange_brew!), but once the movie is on the Mdia Player, it will play the movie, but there are no options to access the Extras, Director's Cuts, Commentaries, Deleted Scenes, Languages, etc., etc. What are we missing? Thanks!

That's a fault of the Control4 media player. It doesn't support dvd menu structure.

Mind blowing...I know, but it is true. Hopefully this gets fixed in the future. If you need it right now, all the other media players do it. I have EVA9150's and they work great.

That is mind blowing! So what is the Media Player good for doing if it can't handle dvd menu structure?!

Playing DVD's in the default language, without menu structure.

That's one of the reasons why I have the EVA9150's.

That is mind blowing! So what is the Media Player good for doing if it can't handle dvd menu structure?!

Playing DVD's in the default language' date=' without menu structure.

That's one of the reasons why I have the EVA9150's.[/quote']

Any drawbacks to the 9150 that you've come across. I know from reading other threads that you've been running that config for quite awhile now. I'm considering adding 1 to my project. Kids can use the C4 player (since they don't care about menu's/extra's anyway) and I'll use the 9150.

Big issue for me is bluray support and the menu structure. I watch a lot of concert DVD's while I'm exercising in our Fitness Room, and using the C4 player is a real pain. There isn't even a bookmark feature to save where you were. Huge, huge miss on their part.

The only flaw with it that I've found is about every 8 weeks you lose control of the unit and it needs to be rebooted. The reboot fixes it right away. Like I said, its only about every 8 weeks. Who knows, maybe the latest firmware update fixed it...it hasn't happened for a while.

The only flaw with it that I've found is about every 8 weeks you lose control of the unit and it needs to be rebooted. The reboot fixes it right away. Like I said, its only about every 8 weeks. Who knows, maybe the latest firmware update fixed it...it hasn't happened for a while.

Cool, thanks. Another question if you don't mind - can HDMI and component output concurrently? I'm assuming no, but thought I would check.

• 4 weeks later...
I agree, you should be good to go. I have done hundreds and all works well. Either your dealer or you if you have Composer HE has to set the path. Then you need to scan the folder you point to. There is a glitch in the scanning process that will give you an error saying director not responding. Just ignore it and wait for a few minutes. You will then see the green progress bar scanning your files. When it is done just click no on the error window, close HE and restart, your movies will be there.

Good Luck

You can set the path using Composer HE - if yes, a little help.

Thanks

• 7 years later...

Excuse me guys, it seems that you know quite a lot about DVD conversion. Here I have a issue would you mind. Recently I download this DVDrip software (http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/dvdrip-software.html) as you can see. It says it can decode encrypted DVDs. I applied it to one of mine, the conversion was successful. But the output video had no sound only images ( although the images were pretty clear). I wonder whether it is caused by the so called 10X acceleration which caused the conten loss? Do you know how to solve this problem? Thank you.

19 minutes ago, Aquatickpla said:

Excuse me guys, it seems that you know quite a lot about DVD conversion. Here I have a issue would you mind. Recently I download this DVDrip software (http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/dvdrip-software.html) as you can see. It says it can decode encrypted DVDs. I applied it to one of mine, the conversion was successful. But the output video had no sound only images ( although the images were pretty clear). I wonder whether it is caused by the so called 10X acceleration which caused the conten loss? Do you know how to solve this problem? Thank you.

Try using dvd shrink.  It will rip and burn.  Or try Handbrake. Both are free.

Archived