C4 Forums | Control4

Irrigation Controller for Control4

therodog

I received my Irrigation Caddy - super easy to setup and program. Much easier than the dial system that I had before.

I'll try to post a screenshot when I get my programmer to put the driver on Control4. I think it's going to be pretty basic control, but I wanted to get it up and running, since, you know, I'm trying to automate everything. :>

In all seriousness, I know the C4Store app is pretty basic at this point, but I'm wondering if the driver gives me a little bit of control, it might be cool to shut the sprinkler down for temperature, and PERHAPS, if I can get this data as a variable, for rain forecasts, like the more expensive CyberRain, which I didn't end up getting, not because of the expense, but because I couldn't integrate it into my system. I'd also like to be able to run the front of the back sprinklers as a group from a keypad button press.

So I have the driver in place, but it hasn't been so clear how to get the driver to do anything. The functionality within the driver doesn't make it easy to say "Run Zone 1 for 10 minutes" - though it's completely possible I'm just an idiot and can't figure it out. Also, it doesn't seem easy to get the driver to stop a program from running if CHANCE_OF_RAIN_TODAY variable is >50, though like I said, that'd be bad*ss.

Finally, I can't get the Lite App to download from 4Store, and I'm not sure why - I have the driver installed on my system now.

^ Been in communication with the developer last week. The driver provides no functionality as it pertains to C4 composer HE programming. The driver is there to support the Flash 4store app, which coming from an IOS friendly house is useless since we just use the Irrigation Caddy IOS app because 4store app's don't run on IOS.

In addition, I did try to purchase the 4store app from a 7" TS and the buy button is greyed out - but the driver is installed. I suspect the driver name being checked for is different than the one available in the C4 driver database.

In addition, I did try to purchase the 4store app from a 7" TS and the buy button is greyed out - but the driver is installed. I suspect the driver name being checked for is different than the one available in the C4 driver database.

Alright, you're having the same problem I am with the driver and the app ... I feel better.

The developer should get the driver to do programming things within Composer, otherwise, it definitely isn't as cool. I'm starting to get more touch screens, so I'm OK with the app ... but that doesn't work either.

I should try to get in touch with the developer and see what's going on.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt - I've been in contact with the developer a few times and he indicated last he essentially didn't know how to to fix it and that he "had an inquiry into Control4". It's been two weeks now and I've yet to hear back from him. I'm guessing he's got a post floating around on the 4store developers forum.

Is there any curation done on 4store apps ? The reason I ask is this dev has an app up on 4store that can't be purchased and a driver in the driver database that is essentially useless. Secondly, there are skins in 4store that have not been kept current with navigator changes, meaning there is art missing from the skins due to changes/advances in the navigator interface. "Contact the developer:" from 4store has not yielded a response either - so a purchase has been made for a skin that no longer works and the developer does not respond - netting a 1 year rental of the skin and not a purchase.

You're right - these issues with the 4Store are a little strange.

So 2 weeks ago (almost 3) I asked Control4 about this - they said they'd get back to me. Almost 2 weeks later, I contacted them again and said "Hey, I haven't heard anything." They said they'd get someone to contact me by the end of the day. That was a week ago and i haven't heard from anyone.

I get that there might be issues, but I bought the Irrigation Caddy for it's Control4 connectivity, and it's never worked. The Control4 people aren't helping. The iPhone app is cool and otherwise, it has worked flawlessly.

I personally believe they should outsource the driver to another company. As you know the driver has no useful functionality. Please continue to push their teams to update the driver, as I plan on doing the same.

With regards to your questions; Control4 has tools in place to validate drivers and apps; however, not all apps can be fully validated without the developer going through Control4's certification process.

Being an open source, it is not required but recommended to go through the certification process and place Control4’s approval on a driver/hardware/app etc..

This driver/hardware/app did not go through this process.

Matt

• 1 month later...

I just received this response from Irrigation Caddy: The full app is not out yet. There are changes required on the driver before that happens. I don't have a date yet but it should be before the end of the year.

I just received this response from Irrigation Caddy: The full app is not out yet. There are changes required on the driver before that happens. I don't have a date yet but it should be before the end of the year.

Wow, the end of the year is a long ways off. Got one and haven't installed it yet, guess I don't need to be in a hurry. Thanks to all who have been inquiring with the developer.

• 2 months later...
If anyone gets this working, I'd be interested to know if you could get it to turn on certain sprinkler heads upon a motion detection event.

I'd love to shoo off the deer (and/or burglars:D).

The driver that is being released next week will support something like this

• 1 month later...

Archived