C4 Forums | Control4

Q/about the new Autonomic Control's MMS.5A and .5AV (edit Sept26)

wappinghigh

No doubt the stakes are pretty high with this product.

Is that why everyone is so uptight? :cool:

Personally I think they were pretty silly to release that Youtube video without a bit more data, explanation and specs on the product.

Now that it is out there in the public domain, what do they expect crazy crackpot's (who follow all this pretty closely) like me to do..?..Not pick up on the products "potential"..and start asking questions..?? :rolleyes:

If it can solve the "all in one" media player problem many of us have been asking for, offers high rez 24/192 sound to multiple zones, supports several popular video formats to the main family TV zone (including the illusive itunes DRM), is more rock solid than Sonos to network, and has a robust Control4 driver...then this just might be worth taking the 4K plunge..

I guess only time will tell.. :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe they're just trying to create buzz in anticipation of a big launch. Who knows?

RyanE

Well I certainly look forward to the "launch"..

Please keep us posted if you hear anything.

If it lives up to all the hype, this thing will certainly be worth buying. Even importing directly, if I have to... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wap!

Ok, I finally looked at it. Their specs so far seem to be a bit dated. Why does it have DVI? Well, I have to show you the briefiing from VESA.org. http://www.vesa.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ICCE-Presentation-on-VESA-DisplayPort.pdf DisplayPort/Thunderbolt is going to replace DVI. This Autonomic control system has DVI, so it appears to be the back of a motherboard. As you can see on the back of Mac Mini, there is no DVI.

ALC892 is from Realtek and here is the specs. http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=284

Actually, that chipset is on the Asus motherboards, but I don't install the drivers for it. Causes issues with J River. I seen posts in other forums about it. Not just J River, but other software programs. Realtek is used on most motherboards, but it is best to use another audio card. On my HTPC, I use Asus Xonar Essence ST with H6 option. I have 2 sounds cards on 1 HTPC, and works fine. I had to order the H6 from England though, it seems to be blocked in the usa.

1TB hard drive could be noisy, but it best to use SSD's but the specs don't say SSD. Only using 25 watts, so it is possible that is SSD. Their webpage states that you stream over USB, but that processor is on boad chip. (Audiophile sound over USB Stream full quality, 24-bit/192 kHz digital content over USB for a pure, jitter-free aural experience. Brace your ears.)

This should be priced around $500. No one is going to pay $4250.

I would need to know more about the cloud that Mirage is connecting too, but no information. Mac Mini looks better at this point.

Nitro, I think I read something somewhere that you can order the Mirage with an SSD.. rather than a HDD

But thanks for pointing out all the internals. Hadn't noticed the DVI.. surely the mms.AV will have HDMI?? Still very interesting comments . Not sure what 7.1 via USB means???? I know what 7.1 refers to..but via USB???

I agree the price is steep. But as PST and I have pointed out to you in the past, some folk will be prepared to pay for "the convenience". So the price is actually irrelevant to the discussion...

I just hope they release this soon, if not so all this "media library nightmare" discussion just goes away, and I can get all my files... Everything.... 24/192, Itunes DRM, mkv, iso, UV, even flac surround files.. Everything...playing from the one library via my beloved Control4.. :)

Nitro, I think I read something somewhere that you can order the Mirage with an SSD.. rather than a HDD

But thanks for pointing out all the internals. Hadn't noticed the DVI.. surely the mms.AV will have HDMI?? Still very interesting comments . Not sure what 7.1 via USB means???? I know what 7.1 refers to..but via USB???

I agree the price is steep. But as PST and I have pointed out to you in the past, some folk will be prepared to pay for "the convenience". So the price is actually irrelevant to the discussion...

I just hope they release this soon, if not so all this "media library nightmare" discussion just goes away, and I can get all my files... Everything.... 24/192, Itunes DRM, mkv, iso, UV, even flac surround files.. Everything...playing from the one library via my beloved Control4.. :)

It has HDMI, but the current specs are dated.

It could have a soundcard or DAC, because of the analog out channels. Just doesn't really state what. If it is a DAC, then it uses USB. That is the standard format. For example, you could buy this one.

for only 2k. http://www.exasound.com/e18DAC/e18DACOverview.aspx and mac mini. Still have money left over. The owner of J river loves that DAC, said it was the best they tested.

Read the realtek specs, it said PCM...can't remember it is late for me Something that you don't want!

Oh Yeh. Thanks!!

So it is..You are right... it's PCM..it better not be just PCM... surely there will be a way to output bitstream...

Good point..That is definitely worth investigating..

You don't want the DAC, in the same box. At times it is better to have the DAC outside. I am not even sure that is a DAC, it could be a sound card. If someone would open the box up, then I could see better.

A soundcard is a DAC and where it resides makes little difference. Autonomic is using a quality dac/soundcard in their products.

People get crazy with DAC's but a Musical Fidelity V-DAC II at $350 is an excellent performer and about where you want to be price wise over this the cost/performance ratio gets out of hand.

Archived