C4 Forums | Control4

System Remote Page

scott

The Control4 system in my great room works really well... even my wife likes it. The problem is that my 2-year old loves to hide the remote. I've spent many an hour looking for it and last night, after multiple searches, I gave up. I found it this morning in the bottom of the refrigerator! It would be really nice if they added a small, but loud, buzzer to the remote and there was a way to page it. All of my wireless phones have this feature and I end up using it a fair amount. Given ZigBee's low power consumption, I wouldn't imagine that it would consume much power listening for the page message.

If I had more than one remote it wouldn't be as big of deal.

The issue with being able to 'page' the remote is that the remote's zigbee transmitter goes to sleep for long periods of time, and when it's asleep, it can't receive the signal that would tell it to start beeping.

Another issue is that if it was indeed inside your fridge, it's possible that it couldn't get a zigbee signal at all, since a fridge may make an effective faraday cage, since it's all metal.

The only RF signal leakage would be through the door seal.

Of course, I could be wrong, and I'm not going to be getting inside my fridge with my C4 remote to check it out anytime soon.

:)

RyanE

I wouldn't expect it to work through the fridge;-) just the sofa, bookcase and everywhere else my two-year old puts it.

I don't know enough about power consumption of ZigBee receivers. If it's high, one way of solving that poblem is to have a simple recharger that it can sit in which would also be the ideal location for the page button. I get a lot of standby time with my cordless phones, which have crappy batteries and I assume require more power.

Archived