C4 Forums | Control4

Need Bluray Player

ILoveC4

I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

I've decided to take better advantage of the streaming services available out there (Hulu, Netflix, etc...) and I've determined that getting a Bluray player is probably the most sensible way to accomplish this. Currently, aside from a 400 Disc Changer, all my media is viewed digitally using a pair of PCH C-300's.

So...there are tons of Bluray players out there...the only problem is I need one that supports COMPONENT. I haven't made the plunge to HDMI yet, but will do that sometime this winter when I finish the rest of my basement. In the meantime, I need to be able to have something that can be controlled via C4 (IR, IP or Serial is fine) and output (hopefully 720p) over component.

Does anyone have any recommendations of models? I'm not opposed to buying a used one if I can't get a new one that does what I need it to.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

There's a Sony BDP-S360 available here locally. That seems like it should fit the bill.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions or any insight as to why that might not work, I think I'll go that direction.

Again, any input is much appreciate.

Oppo with RS232, or one of the new Sonys (590/790) with ExtraVegetables IP driver and an HDFURY III/4

While at risk of sounding cheap, I'm not too thrilled about spending $400 for the HDFury, $415 for the Oppo and probably another $150 for the driver?

While the Oppo is great...I don't know that it's going to do $800 more than this Sony would...I'm really just looking for a way to stream Netflix/Hulu.

If you're cool with IR then thats fine, I just skipped that and saw serial and IP. My bad :)

As long as it works reliably, it doesn't make a big difference to me.

So, any thoughts on that Sony unit? Anything bad about it that I should watch out for?

While the Oppo is great...I don't know that it's going to do $800 more than this Sony would...I'm really just looking for a way to stream Netflix/Hulu.

Roku much?

http://www.diamondhomedesign.com/store/prod-diamond_design_Roku_Media_Player_IP_Driver_for_Control4-437.aspx

If you can get one of the first gen rokus (XDS) they have component.

what happens in 2013, when HDCP content will only be allowed over the hdmi output?? i remember reading an article about this somewhere. Hopefully the streaming content on the player will still work over the component outputs.

what happens in 2013, when HDCP content will only be allowed over the hdmi output?? i remember reading an article about this somewhere. Hopefully the streaming content on the player will still work over the component outputs.

Didn't that only affect *new* equipment built after a certain date, and with Blu-ray only? IIRC you can still get DirecTV boxes and Cable boxes with component out.

Roku much?

http://www.diamondhomedesign.com/store/prod-diamond_design_Roku_Media_Player_IP_Driver_for_Control4-437.aspx

If you can get one of the first gen rokus (XDS) they have component.

That's a good suggestion Cody...I'll seek out one of those.

Archived