C4 Forums | Control4

Setting up a Mac harddrive as Network File Storage for Navigator?

BrettB0727

I was wondering if anyone had instruction to make a hard drive attached to Mac appear as a Network File Storage source so that the content may be accessed via the Navigator.

I already figured that it needs to be an SMB share so that it will show up in a Windows workgroup, but only the computer shows up and not the drive.

Thanks for the help!

• 6 months later...
I think it needs to be fat32 for read/write, ntfs is read only.

the drive can be mac journaled as long as its setup as a windows share. SMB will worry about talking between 2 different file systems.

I dont think he is talking about an external mac formatted harddrive plugged into the controller. I think he means a harddrive within his mac, or plugged into it being shared.

I think when you go into sharing on the mac and enable file sharing, there is a spot for a windows configuration.

• 1 year later...

Hi, last week i managed to share a folder from my mac to control4 so i could play all my iTunes music.

To do it though i had to install SMBup on the mac for Control4 to connect successfully. Apple have changed SMB in Lion on wards and doesn't seem to be compatible with control4.

In Composer I then manually typed the path address using the IP address of the mac, something like \\192.168.0.10\Music

Hi, last week i managed to share a folder from my mac to control4 so i could play all my iTunes music.

To do it though i had to install SMBup on the mac for Control4 to connect successfully. Apple have changed SMB in Lion on wards and doesn't seem to be compatible with control4.

In Composer I then manually typed the path address using the IP address of the mac, something like \\192.168.0.10\Music

You will need to set up a reserved IP address for the Mac using your router and the MAC or the Mac as the HC links to an IP path as shown above.

Hi' date=' last week i managed to share a folder from my mac to control4 so i could play all my iTunes music.

In Composer I then manually typed the path address using the IP address of the mac, something like \\192.168.0.10\Music[/quote']

You will need to set up a reserved IP address for the Mac using your router and the MAC or the Mac as the HC links to an IP path as shown above.

Already done :)

Archived