C4 Forums | Control4

OT: Using Apple products for complete wifi coverage

tebery

My current wifi situation is a mess. I have been just piecing products here and there and still don't have the full coverage I want.

I currently have:

- Netgear access point at the router location on the far west side of the house with luxul booster and 2 luxul antenna's

- In the middle of the house I have a Apple Express

- Pool house (far east side of the house) an old netgear access point

The Apple product is definitely the strongest unit through out the house.

I was looking at just adding more Apple Express unit ($99 a piece) they would all be hardwired.

Any help or opinions would be much appreciated!

Thanks

My current wifi situation is a mess. I have been just piecing products here and there and still don't have the full coverage I want.

I currently have:

- Netgear access point at the router location on the far west side of the house with luxul booster and 2 luxul antenna's

- In the middle of the house I have a Apple Express

- Pool house (far east side of the house) an old netgear access point

The Apple product is definitely the strongest unit through out the house.

I was looking at just adding more Apple Express unit ($99 a piece) they would all be hardwired.

Any help or opinions would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Couple of basic questions,,,,how many SQft? Type of construction? how many floors? heavy wifi area (dense tight neighbors or farm) and so on....

To give any help on this subject (with any thought) would require some info. I do highly recommend Ubiquity (www.ubnt.com) and thier Unify solution. Have used it in many places including large apartment buildings without a hassle.

/\

about 4400 square feet, story and a half, wood framing, full basement. It is a long house 100+ feet from end to end. No neighbors around.

We are become more of an Apple user, less of PC. 3 iPhones, 2 iPads, 1 Mac laptop. Only 1 PC laptop in use.

You can look at a managed solution like Ruckus Wireless

Good stuff but sounds like overkill.

OP: You could do what your suggesting but a better option is something like has been suggested. A managed solution or something similar.

Ubiquiti Unifi Long Range access points or their Pro access points would be economical and provide better control over your network vs what you have now.

I've got two of the pro units in a 2.5 story home, 5800 sqft and have amazing coverage every inch of the house. I've also got two outdoor access points one providing the other with the Remote Internet about 600' from the house and it then provide wifi to that end of the property. It's a snap to manage with their control software.

^I can tell you it's not "overkill". The Ruckus-like system here has been wonderful and very flexible. Zero problems with operation and coverage for many years now. 1U controller and WAPs no bigger than a paperback book.

I guess it's all in what you want to spend. I've had ruckus and meraki stuff and now Ubiquiti. They all provide nearly the same functionality, though Meraki's controller is 100% cloud base, so for the cost it's hard to justify Rukus or Meraki over Ubiquiti.

I will say if your not familiar with Meraki it's a rather neat product and worth checking out. They were and might still be running a deal that if you watch a webinar and are in IT you can get a free access point with a 3 year license. It's their bottom end AP but its good for a test and to check out their cloud controller.

It's all relative. If you test with one device your needs may be different. We are Ruckus, Ubiquity, Cisco, and HP dealers. Ruckus wins in throughput every time. We also do business IT and there is a difference. Does it mean you need it, no. You also probably do not need C4 and could do the same with a Harmony remote :)

Independent test here, Ruckus #1 and Ubuiquiti #16 - out of 16

http://www.wlanpros.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Wi-Fi-Stress-Test-Report-Overview1.pdf

I guess it's all in what you want to spend. I've had ruckus and meraki stuff and now Ubiquiti. They all provide nearly the same functionality, though Meraki's controller is 100% cloud base, so for the cost it's hard to justify Rukus or Meraki over Ubiquiti.

I will say if your not familiar with Meraki it's a rather neat product and worth checking out. They were and might still be running a deal that if you watch a webinar and are in IT you can get a free access point with a 3 year license. It's their bottom end AP but its good for a test and to check out their cloud controller.

Agreed on all points, though I found ubiquiti to provide better coverage than Meraki. And if you host your unifi controller in AWS you have essentially a similar setup.

Apple Airport Express make great WAPs - great size/profile and excellent strength. Setup takes all of 5 minutes, if that.

Old express was handy as a plug-in, new gen is not any longer.

Strength is mediocre at best when compared to true APs

You can screw up a network in about 5 minutes of set-up (using extender function vs AP).

It's also a named piece as being not recommended (even do not use) by C4, so should there be issues C4 Tech COULD tell a dealer to get rid of them or be on his own - although they're not very inclined to do so with anything other than ISP combo units or WRTG54's

Good AP's in a similar price range:

Asus EA-N66

Engenius ECB3500 or ECB350

These will give you a better coverage then the express, although they may take 10 minutes to set up instead of 5. All above have the ability to have radio strength increased as well (natively), just be sure they don't run too hot when you do.

I'll agree that the others mentioned - Ruckus, Ubiquity and Meraki all give a better coverage and experience - but not everyone needs it or is willing to pay for it - as is their right.

It's also a named piece as being not recommended (even do not use) by C4,

Cyknight,

Are you saying the Express is not on the recommend list and/or the Extreme (as a router)?

Also, what would a C4 system be using wifi for (aside from a C4 wireless touch screen, which I have none)?

Thanks!

Sounds like C4 does not like Apple, everything I Gave read us to not use it. I have a extreme and it works great but being good to repalce it when my C4 us installed. Not sur why, Apple products just seem to work every time you News it, unlike a PC. The reson I Sam us I want to use 2 extremes in my new house as WAP's too. C4 wants u to use the iPad of iPhone but nothing else they make, I have to have a PC in the house just to program it too.

Apple Extreme gen5 is OK

its the Express C4 doesnt like...as a router, repeater or as a WAP

it doesnt mean it doesnt work, or that you cant use them......it just means they wont give your dealer basic networking support, I would be more concerned with routers and switches, especially if your using the Anywhere Access.

if you already have your system in place and it works..thats fine, if your buying new..i would look ar their recommendations......bad networking / and equip is one of the main problems with a poorly working system.

Nobody here mentioned the Extreme as a router being an issue - it works OK. Not one I'd personally use, but that's because I can get better for less (meaning less cost for client) or MUCH better for the same any day.

In fact the Extreme is on the recommended list from C4 as a router.

As above, it's the Express that is the issue.

C4 uses Wifi for whatever is run wireless of course, the problem with WiFi REPEATERS is that they don't play nice with ANY ZigBee device. Then there's the issue that repeaters are even worse for hand-off than multiple APs of the same name for any device (C4 or otherwise) - that hand-off is the main reason managed AP systems even exist.

Not to mention that repeating units are horrible for bandwidth/throughput but that has nothing to do with C4.

Note that no device set as a repeater is supported in C4 - Apple or otherwise.

I will say I suspect PART of the reason C4 also singles out the express (and has a few side-notes on the Extreme as a warning about proper set-up) is that Apple in their infinite wisdom decided to not use all the conventional ways of setting up the devices and all the conventional ways of naming the different configurations.

Is there anything out there for end users of C4 that we can have access to that shows the recommeded do's and don't s. I really appreciate all the info and has been posted in this thread, but I would have never asked if I knew the Express was on a 'do not use' list

Since I already had an Express, I went ahead and got an Extreme (I had enough Staples Rewards to get it for free). I will post my observations.

On a side note, I have a Netgear WAP with a Luxul 1 amp booster with dual antennas and 2 25' antenna cables for sale

I have both extremes and expresses, no problems!

We have an express in the pool house, a hr200 is connected to it. The express is a wireless extention of the house network. We have a mixture of extreme and express (one per floor).

I haven't had any problems with our C4 stuff at all.

Archived