C4 Forums | Control4

Zigbee Pro Firmware Optimization

snipboy

For those of you in the know, what do you think the chances are of Zigbee Pro firmware revisions for hardware being "smaller" in kb size than they are now, down the road?

Yes, I am asking because I have obsoleted hardware because the memory chip can't handle the upgrade...

However... it is not completely without historic precident that a Zigbee revision comes along that actually makes a piece of hardware usable that a revision before was temporarily made unusable...

Obsoleted hardware (that is officially not supported anymore) will *never* be brought back to life.

The only case where things that weren't supported on ZigBee Pro and were in a later release were due to the timeframe of developing the ZigBee Pro version of the firmware, not due to issues of the device itself.

Once something's been obsoleted officially (as the V1 and V2 remotes, as well as older touchpanels), they are getting *no* development support.

Sorry.

RyanE

So, really this is more about drivers for devices than anything else? If the firmware is small enough, or someone hardware hacks an old Motion detector and puts a bigger memory chip on it, it is still impossible that it would work.

Not that I am thinking of that, of course.

It's really more about the *firmware* of the device.

i.e. there's not enough flash memory on the device to hold a larger firmware. Of course, when you realize this, you don't write the newer firmware, and the matching updated driver.

It's not feasible to try and update the flash on an existing device, you'd have to re-work it more than the value of the device.

RyanE

Archived