C4 Forums | Control4

HC300 Power Supply DIY

seangreer

On 5/28/2021 at 1:19 PM, RyanE said:

Kind of surprised no one has just tried to repair the P/S.  I'm sure it's likely to be bad caps and/or the regulator IC itself.

RyanE

They have :) Took to a electronics repair guy and he was totally perplexed...

On 5/28/2021 at 12:45 PM, Sefiro said:

Late to the discussion but posting for future diy's. 

Client wanted to repair rather than purchase new equipment.

Just wired in a COSEL LFA15F-5v purchased from Mouser. I also ordered the matching pigtails from Mouser. (Cosel website will tell you which pigtail needed). Had to be creative for the case mount as the PS footprint is different.

Do you have a link to the product(s) you purchased?

• 1 year later...

My HC300 died aka failed to power on yesterday. Reading on this forum, the most logical solution would be to replace the power supply. Called a few local C4 dealers who are not interested to repair or don't carry parts and want to upsell a upgrade for $2K +. Has anybody successfully replaced the power supply ? Where can I find the part ( don't even know the part # :( )? Looked at some used working units on ebay. Can I harvest the power supply and implant in my unit ? If successful , would it require reprograming $$  my unit by a authorized dealer ? My apologies for so many questions. Thank you all

19 minutes ago, hd57 said:

My HC300 died aka failed to power on yesterday. Reading on this forum, the most logical solution would be to replace the power supply. Called a few local C4 dealers who are not interested to repair or don't carry parts and want to upsell a upgrade for $2K +. Has anybody successfully replaced the power supply ? Where can I find the part ( don't even know the part # :( )? Looked at some used working units on ebay. Can I harvest the power supply and implant in my unit ? If successful , would it require reprograming $$  my unit by a authorized dealer ? My apologies for so many questions. Thank you all

If the power supply is the only thing wrong with the controller, replacing it should be the only thing you need to do in order to get it running again, since the project file isn't stored in the power supply.  :)

Dealers aren't interested in repairing it because the power supplies are not even available anymore, and even if they were, there is no guarantee that something else isn't wrong with your controller, and the HC300 has not even been sold for 10 years.  It's obsolete, and it would probably cost more to have them repair it than replacing it with a newer controller, assuming you have a project backup.

RyanE

14 minutes ago, RyanE said:

If the power supply is the only thing wrong with the controller, replacing it should be the only thing you need to do in order to get it running again, since the project file isn't stored in the power supply.  :)

Dealers aren't interested in repairing it because the power supplies are not even available anymore, and even if they were, there is no guarantee that something else isn't wrong with your controller, and the HC300 has not even been sold for 10 years.  It's obsolete, and it would probably cost more to have them repair it than replacing it with a newer controller, assuming you have a project backup.

RyanE

Thank you Ryan for your response. How can I isolate / diagnose the specific  problem for lack of power ? Can you please tell me the part # and where I can buy it ? Any links for how to replace the power supply ? Thanks

Search the threads here and you will see a part number.  However, it seems like the part may no longer be available from electronics suppliers.

If I were you I would buy a used HC300 on ebay, you should be able to get them for no more than $20.  Then it is very, very easy to replace the power supply.  Open the case.  The power supply is a small board that has two connectors that pull off.  Pull of those connectors, take out the screws and replace.

From my understanding on reading on this forum once the power supply is installed ,NO reprogramming is required . Is the programming stored on the same board as the power supply  or elsewhere? Thank you very much

1 hour ago, RyanE said:

RyanE

Hello Ryan,

I found a unit on ebay ,C4-HC300C-E-B . How is it different from C4-HC300-E-B which i am trying to fix ? Is  the power supply compatible ? Thank you

1 hour ago, hd57 said:

Hello Ryan,

I found a unit on ebay ,C4-HC300C-E-B . How is it different from C4-HC300-E-B which i am trying to fix ? Is  the power supply compatible ? Thank you

There were 3 revisions of the HC300: HC300, HC300B and HC300C. Power supply should be the same throughout, C would be latest.

This supply isn't as plug and play, BUT it's also not 10+ years old like all the one's you're going to find used, which will fail just like yours did.
You'll need to cut the ends, and know the basics of 110v LNC and LV + - (if any of that's scary, skip this)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T6UJBU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.