C4 Forums | Control4

Need to install wireless network access to a Media Controller

Lewisra2

I have an AVM-MC1-B Media Controller that I need to provide wireless -N network access. I already use a Netgear Next N wireless and wired router. I can't get wired to the room where the Media controller is located. The AVM-MC1-B has a USB port that I think would accomodate a USB wireless network adapter. These adapters are for PCs and have associated software that must be installed. Can anyone direct me to documentation as to how to set all this up for the AVM-MC1-B Media Controller? Thanks

I do not think you will be able to take a 802.11b wireless USB stick and make it work with the MC. There is no way to install the driver for your USB wireless adapter on the MC. Your best option would probably be using a wireless bridge that would connect to the Ethernet port of the MC.

I think you may have an option with a game adapter. I think XBOX has a wirless G adapter that plugs into the ethernet outlet? You could use this as an option? (If I am right, it has been a while since I used wireless - everthing is wired in my house now).

you can use a linysys WAP54g (the 1 port version) and use it as a client insted of an access point. Yuu must configure it via cat 5 on a pc to find the other wap in the house. Basically it becomes a very large wifi card. Ive used this serveral times and worked fine. I would not plan on streaming media from this location however. The bandwith will be spotty.

these waps also work great in repeater mode to boost the wifi signal in the house.

-steve

I would recommend the Linksys game adapter for what your trying to do. If you need something more robust and to extend the network further throughout the installation, I would look into Proxim Orinoco-AP4000 with the mesh wireless capability. I have used these to install make shift networks for conferences and they have performed reliably.

Bryan

http://www.thesohoshop.com

Archived