C4 Forums | Control4

Press and hold with a normal switch

mas0282

Hi guys

On my C4 system I just have regular push button light switches in place of C4 control pads (it was a cost saving thing....). One push turns the switch on (closed) and another turns it off (open).

I have been reading this article about press and hold: http://www.c4diy.com/how-do-i-implement-a-press-and-hold-action-on-a-dimmerswitchkeypad/

I'd love to do this but having pondered on the programming I don't think works for a regular switch, does it? The problem being that say the switch is on (closed). When you depress the button, there's no change in the state of the switch (it stays closed) until you release it, at which point it changes and becomes open. In other words, the C4 system can't distinguish between the switch sitting there static and when it's depressed, because the state is the same (closed).

Is that right?

If so, fingers crossed for the multi-tap option!

Great website btw, ILoveC4.

Thanks

mas0282

Thanks for the reply - I'm a bit lost.

Are you talking about C4 switches? Because I dont have C4 switches. Just generic push button light switches like these: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLXDQP1S.html?source=froogle

Guess my dealer realised that as a switch can be linked to a lighting scene, generic switches could be used in place of the C4 option to save on cost.

(in Composer HE they show up as "Generic contact switches")

I don't think anyone can actually answer the question unless you can be more specific to the type of switch you're talking about.

The 'hold' functionality would only work with a momentary push switch. i.e. it's contacts are open most of the time, you press it, and while the button is held in, the contacts are closed. When you release it, the contacts are open again.

RyanE

Archived