C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 and routers N and AC standards

c44me

Enterprise/business class router and use wireless access points. I'd never suggest buying a wireless router on a new standard when it first comes out.

I like and use Meraki, Rukus, Packedge, Luxul, in that order. The first two are a bit much for a residential install the second two are solid choices.

I just purchased Ubiquiti Unifi UAP for $67 on amazon.com http://www.ubnt.com/unifi#UnifiHardware

This was after many weeks of research, AC standard is not finalized btw. My laptop connects at 300mbps to this AP. If cost is not an issue they have a dual band 2.4/5ghz option Unifi AP Pro (UAP-Pro) that has 2 gigabit ports and a few other additions but the price goes up dramatically.

For me I have a couple smartphones that are 65Mbps max anyway and my laptop that is 300mbps maxed at HT40, I decided since the UAP is 100mbps ethernet I'd put it down to HT20 and it links at 130mbps.

The range is incredible, right now it is laying flat on my office's table (low) and I can go anywhere in my 1300 sq ft home and get 80-100% it has a green colored ring showing the status that you can also turn off if desired and comes with mounting to mount on wall or ceiling (looks like smoke detector) best looking AP I've seen even better than the Cisco that you see in a lot of places on the ceilings.

The management interface for this AP is AWESOME. You probably won't find a better interface in an AP. Can't recommend it highly enough and I'm not alone, just do some searches I think it has 4.6 out of 5 stars on amazon even with idiots that gave it 3 or 4 stars because they don't know how to configure it...

BTW my Galaxy S3 last night (with AP on table flat still not mounted) in the other room was testing at 38mbps connected at 65mbps previously on my G router Dlink connected at 54mbps it would get 11-12mbps. It has guest traffic control, and you can even setup a paypal account and a DMZ to isolate guests from the network. It is a true enterprise AP at an extremely affordable price.

Thank me later after you receive it and set it up. I agree with cashmoney never use a wireless router that's amateur garbage.

I've had a Ubiquiti, not bad stuff at all. I still got better overal signal coverage with the brands I mentioned. Depending on your environment the Ubiquiti may be more then enough.

I've also had excellent luck with the D-Link DAP-2553 which cost about $125. The signal strength was strong even through several concrete walls and floors.

Indeed even N isn't really stadardised after....

Quick on the Luxul, use the APs, not the Router, known issues with C4.

As for usuability, C4 is stuck on B if you've got old MTS or 10.5" portable. The rest is pretty much stuck on G.

The only exception really is the newest portable and wall screens, they'll do N (old 7" will see N networks but has issues connecting).

So your AC "standard" router will be forced to run at whatever network protocol is the lowest. In other words the AC gets defeated anyway.

Yes this is simply put but covers the basics.

I'd not in any way advise going AC right now, but if you really want to, just get a seperate AP for the C4 stuff. Seperating these two things will only give both WiFi signals more (free) bandwidth to divide.

In general as mentioned, it's always best to use a wired router plus AP over a built in WiFi.

If I could still get them I'd get single port out router, no built in switch or built in AP. That's still how I use them none the less - single port on router going to a (proper) switch, seperate AP(s) to switch.

Indeed even N isn't really stadardised after....

As for usuability, C4 is stuck on B if you've got old MTS or 10.5" portable. The rest is pretty much stuck on G.

The only exception really is the newest portable and wall screens, they'll do N (old 7" will see N networks but has issues connecting).

So your AC "standard" router will be forced to run at whatever network protocol is the lowest. In other words the AC gets defeated anyway.

Yes this is simply put but covers the basics.

I'd not in any way advise going AC right now, but if you really want to, just get a seperate AP for the C4 stuff. Seperating these two things will only give both WiFi signals more (free) bandwidth to divide.

In general as mentioned, it's always best to use a wired router plus AP over a built in WiFi.

If I could still get them I'd get single port out router, no built in switch or built in AP. That's still how I use them none the less - single port on router going to a (proper) switch, seperate AP(s) to switch.

which is what I've got now. wrt54g -> netgear switch -> MAC cloned wireless AP wired to HTC

I've kept my old 5ghz Dlink a/b/g wireless AP/router(not used for routing though) so that my new Unifi UAP can be 2.4ghz N only on a channel by itself. So I've disabled any clients not on N which is what I read was good to do if you want best speed possible. After mounting on wall last night 6 feet high I can go through entire house with 80-100% and almost full link speed.

I've kept my old 5ghz Dlink a/b/g wireless AP/router(not used for routing though) so that my new Unifi UAP can be 2.4ghz N only on a channel by itself. So I've disabled any clients not on N which is what I read was good to do if you want best speed possible. After mounting on wall last night 6 feet high I can go through entire house with 80-100% and almost full link speed.

sounds like a good upgrade path thanks

Been running the Luxul Router on my C4 system for a year without a single issue.

Then most likely you've jumped the gun.

I've had to rip out 4 in the last 4 months - although 2 are running fine.

Issue is mostly with certain remote services combined with certain types of ISP's and inconsistent. That said, my above stats break down to a 66% failure rate - for C4 systems. Not something I can maintain - not with so many more -and better- options out there.

To note, the most recent firmware and following Luxul's guidelines does supposedly fix this. It has in fact re-appeared on the recommended list - although I don't hold that list in overly much awe - nice guideline for the inexperienced.....

• 3 weeks later...

This is the only proper way to go, use the DrayTek Vigors as they come with N (wifi) or without N for hardwired, hooked up to the Cisco AP's it works a dream. and of course as CYknight has said, use a proper smart switch.

I know the cisco AP's do 'clustering' (allowing the ipad etc to handover between AP's without manually disconnecting/reconnecting) has anyone else had any other successful experiences of this. i know a lot of brands are offering it, but few that actually come up with the goods...

Archived