C4 Forums | Control4

Need a 65" TV...any recommendations?

ILoveC4

Hey guys...I need a 65" TV for the living room downstairs. This is mostly a kids room so I don't need anything fancy, but I need something with IP or RS232 control and discrete inputs. I'd like to keep it around $1,000 - $1,500 if I can. Also, I'd like one with a component input.

Any suggestions?

So much depends on budget ..... The Pannies are good, the high end sammy LED is prob better but 5x the price (and I'd say not 5x the quality...), Sharp does ok in the lower range, Elites are great but again price....

Budget would help to point in the right direction...

So much depends on budget ..... The Pannies are good, the high end sammy LED is prob better but 5x the price (and I'd say not 5x the quality...), Sharp does ok in the lower range, Elites are great but again price....

Budget would help to point in the right direction...

I said I'd like to keep it around $1,500. It's in a play room...nothing too crazy.

We do lots of the Sharps because of their affordable price-point and get very, very few complaints - usually it's along the lines of it's too big for the room which I don't think really counts. I'd say for the price they are hard to beat.

I do know that generally we just use IR on them simply because both serial and IP have proven dramatically unreliable - but that goes for almost any TV at the moment.

Have several and we've pulled them because the motion blur is horrible.

Mhh seen that but proper settings seems to largely take care of it.

Again it's the budget that makes the choice - you won't hear me claim it's the best one out there, but for the price many choose it over spending much more.

Have several and we've pulled them because the motion blur is horrible.

Mhh seen that but proper settings seems to largely take care of it.

Again it's the budget that makes the choice - you won't hear me claim it's the best one out there' date=' but for the price many choose it over spending much more.[/quote']

Had one of them calibrated by an ISF tech and the motion blur was absolutely no better.

Here is a 60" panasonic that would fit the bill though no IP or RS232.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008KCSMHS/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

Here is a 65"

http://m.samsclub.com/ip/65-panasonic-plasma-1080p-smart-tv-w-wi-fi/prod9300314

A general calibration all too often does not go into Hrz settings at all, which may be part of it. There's also different models etc.

But I'm not here to make excuses for Sharp.

The pannies are a decent deal to be sure though.

Hey guys...I need a 65" TV for the living room downstairs. This is mostly a kids room so I don't need anything fancy, but I need something with IP or RS232 control and discrete inputs. I'd like to keep it around $1,000 - $1,500 if I can. Also, I'd like one with a component input.

Any suggestions?

Maybe a stupid question, but why IP or rs232? I'm going on 6+ years with IR on all my TV's (expect the projector) and have never had an issue.

Hey guys...I need a 65" TV for the living room downstairs. This is mostly a kids room so I don't need anything fancy' date=' but I need something with IP or RS232 control and discrete inputs. I'd like to keep it around $1,000 - $1,500 if I can. Also, I'd like one with a component input.

Any suggestions?[/quote']

Maybe a stupid question, but why IP or rs232? I'm going on 6+ years with IR on all my TV's (expect the projector) and have never had an issue.

I just don't like the way the IR bud looks on the front of the TV. It isn't a reliability thing, just a cosmetic thing. And frankly, it isn't the end of the world if it has to be controlled via IR, so long as it has discrete inputs. I would just PREFER RS232.

Newer Samsungs are nice for this - you can put the IR BEHIND the tv.

Still using an IR bud' date=' or by using an IR in port?[/quote']

Bud, but you can stick them at the back (behind the little "joystick") wher eyou don't see them.

Not quite as neat, nor 2-way like serial or IP of course, but better than stuck on the front.

Newer Samsungs are nice for this - you can put the IR BEHIND the tv.

Still using an IR bud' date=' or by using an IR in port?[/quote']

Bud, but you can stick them at the back (behind the little "joystick") wher eyou don't see them.

Not quite as neat, nor 2-way like serial or IP of course, but better than stuck on the front.

Never looked at the back to see what the "joystick" is, but that is a more elegant solution for sure.

Still haven't made any decisions.

Alright guys...I've ruled it down to these two 60" TV's and I'm going to buy one of them this afternoon.

Does anyone have any feedback on either, good or bad, that you can share?

The Sharp: http://www.costco.com/Sharp-AQUOS-60%22-Class-1080P-120Hz-Edge-Lit-LED-Smart-HDTV-LC60C6500U.product.100037851.html

The Samsung: http://www.costco.com/Samsung-60%22-1080p-120Hz-LED-HDTV-UN60EH6050F.product.11757787.html

The way I see it, is the Sharp has the benefit of being a "Smart TV". However, it is Edge Lit. The Samsung is not a Smart TV, but it seems to be back lit instead of edge lit. I don't know if this matters or not? The Sharp is $200 cheaper. They both have an RS232 port, but are there RS232 drivers written for each?

I doubt the Samsung is back-lit, they haven't done one in ages, indeed the last company that shifted to side-lit as far as I remember is Sharp.

Back-lit technically gives a more even distribution, but adds an inch or more to the depth of TVs.

Smart being an advantage would fully depend on if you intend to use it. I for one never do.

The Sammy is 120 Hz with 240Hz dynamic/virtual, the Sharp is 120Hz flat. Not a big fan of the virtual ratings, but it tends to give a slight edge in sports etc.

Biggest downside for me on the Sharp is that it's not the quattron series, which means I wouldn't even bother with it.

Between the two I'd lean towards the Samsung for quality. I'd pay the 400 extra bucks for the quattron 240Hz Sharp if this was a main viewing TV, if not, I'd stick with the lower price though....

Well, I decided to pull the trigger on the Sharp. It's a TV that's going to be used in a play area for the kids...and is right next to the theater. The TV looked great on the wall at the store, and I'm sure it will work fine here.

Was gathering everything to get it hung today and realized all my RS232 connectors are female. Drats. Looks like I need to put the project off until next weekend...time to go order some more stuff (isn't that always how it goes?).

As I sit here, ready to order some more RS232 adapters I noticed that there is a Certified Network/IP driver for the Sharp LC-60LE835. I bought the LC-60LE650U...anybody have any ideas if I can get away with using that driver?

Archived