C4 Forums | Control4

Home Theater audio options please

troyfrezze

I'm trying to search here and via "the google" for audio systems that will integrate into Control4. What I want is to find a audio system that will do 5.1 or 7.1 for my basement. I would be hooking it up to my HTPC and my Xbox to output audio of course for just that room. I've so far only found one link where someone mentions the Denon AVR-1912 but haven't got much more info beyond that. I know the new Sony systems will do it as well, but I already have my 800 in this same area, so I have no need for another controller, just something that will handle the audio for me. Does anyone have recommendations of equipment I could check out?

Sounds like you are talking about an AVR. There are tons of them. To get true C4 control (serial/IP) you are going to be spending some dollars. You should be able to get by with a Pioneer (non-Elite) model with IR control for much cheaper.

I've controlled an Integra DTR 50.1 now via serial for near on 2-3 years and it has *never* missed a beat (or input). Brilliant driver and integration with Control4

6 months ago I added a Yamaha Aventage RXA-1010 (in another room) and have been controlling this via IP. Again no problems whatsoever. The IP control has been excellent with this receiver.

So it really then comes down to how you want to control your receiver.

Many say here serial is more robust. I guess it makes sense since this takes one network loop out of the equation. Then again it ties your receiver to close proximity to the HC800, and ties up a serial port.

So just depends on your individual circumstances :)

Of course you could get the Sony (with inbuilt controller and 4xIR out) for under 1K..use 2 of these IR outs for the HTPC/Xbox (if required) and move the HC800 to another room.. This would give you an additional room with Control4 "control"... :)

The closeness of the two won't be an issue. I plan to install a rack into my wall in my basement so that I can bring it all together. I guess that's what i'm trying to figure out now is if I want to go with the 40.2 pre-amp and then buy an amp to go with it, or if I just want to go with the 40.4 receiver instead.

Of course IP/Serial is head and shoulders above IR. But show me a receiver that works with C4 for under $700 or $800. Even the IP controlled Pioneer I have isn't an Elite and isn't compatible!

Of course, I am running quite a few of these so that makes me more sensitive to the price.

IP is unfortunately somewhat in it's infancy so not always reliable on all models. Serial however should never be an issue and is still fairly prevalent.

That said:

Pioneer VSX50-53

Pioneer VSX-1120

Sony STR-DA1800ES

Yamaha RX-A710

Yamaha RX-A810

These are just a few examples of IP controllable receivers with certified drivers that you can get for 700-800 or less.

IP is unfortunately somewhat in it's infancy so not always reliable on all models. Serial however should never be an issue and is still fairly prevalent.

That said:

Pioneer VSX50-53

Pioneer VSX-1120

Sony STR-DA1800ES

Yamaha RX-A710

Yamaha RX-A810

These are just a few examples of IP controllable receivers with certified drivers that you can get for 700-800 or less.

Ok so, maybe I was a little high on my estimate but definitely a price premium, more than it should be. For serial or IP. But I have mostly looked at Pioneer because that is what I'm partial to.

And the VSX-1120 is an old model, VSX-1121 doesn't work.

Beautiful, just searched and 1120 and 1122 are listed on C4 website but not 1121. Brilliant, Pioneer/C4. Not.

Archived