C4 Forums | Control4

Sony 2800/5800 Receiver issues

Chosen

Does anyone on here use the sony 2800 or 5800 receivers as part of their control4 system? I have one of each and neither are able to stream music through Control4. It will load the media and it appears to play but no sound comes out. They are both secondary controllers.

Also, does anyone know how to update the firmware? Once the Control4 license was activated that option to update them disappeared.

Thanks for the feedback.

It makes sense that update is done by ComposerPro.

My dealer has tried unsuccessfully on 4 separate occasions to get the audio to stream through either receiver. Both are secondary controllers and both only have speakers on a single main zone. Control4 tells them to contact Sony and Sony says to contact Control4.

I'm not sure what else I can do other than try to hire a dealer from another city to fix the issue.

• 5 months later...

I finally had another dealer come out to give me a price to fix the issues that I am having with my system. The person that showed up said that they stopped selling the Sony receivers and that they had problems with streaming audio with several customers. They said there was nothing else they could do to fix it and that I should purchase a HC-250. I don't really want to shell out the money for another controller with my system being less than a year old.

Does anyone know if there are any settings that needed to be specified for the receivers to get them to work? Or are there any ideas whatsoever that I can use to try to get the receivers to stream audio from any source?

I finally had another dealing come out to give me a price to fix the issues with I am having with my system. The person that showed up said that they stopped selling the Sony receivers and that they had problems with streaming audio with several customers. They said there was nothing else they could do to fix it and that I should purchase a HC-250. I don't really want to shell out the money for another controller with my system being less than a year old.

Does anyone know if there are any settings that needed to be specified for the receivers to get them to work? Or are there any ideas whatsoever that I can use to try to get the receivers to stream audio from any source?

I've got the Sony 1800 and the HC250, works great and the HC250 streams the audio into the 1800 through the HDMI connection. The 1800 is IP controlled by the HC250.

Got the 1800 for a sweet deal in the Amazon Warehouse (50% MRSP) :)

In Composer HE, under System diagnostics in the packages section, if I compare the Sony receivers to my 800 the audioclient package for the Audio Streaming Client is missing. They both have audioserver though. Can anyone else with one of the receivers look and see if theirs shows the audioserver package?

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be honest here, I'm not a big fan of these recievers.  It's been my experience that a standalone reciever with a controller (HC250) is much better.  I think other dealers/installers would agree.  I know that doesn't answer your question, but drop me a line and I'll see what I can do.

I have a 2800 and was using it as a controller with a HC800.  I could never get it to stream any music from my digital media source.  The other receiver Sony 1800es in my media room worked as expected.  One day I was monkeying around and the receiver got reset back to the factory default; since then it has worked much better.  I regret paying to turn on the full automation. If I had known the 800 was powerful enough to run everything, I would've just used the 2800 as a receiver from the start. As a receiver its awesome in my setup, as for a controller the HC250 is way better.  

Archived