C4 Forums | Control4

When is enough enough?

Viperman

I currently have control4 1.7.4. I am going to be getting new controllers and upgrading to 2.4. I am also going to add some new switches. At first count I thought I would add 5-10. As I was walked around last night it ended up being 23 additional switches and that still wasn't everything. I also have 4 fireplaces each with an on/off switch and then a blower switch so 8 more if I did those.

For those of you with elaborate systems how do you do yours? do you do everything or just some things?

In some respects I want EVERY light on it. Closets and everything, and then sometimes I just say what I got is fine.

^I would say that less than half of my automated lights get used to the fullest extent. That is, they are on schedules and transient dim. The rest are just expensive nightlights. Closet doesn't make much sense. Use a Home Depot timed motion for $20.

My rule is, unless I have a true need for something, I don't do it. If unsure if you need it, wait.

I agree with you . I'm addict to control4 stuff too

I currently have control4 1.7.4. I am going to be getting new controllers and upgrading to 2.4. I am also going to add some new switches. At first count I thought I would add 5-10. As I was walked around last night it ended up being 23 additional switches and that still wasn't everything. I also have 4 fireplaces each with an on/off switch and then a blower switch so 8 more if I did those.

For those of you with elaborate systems how do you do yours? do you do everything or just some things?

In some respects I want EVERY light on it. Closets and everything, and then sometimes I just say what I got is fine.

We see both of course - and I'd say in about equal measure.

Myself, I have EVERYTHING on C4 control - closets and more. That said I also replaced some lights and am using low-voltage and relays instead which is much more cost-effective.

It really is a personal preference. One of the biggest reasons for me is to have the ability to control everything off-site, plus I use my lighting in lots of party and holiday modes and other special effects (love Halloween :D).

Another is having a universal look across the house (for me - black devices with stainless steel coverplates all around).

But it's also very possible to pick and choose lights where off-site or easier local control would be nice, and where they will help improve a ZigBee mesh if needed. Examples there are outside or garage lights for easy control from inside, or doing a basement where kids usually play but adults don't go very often (in other words the lights get left on). Zigbee Mesh increase often means spreading lights out somewhat and including stairlight and such to create better "jumps" across the house.

Like I said - it's very much a personal preference.

Personally I don't have a single light in the house that I do not use C4 devices for effeciently - automatic off, vacation setups, using the C4 dimmer's capability to control max % and min % (including changes based on time of day etc). Is it a must - of course not. But then again having home automation isn't exactly a minimum survival requirement to begin with.

I automated all the lights, fans, everything, but the garbage disposer. I had upgraded my ADT system awhile back so I could integrate it with Control4 and will be getting the Infinity intercom capable touch panels to integrate with a Control4 contact/relay wired door bell.

Byron

i also have just about everything....., im lacking irrigation, pool

I tried to only do certain lights..but when i executed my bedtime scene...there was always a couple lights on that drove me crazy....added those to, i also have cerain lights that cannot be turned on during daytime hours......if someone tries to turn on....nope!!!....go right off

So out of curiosity. I just went and counted. I have 106 switches downstairs and 42 upstairs. That counts everything, but it would be expensive as hell to wire all that up. I am adding a gas heater and LED lights to the pool this week. I am upgrading to an aqualink on the pool and getting a heat pump/chiller in a month or so, so I will integrate all of that. I am getting all of my garages hooked up as well as the TV integration so that it will interrupt the program whenever the phone rings or someone is at the door. I already have 4 thermostats, a 20 switches, HC 300, doorbell, Audio distribution, NAS, and a couple of other things. Upgrading to an HC800 and video distribution throughout the house.

I've gone through different mindsets since my control4 addiction began. At first it was a way for the home builder to automate my garage doors. Then I very slowly started to see the power and capability and my eyes grew wider. I am not wealthy so I've been buying mainly used switches and hardware at a quarter of the cost new. Then I install it myself and have a remote dealer I was introduced to here bind and program it. Doing it on the cheap has worked out well for me and allowed me to expand my system vastly, but required a lot of effort on my part.

I've got all my lights on it, and the garbage disposal is on a Control4 switch with the ZigBee board removed.

I still probably shouldn't stick my hand down there unless I unplug it underneath.

:)

RyanE

I'm trying to figure this one out... The ISE is hardwired to a cannibalized SW2? You say you unplug it so I guess it's running off the bottom of a 5S1.

Myself, I have EVERYTHING on C4 control - closets and more. That said I also replaced some lights and am using low-voltage and relays instead which is much more cost-effective.

what do you mean by the low voltage and relays?

12v LED lighting switched using relays (and shown as lights using Card Access' driver)

What type of lighting are you using? LED pots, strip lighting? Id love to do all low voltage led lighting. The idea of paying for LEDs AND drivers to drop 120AC to whatever voltage DC seems crazy to me. Id prefer a 100% low voltage wiring system with PWM dimming for my whole house.

Archived