C4 Forums | Control4

Building HTPC

ILoveC4

I just know that with a family with 5 iphones, umpteen ipods. Half a dozen itunes (therefore home sharing) accounts, an itouch, 2 ipads, 6 or is that 7 mac's, and an AppleTv many of which get rotated in and out of the house (at any given random time): And grandma's that continue to give bluray's for xmas, and wives that buy DVD's ..... that the current content and streaming philosophy doesn't work seamlessly...... :)

That's why we still have people like the OPer trying to build HTPC's..

And continual discussions about NAS devices.

And me bobbing up here and adding, "if only" Apple would do the same..

Sorry - not buying it.

I have:

5 iPhones

3 iPads

Umpteen iPods

3 Mac minis

2 laptops

1 ( on order as of today's keynote ) Mac book pro

4 apple tvs. ( gen 1, gen 2, gen 3 )

0 DVD players

0 bluray players

0 cd players

0 vcrs

Every tv has a apple tv behind it.

Every computer has its own iTunes account

Every computer is authorized with every iTunes account

Every computer ( except the mini in the rack has its own local iTunes library )

Mac mini in the rack has its iTunes library stored on a drobo.

Every iTunes account is set up to automatically copy all purchases to the rack mini. Rack mini has 100% of all media ( between iTunes match for music, access to all tv shows, and all movies. )

DVDs that are bought by unknowing relatives are immediately ripped with handbrake, and added to local iTunes library, which then automatically syncs to rack mini.

From every device, i have access to every apple tv.

From every device, I have access to every piece of content ( even ripped )

From every tv, I have access to every piece of content

Access is via iPad/iPhone/iPod/laptop/apple tv/sr 250

Music is streamed ( iTunes match ) from the cloud

Tv shows are streamed ( iTunes purchases ) from the cloud

Movies are streamed internally from the iPads mostly with AirPlay

Movies are also streamed from the mini

Desktops are streamed via AirPlay

Photos are streamed from any device

My 4 year old can pick up an iPad, turn on the tv in the family room, and start to stream her favorite movie.

My 2 year old can pick up an iPad, start watching Cars 2, and then project it to the tv. ( if the tv is on )

When guests come over, they are joined to our "guest network" and can stream any content they have on their mobiles ( "heard a great new song today - wanna hear it?" 1 double click of a 6 button keypad and their music is streaming to my ceiling speakers )

When guests with kids arrive, and they have their iPads, the same 1 button allows them to project their kids favorite movie while adults visit ( ie have a few beers )

Everything is 100% seamless.

There are hiccups every once in a while, I'll admit, but for the amount of effort I don't need t put into this, and the number of times a device needs to be rebooted, I'm happy.

I think the point is: its irrelevant -where- the content is stored. Its irrelevant the format it's stored in. What matters is that I have access to it when / where / how I want to watch it. Cloud. Local hdd, rack hdd, iOS device, friends device. It just works.

Thanks

D.

Boy, Apple has you by the pants-pocket.

LOL just about to say the same thing.

To the OP, I have several xbmcs and they work great. Make sure to use a nvidia gpu, as they work th best with xbmc.

Also, just so you know Windows has a known issue with xbmc with memory leaks which will cause stuttering in playback and sometimes navigation. Happens with my xbmcs and for now I just schedule a nightly reboot which keeps the problem at bay

Boy, Apple has you by the pants-pocket.

I give them money, yes. But that $5b ( billion, with a b ) that they cut as royalties to developers has paid for all of it. And the royalties that I pay them to license their IP to sell my other products ( hardware and software that has paid for my kids college. ) is worth it to them.

It's a win win - which is what a business relationship should be.

But, as you pointed out, the OP was asking about htpc, and I still stick by my raspi. ( knowing the OP is against the apple solution )

Thanks

D.

I just know that with a family with 5 iphones' date=' umpteen ipods. Half a dozen itunes (therefore home sharing) accounts, an itouch, 2 ipads, 6 or is that 7 mac's, and an AppleTv many of which get rotated in and out of the house (at any given random time): And grandma's that continue to give bluray's for xmas, and wives that buy DVD's ..... that the current content and streaming philosophy doesn't work seamlessly...... :)

That's why we still have people like the OPer trying to build HTPC's..

And continual discussions about NAS devices.

And me bobbing up here and adding, "if only" Apple would do the same..[/quote']

Sorry - not buying it.

I have:

5 iPhones

3 iPads

Umpteen iPods

3 Mac minis

2 laptops

1 ( on order as of today's keynote ) Mac book pro

4 apple tvs. ( gen 1, gen 2, gen 3 )

0 DVD players

0 bluray players

0 cd players

0 vcrs

Every tv has a apple tv behind it.

Every computer has its own iTunes account

Every computer is authorized with every iTunes account

Every computer ( except the mini in the rack has its own local iTunes library )

Mac mini in the rack has its iTunes library stored on a drobo.

Every iTunes account is set up to automatically copy all purchases to the rack mini. Rack mini has 100% of all media ( between iTunes match for music, access to all tv shows, and all movies. )

DVDs that are bought by unknowing relatives are immediately ripped with handbrake, and added to local iTunes library, which then automatically syncs to rack mini.

From every device, i have access to every apple tv.

From every device, I have access to every piece of content ( even ripped )

From every tv, I have access to every piece of content

Access is via iPad/iPhone/iPod/laptop/apple tv/sr 250

Music is streamed ( iTunes match ) from the cloud

Tv shows are streamed ( iTunes purchases ) from the cloud

Movies are streamed internally from the iPads mostly with AirPlay

Movies are also streamed from the mini

Desktops are streamed via AirPlay

Photos are streamed from any device

My 4 year old can pick up an iPad, turn on the tv in the family room, and start to stream her favorite movie.

My 2 year old can pick up an iPad, start watching Cars 2, and then project it to the tv. ( if the tv is on )

When guests come over, they are joined to our "guest network" and can stream any content they have on their mobiles ( "heard a great new song today - wanna hear it?" 1 double click of a 6 button keypad and their music is streaming to my ceiling speakers )

When guests with kids arrive, and they have their iPads, the same 1 button allows them to project their kids favorite movie while adults visit ( ie have a few beers )

Everything is 100% seamless.

There are hiccups every once in a while, I'll admit, but for the amount of effort I don't need t put into this, and the number of times a device needs to be rebooted, I'm happy.

I think the point is: its irrelevant -where- the content is stored. Its irrelevant the format it's stored in. What matters is that I have access to it when / where / how I want to watch it. Cloud. Local hdd, rack hdd, iOS device, friends device. It just works.

Thanks

D.

Exactly how I am setup. (Except I have only 1 ATV on the rack)

Boy' date=' Apple has you by the pants-pocket.[/quote']

LOL just about to say the same thing.

To the OP, I have several xbmcs and they work great. Make sure to use a nvidia gpu, as they work th best with xbmc.

Also, just so you know Windows has a known issue with xbmc with memory leaks which will cause stuttering in playback and sometimes navigation. Happens with my xbmcs and for now I just schedule a nightly reboot which keeps the problem at bay

I've set up XBMC on many machines... I've been using it since i modded my first xbox many many years ago. And the best reliable hardware with minimal setup i found was a mac mini. I've tried running XBMC on windows and have run into so many issues with windows updates breaking networking(windows live essentials) and the memory issue you've mentioned. And for the price you pay for a mini, it is comparable to a home built machine if you are buying your windows OS to put on to it. XBMC live installed on a acer revo type computer works (i've used Zotac and Asrock)really well if you use a small SSD for the main HDD.

Some bug me because i like some apple products, even tho my main computer is a windows PC. I just cant be anti apple like a bunch of other people(some on this forum), when in many cases they make a superior overall product.

Where is that damn <sarcasm> flag...

Yes, they killed zune music, ie. the whole zune brand is dead.

The same service will be xbox music. it clearly says that on the site... Same crappy service, wma's with DRM, just a new name :)

Still can't believe you need the crappy zune software to load music on a windows mobile device.

Oh well, time to get back to work.

Archived