C4 Forums | Control4

New Equipment Question

pistolero

1st let me state that I am planning on having a pro install my equipment. That said, I like to educate myself before I go shopping as I don't want to be sold a bunch of stuff that I do not need or won't fit my needs. I have been browsing this forum a bit and haven't really found answers to my questions. New construction. Here is my goal: 1 home theater with full surround speakers, 1 other television where surround sound is not necessary, audio throughout the house, I would like to have 8 zones (I guess the theater would count as 1 zone?), I would like to have the ability to control lighting and thermostats as well as the ability to control a sprinkler system and be able to control everything through an ipad/iphone. I will probably go ahead and wire for security and cameras. I am considering a 3rd television on the back deck (though not necessary).

Here is what I am wondering: I haven't seen much on here about the Sony 5800 receiver and I am wondering with this meet my needs? What other equipment do I need in addition to it? Do I need an hc-800 as well? I am just slightly confused. Thanks in advance.

If you are installing all that at once, you need the HC800.

If you are starting in the theater, you can just do a HC250 or just the Sony 5800 now and add on later.

Basic rule of thumb - single room system, sony works fine. couple rooms with just audio/video control, hc250 works fine. whole house with 8 zones of audio and accessories and lighting and security, definitely use the HC800.

I am doing it all at once. So, I guess you would recommend that I go with the HC800 and then I could really just choose whatever home theater receiver I want then. I assume that I would need an 8 zone amp as well. Would there be any advantage to going with the Sony 2800 or Sony 5800 over another home theater receiver? (looking closer, I don't see why the 2800 wouldn't give me what I need over the 5800)

I am doing it all at once. So, I guess you would recommend that I go with the HC800 and then I could really just choose whatever home theater receiver I want then. I assume that I would need an 8 zone amp as well. Would there be any advantage to going with the Sony 2800 or Sony 5800 over another home theater receiver? (looking closer, I don't see why the 2800 wouldn't give me what I need over the 5800)

I'm not familiar with the new Sony STR's but I got the impression that if you already have a full blown C4 Controller/System that having the STR's will be redundant. Again I'am not sure of the price difference but I would guess that I could get a Sony C4 certified receiver that does not have the built-in HA ability for cheaper.

One of the benefits for using the Sony receiver as well is you get an additional on screen display control. You can use the HC-800 on screen display for the second tv that you are using. This way there will be no "battling" if two people are trying to use it at the same time. So basically you would have the HC-800 as the main processor and the Sony 2800 processor as a slave. Redundant processor power never hurts. I do know someone that has installed three HC-250 because there were three televisions in the system and the customer wanted OSD on all of them but didn't want a video distribution switch. He did lighting, climate, door locks, audio distribution and climate control throughout the house. It worked great.

Archived