C4 Forums | Control4

iPad Mini

tebery

Will you be getting an iPad Mini for your C4 system?

Since I already have the home license, a $299 portable touch screen is in my future.

Even though a reconditioned iPad2 is in the same price range, I will give a mini a shot.

NOTE: I am not an Apple fanboy, I have many iDevices but hate the restrictions put on them.

Was going to go with a Nexus, Asus, or similar device but after just watching the live stream of the release event I'm ordering 4 iPad Mini's, a new iPad, and a new IMac.

Don't know how anyone justifies a C4 Touch when compared to the diversity and capability of an iPad/iPad mini or even a droid tablet.

Hmm, the ipad mini is tempting...

Nexus tablet is $259 for 16 gigs, max size

Kindle HD 7 is $199 for 16 gigs, $249 for 32 gigs

ipad mini is $329 for 16 gigs wifi only, $429 for 32 gigs, $529 64 gigs

microsft surface RT is $499 for 32gigs, $699 for 64 gigs (includes cover/keyboard) bigger screen, similar to normal iPad...

all have similar screen dimensions and resolutions now...

iPad has largest app eco system...

Kindle and Nexus are Android based, and despite fragmentation, have 2nd largest app pool. Although the Kindle is restricted out of the box to Amazon's app store, you can load google play's store via sideload.

MS surface is unknown for app space, but rumored to have about 3,500 apps at launch.

Looks like Apple and MS will be going toe to toe in the high end 7" tablet space, where Google and Amazon are in the lower end space / android space.

Of course, the Surface will probably not run a control4 myhome app for some time, if ever...

I'm going to wait it out for the Microsoft Surface Intel chipset running Windows 8 pro and see where that price point is. If its under $999 for 64 gigs, its a steal.

But I am still tempted to pick up an iPad mini, since I have so much apple crap... Just can't make the leap to the ligthning adapter, hate having to get all new cables, etc. If I have to do that, might entertain the competition.

I agree, for me also Apple is not my cup of tea, but good products. Personally, I just don't like the restrictions on having to use itunes, etc. I bought a $199 Nexus 7 with only 8GB since I had planned on using it just for C4 MyHome. Turned out to be a great little device and I have taken it on business trips because it fits in a sportcoat pocket as well a used it at work, VPN'd into work server with through sonicwall etc. I'm sure the ipad mini will be a great device for the same reasons just because of the form factor, but I need to get a couple more Nexus 7's.

I got the 16GB version, but I also have a 32G USB Stick that I load media on for trips, then you can use a USB OTG cable on the USB port of the Nexus 7, and use it to transfer files onto the Nexus 7.

The 3" USB OTG cables are pretty cheap from China, I picked up a few of them in case I lose one.

RyanE

Hmm, the ipad mini is tempting...

Nexus tablet is $259 for 16 gigs, max size

Kindle HD 7 is $199 for 16 gigs, $249 for 32 gigs

ipad mini is $329 for 16 gigs wifi only, $429 for 32 gigs, $529 64 gigs

microsft surface RT is $499 for 32gigs, $699 for 64 gigs (includes cover/keyboard) bigger screen, similar to normal iPad...

all have similar screen dimensions and resolutions now...

iPad has largest app eco system...

Kindle and Nexus are Android based, and despite fragmentation, have 2nd largest app pool. Although the Kindle is restricted out of the box to Amazon's app store, you can load google play's store via sideload.

MS surface is unknown for app space, but rumored to have about 3,500 apps at launch.

Looks like Apple and MS will be going toe to toe in the high end 7" tablet space, where Google and Amazon are in the lower end space / android space.

Of course, the Surface will probably not run a control4 myhome app for some time, if ever...

I'm going to wait it out for the Microsoft Surface Intel chipset running Windows 8 pro and see where that price point is. If its under $999 for 64 gigs, its a steal.

But I am still tempted to pick up an iPad mini, since I have so much apple crap... Just can't make the leap to the ligthning adapter, hate having to get all new cables, etc. If I have to do that, might entertain the competition.

Here is Sharp's new tablet. Not sure who it is based on, but it does come in different sizes (7, 10, 13). Supposed to come out in December in Japan.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9232478/Ahead_of_Apple_event_Sharp_reveals_7_inch_tablet_with_IGZO_display

Although, I like this concept video from Apple.

Is the google app the same as the apple app? or is it flash based?

The Android app is a native Android application, similar to the iPhone / iPad app.

It's not flash.

I'm sure if the Windows tablets get really popular, Control4 will create an app for that platform. If it 'crashes and burns', like Blackberry has in terms of popularity, maybe not.

Of course, I'm not speaking for the company when I say things like that. :)

RyanE

Its a good thing C4 put all that time and effort into their own 7" tablet.

:)

I love my dedicated C4 wireless "tablets", and they have more functionality RE: the C4 System than the MyHome app does. That said, the MyHome app is good too.

Dan

I love my dedicated C4 wireless "tablets"' date=' and they have more functionality RE: the C4 System than the MyHome app does. That said, the MyHome app is good too.

Dan[/quote']

Hey Dan, just getting into C4 addiction; what is the added functionality compared to a Win7 tablet?

I love my dedicated C4 wireless "tablets"' date=' and they have more functionality RE: the C4 System than the MyHome app does. That said, the MyHome app is good too.

Dan[/quote']

Hey Dan, just getting into C4 addiction; what is the added functionality compared to a Win7 tablet?

The myhome app on windows 7 emulates a 7" touch so not much.

But on the ios/android devices, compared to c4 touch and windows app you do not have blind proxy or access to the 4store apps, thats off the top of my head.

• 1 month later...

Any chance the MyHome app will be enhanced to use the intercom feature? (since tablets have microphones and cameras)

Might hurt their sales of touch screens, but on the other hand, the return on more sales of individual and/or site licenses for both MyHome and Intercom might be worth it. Just a thought.

Archived