C4 Forums | Control4

Is there a market for EV drivers?

wappinghigh

It takes an EV account to re-assign any codes - which to my knowledge you need to be a automation dealer for to obtain. But they ARE re-assignable using the proper process.

You would HAVE to go though the (EV) dealer that originally assigned it, as he would have the only access to the option (well short of EV themselves I suppose).

^ Thanks. Not a problem.

It's *my* license key right? I mean *I* paid the money for the driver, so it's essentially mine?

Or do I need to read the fine print on who actually is the legal owner?..

I mean EV must have surely looked into this. They can't expect every user (particularly pathological device nerds like me) to not want to upgrade stuff every once in a while.. :)

And once you no longer have some hardware, there is obviously no need for the driver....

It all depends on the license.

Some licenses are non-transferable, even if you don't have the equipment anymore.

EV is only liable to transfer according to their license, which could be for same-system transfers only.

I don't know that it's the case, but it's certainly *possible*.

You'd have to check with them to know the answer.

RyanE

Deal with James at Diamond Design when at all possible, he allows transfers to new hardware and is very helpful. Hopefully EV has better customer loyalty than to not allow a license to be transferred to new hardware. Please do let us know I am sure we're not the only two that are interested in this knowledge.

I can see the creator not wanting the licenses to be resold to other people that much I have no problem with. However if I'm buying a license / driver etc and provide my proof of purchase etc I don't think I would purchase from a company that didn't allow me to move it to new hardware. Scratch that, I wouldn't buy unless I had absolutely no choice and even then I'd probably just go without using it.

I never said EV would not allow a transfer *to the same customer* with new hardware...

I said the license may not allow transfer *to a new customer*.

I agree, it'd be totally bonkers to not allow swapping out hardware.

The original question asked if there was *a market* for the drivers. If they can't be transferred to a new customer, there's no market.

RyanE

Alan' date=' if a driver is purchased through your organization and the C4 controller is changed do you allow the license to be changed to the new hardware?[/quote']

As our licencing cannot be revolked we can only offer replacement licences for RMA'd controllers. This unfortunately does not work for people who have upgraded controllers. We are working on a solution for this.

This should help clear things up

Alan' date=' if a driver is purchased through your organization and the C4 controller is changed do you allow the license to be changed to the new hardware?[/quote']

As our licencing cannot be revolked we can only offer replacement licences for RMA'd controllers. This unfortunately does not work for people who have upgraded controllers. We are working on a solution for this.

This should help clear things up

Thats not good for the end user and should be something that is very clear when purchasing.

To answer the question on Extra Vegetable drivers - we enable dealers to manage their licenses via their Extra Vegetables account. If the controller has to be replaced for any reason, then the dealer can reassign the license to another controller. This is designed to make a controller swap-out either for an upgrade or RMA as quick and painless as possible for the dealer and their customer. We sell licenses to dealers, not to the end customer. The situation with the customer will depend on the contract between the dealer and that customer, however the licenses are always managed via a Control4 dealer.

That would be accurate pstuart - or that's the simple situation. Never be afraid to talk to you new dealer however about such a situation...can't vouch for others but we are never unwilling to TRY and work something out - somehow.

Service is the name of the game.

Archived