C4 Forums | Control4

Apple TV or Netgear EVA9150?

Hi all, any of you users out there got suggestions on best media player to hook up with C4?

I also want to copy my DVD library to disk and have on screen cover art etc via this media player.... rather than spending money on a 400 disk changer.

Any suggestions on how best to achieve this.

Thanks.

do you just have standard def media or high def media? if its just standard def than either of those would work. if you're talking high def, than its my opinion that neither of those are a good choice.

tum

I see in an earlier post DVDfab is used to rip dvd's - will try it unless others have a better preference??

No HiDef media at this stage - mainly standard def dvd's, but would like to 'future proof as best as poss.

(Not even watching TV in full HD yet as using a component a/v matrix so would need to buy HD fury to convert HDMI to Component and retain 1080p - currently over $500 down here in New Zealand. - and still only a few channels available in HD anyway!!!)

How about neither?

I mean is C4 integration so important?

I instructed my dealer to add an hdmi video input and I can switch any player I want....

So, I do have two 9150s and they work ok with DVDs, but do not support most of hi tech features of Blu-rays, but if someone wants them I will gladly sell them (they do have a 500MB disk that some people will find useful).

For AppleTV, as far as I remember you don't get 1080p, but even with it, it's Apple... so tomorrow it may be disabled.

As for the best quality player, my 2c go to Dune 3.0 (either primer with the Blu-ray player or base with hard drive). I have just bought and tested, Dune 3.0 prime, and it plays anything... and it has API, that is used in downloadable program called yaDIS, that makes interface as good as Kaleidescape... Before I expand this line, I am waiting only for RF remote; supposed to arrive soon.

I can vouch for DVDfab - its pretty user friendly and relatively inexpensive. Comes across a disk it can't crack every now and again -- but then I use DVD Decrypter ( Freeware) - not as user friendly but just as quality and Free :)

I have heard good things about the EVA9150, I personally am going with the C4 media player because I got a ridiculous deal on it.

The key here ( from what I have learned) is storage!)-- remember hi quality files take up a TON of space - when standard DVD files will rip around 5gb ( main movie only rip).

if your video is distributed high quality opens up a whole other can of worms with HDMI switches, and Baluns, which currently, can be pretty darn pricey!

Nice, how about audio, does it support TrueHD/Master HiDef DTS?

Btw, TMT is TotalMedia Theatre application, mostly used by HTPC. It support full 1080P & trueHD/Master HiDef DTS with the use of video card ATI HD 5xxx series.

So does the netgear eva9150 have something like the image below?

I don't know what TMT is, but yes...it has full menu support.

This is not tru :) (I have two 9150s). It does not play blu-ray ISOs. It is true for DVDs.

In fact, even if you rip it to .m2ts files for which it is optimized (other types are somewhat slower), it doesn't have the processing power to handle the action blu-rays that at moments go at 60Mb/s, and 9150 can handle at most 40Mb/s. You also will have hard time forwarding when watching HD films...

Btw, TMT is TotalMedia Theatre application, mostly used by HTPC. It support full 1080P & trueHD/Master HiDef DTS with the use of video card ATI HD 5xxx series.

So does the netgear eva9150 have something like the image below?

No, it has a single column, and you get a pretty bad tool to add info & photos... Compare that to Dune, which can do something (I have it) like above, and when you clikc at an icon you get another full-screen photo background with all the info on the movie.

Forgot to answer this. 9150 does not pass HD audio (again, compare to another player, I mentioned too many times in this thread).

I don't know what TMT is' date=' but yes...it has full menu support.[/quote']

This is not tru :) (I have two 9150s). It does not play blu-ray ISOs. It is true for DVDs.

In fact, even if you rip it to .m2ts files for which it is optimized (other types are somewhat slower), it doesn't have the processing power to handle the action blu-rays that at moments go at 60Mb/s, and 9150 can handle at most 40Mb/s. You also will have hard time forwarding when watching HD films...

Yes, Star Trek in m2ts will crash the 9100/9150 because of bitrate.

Racky,

Again, does yaDIS on DUNE support MASTER HiDef DTS / TrueHD sound ?

yaDIS is "yet another dune indexer and skinner" and has nothing to do about whether the player supports DTSHDMA/Dolby TrueHD (which the player does).

The AppleTV with the CrystalHD card installed and loading XBMC running on Ubuntu Linux off of a bootable USB drive or the internal hard drive can now play virtually everything. 720p in my experience is now basically 100% functional with minimal frame drops, 1080p is close but there are still a few frame drops particularly when a movie starts for 1 min and a few seconds after scene changes, depending on the movie. The newest versions of the crystalHD driver (r137) and latest XBMC nightly unofficial builds have supposedly made huge strides but I have not tried them yet. I am currently on r26 and SVN 28256.

Using the Linux build I have near complete control of XBMC with an IR driver, however there is no C4 integration in terms of coverart etc. There is a separate thread about this and ILoveControl is working on fixing the XBMC IP driver to make it function with current nightly builds.

Using the AppleTV with XBMC to play HD movies takes a lot of effort to get working and unless you know your way around or are comfortable doing a lot of reading on the forums and messing around with Linux and XBMC itself may not be the best choice for most.

C4 media player sounds a bit limiting with media types to me - for the NZD price of $1499 it is too much for what you get.

So Racky or other Dune users, is Dune fully functional with C4?

Are you using Dune UI or C4 UI to access content on Dune/NAS.

Is it fully functional using the C4 remote?

I dont have a dune but from what I've read you can't integrate the dune with c4 as far as getting cover art to show in the c4 gui today. The devs have said and you can read it here too that they are working on ip support which should allow cover art support. Once that happens, it should be a fantastic media player to use with c4.

tum

C4 media player sounds a bit limiting with media types to me - for the NZD price of $1499 it is too much for what you get.

So Racky or other Dune users, is Dune fully functional with C4?

Are you using Dune UI or C4 UI to access content on Dune/NAS.

Is it fully functional using the C4 remote?

Search the codeman's posts on the Dune. The Soho shop are (allegedly :cool: ) writing a 2way driver for this once Dune gets their IP control act into gear....

Archived