C4 Forums | Control4

My HTPC, XBMC, and Control4 Integration Thread

well_armed

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hdmi does include audio, but you may have to set audio out at driver level (and possibly software as well).

Running acer revo and xbmc via hdmi to tv and all works fine. In fact playing 1080p very smoothly, only thing is menus are slower than a more powerful pc.

Yip, Audio over HDMi can be tricky - well for me it was. I managed to get it work great. My motherboard onboard GPU can't do True HD so everything is downsampled to DTS or AC3

This is connected to a Yamaha RX-V2067 controlled by RX-A2000 IP driver.

Short answer: Yes.

Long Answer: Oh man, this is where it gets really tricky. Check out the HTPC thread on the AVS forum. It will blow your mind what people are doing to get true surround audio out of an HTPC.

Yeh. I've read this. Blu ray Audio....that is Dolby True HD, and DTS -MAster Audio (MA) is what we are talking about here.... seems a real PITA to get out of a PC... A Dune streamer or Oppo Blu Ray player seem alot more friendly :) I'd love the Homer Simpson's PC HDMI Blu Ray audio guide :P

One obvious way is to bypass HDMI for audio all together and get a proper 7.1 analog audio card (like these guys's http://www.asus.com.au/Product.aspx?P_ID=QY0Ud4MG0DMfXNiQ ), but you would need a receiver with 7.1 Audio analog input, and I've yet to feel confident...

Oh, and Well Armed, I assume you are referring a thread like this ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1093445 ...though there are many... doesn't give a newbie a burst of confidence..:cool:

Split video and audio works for my theater receiver. But I would like to stream to all the rooms I have using the HDMI matrix switch I have. I believe I can direct all HTPC connections into the receiver and then to the matrix switch but then I'll have to keep my receiver on.

Leaning towards a PC becoz I could use it as a server too for our laptops. NeoTV is an option but then I'll have to get a NAS too. We're down to 2 laptops since my now old PC broke down.

Get a NAS and a dedicated media player. Skip the server, trust me.

Anyone who is thinking about getting the Mac Mini to play XBMC in full 1080p with no playback issues, use this build to get the VDADecoder to work properly (Apple made the API available to tap the GPU integrated graphics chips for things like XBMC, but the Dharma release didn't do it right for the mini).

http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/vdadecoder-mac-osx-fixed-package/#comments

Well armed, or anyone else following this thread.. Do you know of a specific PC board/video/audio card set up that does the same thing as the Sony PS3? That is outputs LPCM audio as 7.1 via the HDMI port? This is real handy as a lot of the Playstation guys split the audio/video HDMI out signal using a decoder, then run analog 7.1 audio into their receiver and the digital video into their TV (with the obvious benefits)

Regards

Wap.

• 1 month later...

You know I was just at the local PC shop and saw a motherboard that had HDMI 1.4 (i think) with audio. It was all built in to the motherboard, but carryed a price of $600 or so. Or you could step up to 800 and get the cpu,ram, and heatsink. I will have to go back and get the model number and brand so you can look it up.

You know I was just at the local PC shop and saw a motherboard that had HDMI 1.4 (i think) with audio. It was all built in to the motherboard, but carryed a price of $600 or so. Or you could step up to 800 and get the cpu,ram, and heatsink. I will have to go back and get the model number and brand so you can look it up.

Not sure if this is what your looking for or not?

Intel Sandy Bridge: Core i5-2500K and DH67BL Motherboard with 1.4 HDMI. (UPDATE: The model number has changed to DH67BLB3 for motherboards with the updated H67 PCH)...

http://www.missingremote.com/review/intel-sandy-bridge-core-i5-2500k-and-dh67bl-motherboard

Good luck,

David

• 9 months later...

No argument there, it is quiet. I guess we come from two different situations. My heat-producing equipment runs more than 12 hours a day. DVRs in record mode could take my equipment room to 90 degF on a summer day. Networking equipment runs 24/7 and is servicing 34 pieces of equipment. Plus I've got headroom considerations built into temperature management. Yes it costs but it will cost more if I can't conduct business here at the house due to heat-related failures. Bottom-line, a bathfan could never fulfill my needs. I run at a constant 60 degF day/night, summer/winter. My biggest worry is with dust but there is generous air movement too so I keep my fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...
I use a chiller in my equipment room. I use 6 Noctuas and glycol/radiator on my HTPC. I use a bathfan in my shitter.

What kind of chiller do you use. I use to have an equipment room which had hvac going in to it. Only problem was in the winter and I had to go under the house to close off the vent so the heat wouldnt go in to the room. So, just curious about how to keep a room cool all the time.

Archived