C4 Forums | Control4

Movie file scanning

wappinghigh

No, that is my setup -one folder for each movie with that folder containing all the meta files, ie my movies and xbmc.

Now if only control4 could do seasons and sets I would be happy! Or even better read my movies or xbmc Nfo files! It's painful to maintain three "databases"

• 2 weeks later...

Bump..

Please throw a bloke a frigg'n lifeline here..

Just how does the media scan within composer work?

To get the best possible fit for Coverart and Gracenote detail, does the scan take the details off the folder name, or the name of the actual movie file?

Obviously if the movie is stored in Video_TS format it is off the folder name, but what is the situation with an iso of mkv file?

As an example if the file is called kung_fu_panda.iso and it's stored under the folder name Kung Fu Panda -> will this be a problem?

Or should the movie file name be changed to Kung Fu Panda.iso?

I mean I had Animal House in _Video TS format stored under a folder called animal house (ie no capitals), and it wasn't picked up in the scan?? :/

Was the lack of capitals a problem??

And some of my movies have double up'd on the scan

eg I have both Jumunji.iso in location Movies/Jumunji/Jumunji.iso and a .Jumunji.iso in location Movies/Jumunji/._Jumunji.iso

WTF is going on here?

And why can't you just drag an image straight off google images from a browser into the cover art box of composer?

Please.

This is something users themselves are going to do....

We need a nomenculature guide here, to achieve the best possible scan rate.

At the momemt, my media scan only pulls up 50% of coverart and other details :rolleyes:

I've never professed the lookup was accurate...in fact, I've been quite vocal about my feelings on it. The lookup sucks. I don't know what it uses to determine what movie it thinks it is.

To grab coverart from Google right click on the image and hot COPY, then in Composer you hit the "paste from clipboard" button.

I think the C4 media scan for movies only automatically picks up data for .IFO files so for .iso or .mkv for example you have to run a manual scan that then finds the info as long as the file name is the movis name. Why this doesn't work automatically only C4 knows.

What also doesn't make sense is when I select the UK versions of movies so I get the correct ratings, there is never any synopsis information in the UK versions!

then finds the info as long as the file name is the movis name. !

So let me get this straight, for the best possible scan outcome, the file name has to be as close to the movie name as possible. Like "Kung Fu Panda.iso"

How about "double pickup's" what could be causing that? :)

• 2 months later...
I think the C4 media scan for movies only automatically picks up data for .IFO files so for .iso or .mkv for example you have to run a manual scan that then finds the info as long as the file name is the movis name. Why this doesn't work automatically only C4 knows.

I'm new with scanning movies.

As you said the .IFOs comes up after the scan. but none of my .mkvs register not even with partial info. The mkv files are in the same NAS folder as the IFOs and they also have a folder per movie. The folder and the filename matches the movie name.

Is there a step I need to do differenlty for mkv files?

Thanks in advance

Seems as if "folder name" and/or "file name" effect scanning.... I can just put the movie title in and it's fine (most of the time)

Doesn't like this

The Matrix (1999)

Seems to like this better

The Matrix

Is this confirmed? All of mine will have the year. I wonder if I can batch process to take it out. But before I do If anyone else have the same experience.

I'm new with scanning movies.

As you said the .IFOs comes up after the scan. but none of my .mkvs register not even with partial info. The mkv files are in the same NAS folder as the IFOs and they also have a folder per movie. The folder and the filename matches the movie name.

Is there a step I need to do differenlty for mkv files?

Thanks in advance

You need to tell it to scan for mkv files.

You need to tell it to scan for mkv files.

Thanks, I'll look again when I get home but I don't seem to remember seeing .mkv as a file choice. I remember mp4/avi/iso etc.

I did try .iso one time but it just stayed on idle. I just noticed that out of 2100 movies in the NAS the scan produced 165.

If the filetype you want to scan for is not listed, type it in the box.

I've scanned for .mkv's plenty of times.

RyanE

Thanks Ryan, I should've looked closer. I'll look again when I get home. I thought it was just a dropdown selection

If the filetype you want to scan for is not listed, type it in the box.

I've scanned for .mkv's plenty of times.

RyanE

Yep, typed it in and all the mkv movies got listed but EMPTY most if not all have no cover art or any info for that matter. I had to leave while it was still scanning. I'll have a closer look tonight.

• 5 months later...
You may want to look into integrating the "My Movies Collection Management" driver from Extra Vegetables.

http://www.extravegetables.com/products/my-movies

It would solve a lot of the problems posted on this thread.

Thanks I have looked into it but the output player is limited to Dune and something else but it was confirmed that I can not use my Netgear Media Player.

Perhaps when I change media players I'll consider the supported players.

Seems as if "folder name" and/or "file name" effect scanning.... I can just put the movie title in and it's fine (most of the time)

Doesn't like this

The Matrix (1999)

Seems to like this better

The Matrix

Just so everybody knows, just in case someone is modifying their file names to have a better scan result.

For mkv, even with this (no years) It will not populate metadata automatically from the scan. Scanning manually with no years in the title would still work better.

For whatever reason ifo's seems to invoke fetching of metadata. MKV's does not

Best results come from IFO or ISO, as they have a media tag built in (if properly ripped). AVI/MP4 and the other scannable files have more issues finding meta data, unfortunately. While it's been some time since I tried, MKV files aren't auto-scanned to begin with I believe and have to be added manually for the system to see them at all. Again it's been a long time so unsure how accurate that statement (still) is.

You may want to look into integrating the "My Movies Collection Management" driver from Extra Vegetables.

http://www.extravegetables.com/products/my-movies

It would solve a lot of the problems posted on this thread.

Thanks I have looked into it but the output player is limited to Dune and something else but it was confirmed that I can not use my Netgear Media Player.

Perhaps when I change media players I'll consider the supported players.

It supports Popbox, Popcorn Hour, My Movies for Windows Media Center and Dune players.

• 2 months later...

Archived