C4 Forums | Control4

Pioneer Receiver: Volume Indication

JP Rizal

I'm finding myself putting the volume on my receiver too high or too low. Since there is no visual indication where the volume is at. How does the other members resolve this issue. Is it possible to have the deafult volume programmable? Or program some sort of visual indication?

Which Pioneer?

Some models do report via Serial or IP the volume level when queried, so you could potentially set a default value on room on.

With a custom driver, one could get the volume level and program off of it, something like set a nearby led of a switch / dimmer / keypad to a different color if it is above a certain level...

Or something simple, like use the number pad on a remote to set the volume in 10% increments...

Is it that you are setting the volume too loud? If so, most Pioneers have in their setup, #412 Volume Setup and allow you to limit the volume and change the power on level defaults.

Pioneer model VSX-??? (can't remember)

Fairly old no RS232 or IP for sure. IR only

It is more like. The movie start with no sound at all. You ramp up the volume thinking that is set way too low. then the sound suddenly kicks in and blows your eardrums. A Visual indicator will be nice but a reset to default willl be helpful.

I can see in the driver that "Volume Set ##" is grayed out.

Thanks

In order for the receiver to tell the control4 controller there needs to be some sort of feedback mechanism in place.... IR doesnt offer this as its a 1 way communication with the hardware you are using. If you moved to a newer Pioneer Elite receiver or their top model Pioneer receiver, you would have IP control of the receiver with volume feedback and default volume level settings.

In order for the receiver to tell the control4 controller there needs to be some sort of feedback mechanism in place.... IR doesnt offer this as its a 1 way communication with the hardware you are using. If you moved to a newer Pioneer Elite receiver or their top model Pioneer receiver, you would have IP control of the receiver with volume feedback and default volume level settings.

I've been eyeing Yamaha receivers RX have serial port even some of the HTR's have serial. Just not sure if serial drivers exist for them. So these drivers will have more control?

In order for the receiver to tell the control4 controller there needs to be some sort of feedback mechanism in place.... IR doesnt offer this as its a 1 way communication with the hardware you are using. If you moved to a newer Pioneer Elite receiver or their top model Pioneer receiver' date=' you would have IP control of the receiver with volume feedback and default volume level settings.[/quote']

I've been eyeing Yamaha receivers RX have serial port even some of the HTR's have serial. Just not sure if serial drivers exist for them. So these drivers will have more control?

Yes, you should have more control over the receiver when using a serial interface.

Things like discrete volume.....like the original post, you could have programming in control4 with a default room volume.

IR can send a volume up, down and mute command.

Most serial controlled devices will let you set the volume to a specific level instantaneously.

The other huge advantage is 2 way feedback. Things like if the source on the receiver is changed it can tell control4 to keep track of what source you are on. that way things would never get "out of sync"

Go with a D&M Brand receiver like Denon or Marantz. Most of them have IP Drivers.

For the current IR Issue, I would consider getting your Dealer to change the "Pulse Rate" to 1. I think the default is 5. So for every time you press the VolUp button, it increases by 5 instead of 1. You want to change that.

Archived