C4 Forums | Control4

Split unit AC

Hello Friend

I am doing a design for one Villa, one of the requirements is to install wireless thermostat, each room has its own Split unit AC and the thermostat is built in within the AC. So I would like to know if I can control the AC with control4 wireless thermostat.

Please let me know if my question is clear

Kind Regards

Firstly, I'm no C4 expert, I'm sure someone will post more clarification later when the sun gets around the other side of the earth.

The C4 Tstat is controlled wirelessly from the HC-300 (or similar), but has wires that need to be connected to the Heating or Cooling HVAC appliance.

I suspect there is no standard analogue controller wires available on your split system for the wireless C4 control tstat to connect to.

I suspect the way you would control the split unit is via a custom IR driver - see this post which explained how to get the IR codes from a split system

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=2990

Also search on cooling - heaps of other posts....

Good luck...

• 4 years later...

HI,

I'm getting my new home wired with Control4, and I'm gonna have some Fujitsu mini splits thru out my home. I'vre been looking all over for a C4 compatible option and today I saw chowmains drivers.

Is there anyone here using them? Is there a different option? And how hard is it to wire and connect? 

Is there someone that specializes in that that I can get just for this?

Thanks

HI,

I'm getting my new home wired with Control4, and I'm gonna have some Fujitsu mini splits thru out my home. I'vre been looking all over for a C4 compatible option and today I saw chowmains drivers.

Is there anyone here using them? Is there a different option? And how hard is it to wire and connect? 

Is there someone that specializes in that that I can get just for this?

Thanks

Any Control4 dealer will be able to assist you with this.  Wiring can be retrofit using a cardaccess zigbee2ir/axxess motion sensor or you can also hardware by running cat5/6 cable to the HVAC unit.for IR extension from your Control4 controller or IO extender.

This will give you temperature and motion in each room and communicate with the mothership.

http://axxind.com/automation/motion-sensor/

Then you are left with how to take that information and feed it into the AC for that room which I think you and Alan figured out above.

When I started designing my system my installer told me he doesn't know how to deal with split hvac's. So I'm afraid I'll have to teach him how to do it, unless theres a way for a techy non-installer (myself) to do it

When I started designing my system my installer told me he doesn't know how to deal with split hvac's. So I'm afraid I'll have to teach him how to do it, unless theres a way for a techy non-installer (myself) to do it

You can find the installation guide here.  This will teach him how to install it.

http://www.chowmain.co.nz/s/Chowmain-Generic-IR-Thermostat-Installation-Guide.pdf

I imagine this works on a non split Window or Sleeve Through Wall arrangement?

Just the problem is finding a home for the installation components.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

It will work with any IR controlled system with discrete codes

I just saw a product on indiegogo called sensibo. I see it works on zigbee, so it sounds like a nice solution for integrating with C4

Control4's zigbee pro HA stack requirements will not work without the manufacturer adding an additional zigbee cluster with control4 specific commands / requirements. We have integrated a few zigbee devices into control4 with manufacturers modifying their firmware to cater for control4

It will work with any IR controlled system with discrete codes

Control4's zigbee pro HA stack requirements will not work without the manufacturer adding an additional zigbee cluster with control4 specific commands / requirements. We have integrated a few zigbee devices into control4 with manufacturers modifying their firmware to cater for control4

I emailed Sensibo's support about integration with C4 and this was their response.

"We are actually working with 6lowpan on top of 802.15.4 (which is similar to Zigbee). Theoretically, our system could speak with control4, but it has to be integrated with their engineers. (each system is encrypted in a different way).

We are considering cooperating with partners like control4, but right now Sensibo is going to be stand alone."

• 2 years later...
On 6/1/2014 at 6:37 PM, chaim said:

I emailed Sensibo's support about integration with C4 and this was their response.

"We are actually working with 6lowpan on top of 802.15.4 (which is similar to Zigbee). Theoretically, our system could speak with control4, but it has to be integrated with their engineers. (each system is encrypted in a different way).

We are considering cooperating with partners like control4, but right now Sensibo is going to be stand alone."

Thats sad. But there is an API for Sensibo, so there should be a possibility to create a driver for this. I hope someone makes this soon.

1 hour ago, VegardK said:

Thats sad. But there is an API for Sensibo, so there should be a possibility to create a driver for this. I hope someone makes this soon.

We created a driver for the IntesisBox which is a similar product but on top of wifi control (which they call universal) it also has models that hook up via the manufacturers direct communications bus.

http://www.chowmainsoft.com/intesisbox-control4

2 hours ago, alanchow said:

We created a driver for the IntesisBox which is a similar product but on top of wifi control (which they call universal) it also has models that hook up via the manufacturers direct communications bus.

http://www.chowmainsoft.com/intesisbox-control4

How are the prices on intesisbox?

We have several customers where this would be an interesting product, and the Sensibo works good on most ACs, so having a driver for C4 would be the best.

9 hours ago, VegardK said:

How are the prices on intesisbox?

We have several customers where this would be an interesting product, and the Sensibo works good on most ACs, so having a driver for C4 would be the best.

Pricing for the models are as follows.  Note that the direct competitor to Sensibo would be the universal though if your HVAC system is compatible with the specific model i would recommend that as it communicates directly to the HVAC system rather than through infrared.

Also one of the cool features of the universal model is that it detects when you emit an IR code from the original remote so it will assume those are the current settings on the split system.

Specific - 197€ list 
Universal – 164€ list 

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2017 at 0:48 AM, alanchow said:

Pricing for the models are as follows.  Note that the direct competitor to Sensibo would be the universal though if your HVAC system is compatible with the specific model i would recommend that as it communicates directly to the HVAC system rather than through infrared.

Also one of the cool features of the universal model is that it detects when you emit an IR code from the original remote so it will assume those are the current settings on the split system.

Specific - 197€ list 
Universal – 164€ list 

Interesting. I agree in the IR part. I try to stay away in all projects if possible. But many AC that we use in Scandinavia don't have proper inputs for wired control. So IR is the main control in most cases.

I will investigate further into the intesisbox and get one for testing. 

7 hours ago, VegardK said:

Interesting. I agree in the IR part. I try to stay away in all projects if possible. But many AC that we use in Scandinavia don't have proper inputs for wired control. So IR is the main control in most cases.

I will investigate further into the intesisbox and get one for testing. 

You will find a that certain systems though they are IR controlled have a port internally for two way control.  For example Daikin split systems (from 2008 up) all have a s20 port which the Daikin specific IntesisBox can connect to.

• 7 months later...
On 23/05/2017 at 6:26 PM, VegardK said:

Our Sensibo driver is now available.

Archived