C4 Forums | Control4

Dimmer with LED can light bulbs

drmark12pa

I recently made the jump and installed 6 can light LED bulbs (65w equivalent) that each draw 12w. I have them all on the same Control4 dimmer. At first, I had no issues at all but now I'm getting where they will flicker and then eventually shut off when trying to dim or starting at a dimmed setting. I replaced one of the bulbs with a standard bulb and that seemed to correct the issue (I'm assuming from the current draw). I then went back to the LED and it worked again for a few days. Now it happened again. After turning the light on and off several times I was able to get it to dim properly.

Is this an issue with the non ELV dimmer? Will I need an upgraded/newer Control4 dimmer to work with these 6 LEDs?

It's interesting in my kitchen I only have 5 LED cans 65w equivalent though a different brand of bulb and they work perfectly with dimming on a Control4 dimmer. However, in my theater area, 6 of the LEDs on the dimmer are not ok...

Are there differences in the "regular" Control4 dimmers based on how old/new they are (ie 1st, 2nd, or 3rd generation)? Or do I just need to get an ELV version?

Yes, there are 1st gen and 2nd gen dimmers, which operate slightly differently.

The 3rd gen dimmers are the ones that are just coming out now.

Unfortunately, I don't know the cutoff date for when 2nd gen dimmers arrived on the scene.

Sorry.

RyanE

Yes, there are 1st gen and 2nd gen dimmers, which operate slightly differently.

The 3rd gen dimmers are the ones that are just coming out now.

Unfortunately, I don't know the cutoff date for when 2nd gen dimmers arrived on the scene.

Sorry.

RyanE

Ryan,

Do you know the model numbers of the 1st vs. 2nd generation dimmers? This would likely explain why one room works with the Control4 dimmer (presumably a 2nd generation) vs the other room (with even 1 more light) not working properly likely using a 1st generation.

I just checked in Composer HE and the dimmer in my theater that is having trouble on the 6 LED cans is model LDZ102 yet the dimmer in the kitchen running 5 LED cans is also and LDZ102. I'm guessing at this point I'll need to do the ELV version to get the results I need.

I talked to my dealer today and he will install but did mention not to mix the standard bulbs with the LEDs in the same switch as this can cause a fire even if the dimmer is not a Control4 product due to differing resistance.

Does anyone here think it's worthwhile to try swapping one of my other LDZ102's for the one that doesn't seem to be working properly or just bite the bullet and go with the ELV?

I talked to my dealer today and he will install but did mention not to mix the standard bulbs with the LEDs in the same switch as this can cause a fire even if the dimmer is not a Control4 product due to differing resistance.

I have a hard time believing this is true. This would seem to be the case with CFL as well and we would have had a lot of fires. This would be very common as people replace burnt-out incandescents with alternatives and in the process would have mixtures.

Yeah, I also think the dealer is incorrect in saying that mixing load types could cause a fire.

From the dimmer's perspective, a load is a load. From the load's perspective, the load can't tell whether a single incandescent or a bunch of incandescents and LEDs are on the line, since they're in parallel.

The thing you need to look out for is overloading the dimmer, and if you're talking about having a circuit full of LEDs, that's kind of hard to do in a setup wired for incandescents.

RyanE

• 8 months later...

Resurrecting this thread for a related question.

Thinking about moving to 4 LED cans in one room that I have a standard Dimmer on ... but am guessing I might need to move to the ELV dimmer.  I'm still on 1.7 ... do the ELV dimmers support embernet or only Zigbee Pro?

Well, bought the LED cans (Sylvania 12W dimmable) from Lowes.  Works fine with my gen1 dimmer (at least for now).  Needed more light in one room, and the LEDs are 50% more lumens.  Color temp was slightly colder at full brightness, but these cans warm the temp at lower brightness.  In my opinion, they would be good options for a theater room if you wanted to use LEDs.

• 4 months later...

Is it possible that LED would work fine on a DIM1 for a time and then stop working?  The DIM1 provides no power to the LEDs.  But it is online.  Another DIM1 with 6 LEDs is online, provides power to the LEDs.. but cannot control the load.  Its always on.  The only way off is to pull the air gap.  Both were working fine for over a year.  Any thoughts?

• 2 months later...

I have LDZ 101 dimmers all over the house and in my family room I recently switched to LED bulbs for my four (4) can lights to see how they look.  They're bright as hell and I usually dim them down to 50 percent with the LDZ 101 dimmer.  No issues at all.  I also have CFL bulbs in other parts of the house on the LDZ 101 dimmer switches... now they don't dim the CFLs since they're non-dimmable bulbs, but they turn the lights on and off with no problem.

Archived