C4 Forums | Control4

HVAC based on whether windows are open or not

byronomo

As we approach fall and some days are much cooler than others, I've found myself opening the windows and turning off the HVAC to take advantage of the cool breezes that we get in the evenings.

I'd like to use Composer HE to turn off the HVAC in a certain room when the windows and/or doors in that room are open continuously for 5 minutes or more. Then I would like them to resume their schedule once all doors and windows have been closed for 5 minutes. The windows and doors have contacts are tied into my security system.

If someone could point me in the right direction on how to program something like this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

As we approach fall and some days are much cooler than others, I've found myself opening the windows and turning off the HVAC to take advantage of the cool breezes that we get in the evenings.

I'd like to use Composer HE to turn off the HVAC in a certain room when the windows and/or doors in that room are open continuously for 5 minutes or more. Then I would like them to resume their schedule once all doors and windows have been closed for 5 minutes. The windows and doors have contacts are tied into my security system.

If someone could point me in the right direction on how to program something like this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

I have this set on my house -

OBVIOUSLY the system has to know if a door or window is open.

I have announcements that occur when doors or windows are opened. If doors are opened for longer than a normal time frame I have the announcement tell me that the door has been left open.

If the rather large 12 foot by 9 foot door is opened for long and is desired to be so I have an option on the touch screen that indicates Intentional Door open so it does not dun us into shutting the door.

Now that you know I have "timers" on each of these it should be trivial to figure out how I set the thermostats to off when the doors or windows are left open.

All that is necessary to do then is turn the thermostat back on when the door shuts or all the windows are shut.

Bill

I have announcements that occur when doors or windows are opened.

Thank you very much for your response. That certainly helps me start in the right direction. How do you make the timer trigger if ANY of the contacts are open? In other words, I'd like to start the timer if any of the Doors (2 different ones) OR the windows (2 different ones) are opened. Any tips on how to accomplish this?

I have announcements that occur when doors or windows are opened.

Thank you very much for your response. That certainly helps me start in the right direction. How do you make the timer trigger if ANY of the contacts are open? In other words' date=' I'd like to start the timer if any of the Doors (2 different ones) OR the windows (2 different ones) are opened. Any tips on how to accomplish this?[/quote']

Sure - here is one way -

Have a variable - if any window is open then set the variable. when all windows are closed then the variable is NOT set. You can now handle turning off the AC when the variable is set.

I would have a door variable and a window variable - the door variable sets when the door (or any door open) timer expires.

The problem is that you can only "unset" the variable when all the doors and windows are closed. This will take some thought on your part on how you want to do this.

Let me know if this is not enough.

Bill

Archived