C4 Forums | Control4

Version 2 10" Touch Screen, Help Needed!!!

Big Tex

So I ordered the HC-1000. I hope it's good as advertised. While I was ordering the Hc-1000 I started thinking about the new Wireless Version 2 10" Touch Screen.

Does anyone have one or any experience with one? I'd love to get some feedback.

I've been waiting patiently for a wireless 7" with internet. I'm giving up. I think I might jump on a 10" if anyone can verify that it's worth a damn.

I'm interested in the battery life, Wifi capabilities, screen performance, and over all use. I hear it's a lot faster when you have a HC-1000. Can anyone confirm?

Any and all data would be much appreciated. The only info I have is about version 1 and most people were not thrilled.

Lastly a birdie told me that there might be internet connectivity for the 10" in the next 6 months. Apparently it's a programming issue and the browser could be run through the controller to the 10". Thoughts?

Thanks!!!!

There is no Internet plans on the drawing boards, at least not in the line of being able to surf on any of the remotes. They are bringing out Rhapsody, which is Internet based - but that'll be for the entire line. 7"... we'll have to wait and see... new 10" - ours finally shipped and should be here today or tomorrow... I'll let ya know more in a week or two. :) As for speed... the HC-1000 does speed things up a great deal - but I think if you've got your project running on an HC-300 you'll be just as happy! As for v1 of the 10" remote... correct in that it was slow and had some terrible battery life - but after the 1.3.2 update... the 10" started to FLY (even running in a MC / HTC environment)... so 1.3.2 did some MAJOR upgrades in the form of speed for the v1 10.5" TS.

We've been using the v2 10" for about 2 months now... It's definitely a huge improvement from the v1. Although the latest 1.3.2 on the v1 has fixed the navigator bug where it slows down after a day or two.

The actual unit just feels better. They have essentially gutted the entire unit and rebuilt it. It now supports G but unfortunately still doesn't support WPA which is a real pain in the neck..

Overall it's great...

The 7" should make a huge splash... I saw the prototype of it and it's a huge step in the right direction..

Thanks Dan!

Any idea on when the 7" might be available? How’s the screen on the V2 10"? Clear, clean, good resolution? How long does the battery usually last? Can you use the 10” outdoors in the sun? Some touch screens wash out easily if they’re not bright enough.

It would be sweet if the 7" supported WPA, had better graphics, was brighter and supported N. Thoughts? This is my dream device!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the info and advice you share regularly! While we have your attention do you have any comments on the HC-1000? I just ordered one. I have 95+ devices (+50k MP3's) and my system could use a little extra pep. Have you used one before? I have to imagine a stud like you was a beta tester.

My two biggest issues right now are media search speed and flexibility away from the touch screen. I'm dying on whether I should wait for the 7". As much as I like the remote it just doesn't do it for me. No XM metadata and the screen is too small. I desperately need a touch screen for use on the front porch and when I'm near the pool. Something that's light, flexible, and has great battery life would be ideal. The thought of lugging around a 10" scares me although the thought of having a big rich screen is enticing. If the 7" had a better screen I'd wait. Please share your worldly knowledge. Please…..

Lastly the real deal would be if the 10" supported a web browser and had internet access. That would trump the 7"... Ah...to dream....

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Slemay, I'm jumping to the HC-1000 because I currently have a MTC and still need a relay extender for all my extra relay and contact requirements. Unforunatley the HC-300 doesn't do it for me. I do think the HC-300 is the best device C4 makes. It's a perfect fit for the market. They should sell a ton. I wonder how they're doing with sales so far.

Thanks for the input on the 10". I'm looking forward to your future review...

Thx

Big Tex,

We have not announced a date for any additional touchpanels. There has not been an announcement of a 7" touchpanel, and any mockups seen at a tradeshow are at this point mockups. Mind you, I'm not saying we won't develop a smaller touchpanel, but until the official announcement is made, Control4 is not obligated to release any product, so I recommend dealers not talk about something that doesn't exist yet.

Also, although the idea has been kicked around about putting a browser on the 10.5", it is also not set in stone, and I don't believe any development has happened along that front. Although we hear requests for browser support, we also have dealers who are definitely *against* putting a browser on the 10.5" in a big way, because it would likely increase their support requirements.

That said, the HC-1000 is a great product, it should definitely clear up your media speed issues just fine, and I certainly hope we can satisfy your other requirements in the near future. The 10.5" v.2 panel has received nothing but good reviews, and it should only get better with the next release.

RyanE

Ryan, you had to rain on the parade, be the party pooper.... Just when we're about to have a lot of fun you come crashing down with reality....

We won't hold you to any schedule.... Give us a hint on that 7" ;0).... Come on, I work in High Tech Sales; I do it all the time.... It feels good....

When do we expect the 10" to be refreshed again?

On a serious note, it would be nice to know that C4 has at least picked up on the 7” but won’t commit to a date. In the mean time there are thousands of us who debate daily if we should bite the bullet on the 10” or wait for the 7” which is a better fit.

Will there ever be a user group of customers that get breifed on new products or can share ideas directly with C4? Right now the only conduit to C4 seems to be the dealers and they have their own agendas (see browser). While I understand their concern, I do think it's selfish to hold back browser capability when the competition has it.

Dan, please don' let Ryan scare you away. He was only kidding. I'd still love to hear about your 10' experience and any experiences with the HC-1000.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The reason I'm raining is not to discourage you from buying the 10.5", but because when the company started, many products were promised, and it always takes longer to develop a product than estimated, so there were quite a few unhappy dealers and customers who were turned off from the failed promises.

The story now is different. When we announce is much closer to being able to deliver the product.

We do have a dealer council that helps us plan and gets to see the things that are being developed, but I don't believe that there's an equivalent 'end-user' component. To be honest, most end-users don't know or care how it works, just that it does work. We rely on those dealers (and they are *very good* dealers, btw) to proxy for our end users' desires.

Most end users are not nearly as saavy about the product line as you and others who contribute on this forum are.

Thanks for your input.

RyanE

Ryan, I can't imagine why you guys wouldn't love the idea of a consumer (end user) group to comment on how the product is used in a real world setting. While I am sure you guys test the product in your own home, I think it is fair to say that C4 workers are not the most impartial test subjects. Additionally, dealers may not be the best either as they often will not hear what the complete story of what their clients like and dislike. I know I had this discussion the with Will West and Eric Smith the first week the product shipped and they claimed an end user focus group was something they were going to add. It makes sense and would be a really cheap focus group since there are a number of us here that know the product fairly well, have large instalations, and are interested in adding more and better products.

Back to the touch screen, I think that a small touch screen remote is several years over due. Sonos has a nice one, and Harmony even has a decent one. If C4 has no intention of release the hardware, I would love to find someone that could write a program for my iPod Touch to allow it to control C4!

Here's a suggestion for an enterprising C4 expert with the SDK, write a program for the Apple iPod Touch and sell it for a couple hundred $$ per device. My guess is that if it had 2 way communication, you would sell thousands of the program! I would be in for at least a half dozen to have them throughout my house!

Just a wishful thought!

Joe

You go Joe... I agree, the 7" is so long over due. Everyone has one, the SONOS is sweet. The new price on the 10" is painful. I'd pay for a 7" all day and night.

Nothing personal Ryan... You're still the best even though you blew up all my good inside G2... We still love ya!

On a separate note does anyone use the Jandy Driver for their pool? What features can you control with the driver? Ryan, here's a chance to redeem yourself.

I do hope C4 will start to solicit user’s opinions as well as dealers. Dealers would prefer to sell 10" and make more money.....

Big Tex

Not to pile on but I could not resist.

First, like everyone else here on this forum, I want to thank Ryan for his participation which is great and and very much appreciated.

Second, I agree on a having a 7 inch. Size does not always win.

Third, I seem to remember that C4 has (and was about to release) a pc or web version of a full interface but decided against releasing because some said that dealers thought that it would kill the sales of all screens 10" and in-wall. I always believed that it would only sell more c4 and therefore ultimately more of all products. Now just imagine that you could have a full web based interface so that you could in essence create your own handheld or whatever. Now maybe I am only imaging this since I am up late with a sick child.

Goodnight

Jim

The PC version has been heard by c4 loud and clear and from what I heard it will be available in 08.

A smaller touch screen is definitely on the near horizon. I'm not sure how much information about it I can release, but I can tell you it's going to make a big splash. I agree with Ryan that C4 is in a tough spot due to the delivering on product promises, and people are very critical of these promises. But you should hear something announced by the end of the year.

Dan

Archived